My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Read about Mumsnet users' perfect UK breaks

424 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 27/01/2020 10:43

This thread is now closed.

There’s no question that staycations are on the rise. And whether you’d consider one because they can be cheaper, easier with a large family, you want to appreciate the UK or simply because you can bring your dogs along too, Parkdean Resorts would like to hear about what your ideal UK staycation looks like.

Here’s what Parkdean Resorts has to say: “We are the UK’s largest Holiday Park operator with 67 locations in some of the most stunning coastal, countryside and lakeside locations. From the impressive Scottish Highlands to the sunny South Coast, a Parkdean Resorts holiday is a great way to explore the UK and discover your new favourite spot.

Adventurers can camp with their tent, touring caravan or even try Glamping. Or choose from a huge choice of caravans, lodges and hot tub lodges including brand new accommodation for 2020, to suit all budgets and family sizes packed with everything you need for a stress-free holiday. And with 66 parks offering dog friendly accommodation, you really can bring the whole family on your holiday.

Find the best choice of accommodation by booking early, with deposits from only £25. And, you can now spread the cost of your holiday in easy and affordable monthly Direct Debit payments. Perfect!”

Would you be looking for a beachside break for the whole family while hoping the British rain holds off or do you think a couples midweek retreat sounds like the perfect way to recharge your batteries? Where in the UK is next on your list to visit? If you already ‘staycation’ regularly, what do you enjoy about it?

All who share what their perfect UK break would look like on the thread below will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

OP posts:
NewModelArmyMayhem18 · 03/02/2020 06:53

I would like to go up to Scotland too but further north than Edinburgh and Glasgow. A trip long overdue.

Would like somewhere that had all the advantages of a 'breath of fresh air' from city living but also things that teens would enjoy.

TheCoolerQueen · 03/02/2020 07:12

We always holiday in the UK because we have a dog and love to take him with us.
Lake District, Peak District, Northumberland, Scottish Highlands are all favourites. Anywhere where there's hills and peaks to climb or stunning scenery.

We're not at all bothered about on-site entertainment, usually if we've done a tough hike that day we just want to flake out and relax. A hot tub is a bonus!

BlessedBeTheFruitCake · 03/02/2020 07:20

A range of entertainment and activities for all ages. It's hard to find things to do that suit 6-16 year olds as our DC's have a large gap.

1moreRep · 03/02/2020 08:07

somewhere dog friendly near a beach and has separate rooms for my dds.

a good swimming pool and a hot tub for me.

needs a gym on sight with activities.

a quality farm shop from the local area on sight would be amazing

sarahm1234 · 03/02/2020 09:34

My ideal UK break is a holiday park with entertainment for toddlers, an indoor swimming pool and plenty to do if it rains! A hot tub in the accommodation is a bonus so we can relax while the children are asleep

starray · 03/02/2020 10:55

My perfect U.K. break would be one where we stay in a lovely lodge with a fireplace, nature and woodland within walking distance, but also close to cultural activities like theatres, restaurants and museums.

HammeringBird · 03/02/2020 12:23

DC are 11 and 8 and we have a dog.

Perfect UK holiday for us would be a dog-friendly campsite with an adventure playground and swimming pool. Somewhere secure enough for the children to roam freely and have a bit of independence. Easy access to walks, cycle paths, and maybe some other adventure activities. We also love a bit of bushcraft. An on-site dog sitter would be amazing. The dog can limit some options - especially when camping, as he doesn't like being left on his own at the tent. And maybe some activities the children could sign up to without me - they do tend to just go off and make friends on campsites, but it would be nice to occasionally have some alone time for me, too.

I'm actually looking at dog sitters as part of my plans for this year's holiday. We want the dog with us and the beauty of camping is that he can come, too, but it's nice to be able to things like canoeing and not have to worry about him.

A good campsite shop or a supermarket nearby. As it's just the children, dog and me, it's a real pain if I forget something and have to drag everyone out to get it.

IamPickleRick · 03/02/2020 13:01

I love wild beaches so the Welsh or Cornish coasts for me. Little rock pools, massive expanse of sand with little streams running through it that we all compete furiously to build dams over, with just enough wind for a kite. I love to see the whole horizon, I want pure sky from left to right, even if it’s cloudy, I like to feel small compared to the nature around me. I would love to go to Scotland, maybe the inner Hebrides so that I could have nothing around me for miles.

On camp I like a pool, maybe a lazy river, with an outdoor decking area with a view. A soft play, however small, a good play area for the kids and while everyone loves direct beach access, I don’t mind a little walk. A good restaurant onsite, maybe a little takeaway or outdoor bbq type bar, and a shop with essentials. And a caravan/lodge with a hot tub, that isn’t on a main walkway to the clubhouse (100% essential!)

I love parkdeans entertainment because it’s not too overwhelming for the little ones, my mum made a Lizzy costume that has been handed down by the family but Lizzy wears a different outfit now. My son even wore it last year!

Shangrilalala · 03/02/2020 14:19

We’ve actually been discussing this very same thing in the last few days.

Not something we’ve done before and I’m not sure my dream exists: a rustic cabin/lodge with a touch of luxury, a decent on site pub/restaurant with nice beach walks in close proximity.

I’d like to explore regions we’ve never been to as a family. Suffolk, Norfolk, Cornwall and Northern Ireland are high on the list.

Carriecakes80 · 03/02/2020 14:24

I have now been going to Vauxhalls Caravan park (Which I believe is a Parkdean park) in Great Yarmouth for nearly 40 years...and what I look for in a holiday is massively old-fashioned, a break from the hum-drum!
I love the Horses and carts ride along the front, fish n chips on the pier, arcades, donkey rides, Punch & Judy shows while scoffing donuts, fairground rides, and sandcastles with huge moats leading down to the shore...
We love the safe feeling we get at Vauxhalls, which of course is a huge thing, the food is good, the price is great, and sure its changed hugely over the years, but its the memories that keep me going back! x

jwhite220893 · 03/02/2020 15:12

Cosy stay in a cute little cottage in the yorkshire moors!

stephc007 · 03/02/2020 15:54

Our perfect UK break would be to the seaside, somewhere quiet with plenty of space, with access to indoor and outdoor pools and possibly even a hot tub.

SmileyShazza · 03/02/2020 16:41

Our perfect break has plenty of activities for all the family to enjoy, some inside and some outside because let's face it the one thing you can't rely on in the UK is the weather.

Wherever we stay would have a pool ideally in varying depths with a couple of slides and a shallow area as both our children enjoy waterparks but once is much more confident in the water than the other.

As well as activities that can be done on site it would be great if there were places to go in the surrounding areas so that you can go off site for days out if you want to. It can get a bit boring being in the same place for a few days so local activities and places to see offer an alternative option.

Accommodation wise it needs to be comfortable and functional preferably with cooking facilities so we can prepare our own meals (as this can keep costs down) a decent TV and wifi would be great too.

The most important thing is that there is plenty of stuff to do and lots of fun ways we can make memories together as a family.

Anjo2011 · 03/02/2020 17:49

Home from home comfort, plenty of things to
Do on site, quiet areas If that’s what you want, near a beach or lovely walk (or both!) , swimming pool, evening entertainment, ease of getting around and a stress free holiday which is what is needed with children.

phillie1 · 03/02/2020 18:18

Cottage in Cornwall, and it doesnt rain for our entire stay - dont care what the temperature is, but just hate getting soaked(which we have every time we go to Cornwall each summer!)

quizqueen · 03/02/2020 18:43

Lots of activities and facilities for all age ranges (and quite spaces too!) onsite. Suitable comfortable and affordable accommodation reasonably near the sea and countryside and a town. Nice weather but that can't be guaranteed!

Peony99 · 03/02/2020 18:59

Beautiful views!

cheekychicken24 · 03/02/2020 19:39

We very rarely go abroad as we like the family dogs to stay with the family on holiday! We tend to book seaside cottages in traditional resorts - usually Northumberland, Norfolk or Suffolk.

Although it's technically a self catering holiday, we really only cater for our own breakfast & lunch (sandwiches) & eat out at night.

Igmum · 03/02/2020 20:27

Hot tub. Fresh air. Activities to persuade the teenagers to look up from their screens

GalaxyAddict · 03/02/2020 21:57

We go to holiday parks a lot. I am a single Mum & my daughter is 9 with high functioning autism. It feels safe, not being too far from home. My daughter loves the evening entertainment & the staff are so accommodating towards her.
We alway pick our holiday by how far from home (no longer than 3 hours in the car). Price is always a massive factor, Parmesan are very reasonable.
Must have an outdoor pool, not so fussed about an indoor pool, unless it's winter time. Nice to be in reasonable distance from a beach. Best winter holiday was Warmwell and we got an amazing upgrade, West Bay is also great & ideal beach location. Best summer holiday for us was Sanford, good outdoor pool & short drive to Poole

Kittensgalore · 04/02/2020 07:12

We go to holiday parks a lot, for the kids they want a swimming pool ideally with slides or flumes. I like a caravan with a deck so I can sit outside and some kind of view rather than just rows of other caravans.

HowsAnnie25 · 04/02/2020 12:14

We like a caravan break, it's good versatile accommodation and makes it easy for us to come and go as we please. We never really like the entertainment at these type of places though as there never seems to be enough room so we just have evenings in the caravan. I wish the pool areas were a bit less manic too. Our favourite places in the UK are North Yorkshire and Norfolk - less than 3 hours for both from our home and lovely coastline and countryside.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

peartsue · 04/02/2020 12:46

It has to be clean, by the sea. We love Parkdeans Eyemouth holiday park. Lovely site and great area.

Dangermouse80 · 04/02/2020 13:13

Family camping but where there is space between each pitch. Plenty of playground facilities too and close to the beach are all our key priorities when deciding where to stay.

bigarse1 · 04/02/2020 13:42

Any holiday would be lovely especially if near a beach where the kids could play to their hearts content. With 3 children, two that have autism life is tough and any break would would be soooo welcome!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.