My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

Sponsored threads

Share your tips for making your home a happy place with Crown Paints

400 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 02/04/2019 12:31

This activity is now closed

Home is a place many of us feel our most comfortable and happy, and making your house a place you feel like you can truly call home is personal and individual. Crown would like to hear your tips for making your home a happy place.

Here’s what Crown has to say: “We have exciting new paint shades to update your home this spring in our Breatheasy® matt and silk finish which is 99% solvent free and now certified asthma & allergy friendly® – a fresh look for your room and peace of mind for you, allowing you to create a healthier and happier home”

Have you added a splash of colour to your walls to brighten up your home? Perhaps you’ve filled your home with art that inspires you, or you have plants in every room to bring life to your surroundings?

All who post below what makes their home a happy place will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list), plus £100 worth of paint of their choice from //crownpaints.co.uk.

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

OP posts:
BristolMum96 · 02/04/2019 17:03

What makes my house happy is my toddler being allowed to have toys everywhere and I don't worry about her making a mess. Homes are for making memories and actually being lived in

DonPablo · 02/04/2019 17:07

I'm mid redecorating the entire house. What makes my house a happy house is one where we can all find everything we need! And one with houseplants. Always on the look out for unusual house plants and pots, makes a real difference in my opinion!

voyager50 · 03/04/2019 09:52

Having everyone that lives there help to decide the decor and furniture so that it feels like everyone has contributed how their home looks and chooses things that makes them happy.

Osquito · 03/04/2019 10:35
  • Having personally chosen pieces (as simple as a framed print or something big like an emerald-coloured sofa)
  • Fresh flowers in a vase, or divided up into jamjars... always makes me feel like I’ve made an effort, even when the laundry’s piling up Blush
  • Cleanliness. I don’t enjoy cleaning but it makes a difference to your state of mind, let alone health.
  • Putting up artwork, not just family photos. When I visit other people’s homes and see posters of art, or even real paintings/little sculptures, I feel it really adds that sense of ‘their’ home. It doesn’t matter if I don’t personally like the artwork, I like seeing people having loved something ‘exterior’ to their household to bring it in.
chl0e123 · 03/04/2019 11:52

A Home means a new chapter in my family's lives, a fresh new start, safety, security, and unity.

anitagreen · 03/04/2019 11:56

I like seeing my kids toys out and about I think they add character to my home, I have a very nice clean well decorated home it's taken me years to get it how I want, but pride of place on my kitchen worktop is my daughters troll it's colourful and it's a mark of having children in the house to me lol

sharond101 · 03/04/2019 11:59

Love and lights. Love for wellbeing and lights for aesthetics x

Caillou · 03/04/2019 12:50

I love my kids to enjoy their childhood by having lots of fun (and of course toys) so for us lots of storage is a must have, they have fun, but toys are tidied at the end of the day so we can enjoy a tidy house in the evening.

GooodMythicalMorning · 03/04/2019 13:19

light and lots of storage. less clutter makes it a happier place.

Dewysungoddess · 03/04/2019 15:15

Calm colours and cosy chairs surrounded by family photos

IWouldBeSuperb · 03/04/2019 15:20

Cosy lighting and nice smells!

I have way too many lamps and scented candles - different flavours for every occasion and season!

m0jit0 · 03/04/2019 15:59

Lots of storage to hide the clutter!

SherlocksDeerstalker · 03/04/2019 16:03

We have just moved into our ‘foever’ Home this weekend. It already feels like home - none of the paint/carpet was chosen by us, the fittings aren’t my style, the inches thick gloss on the woodwork makes me sweaty! But already I know it’s a home my family will grow in. To make my home happy, I like light and colour. Splashes is brighnrss here and there, as simple as a bold curtain design, a modern rug. Anything to bring brightness and light in.

MargoLovebutter · 03/04/2019 16:27

Obviously the most important things that makes a home happy are the people in it but surroundings do make a difference too.

DS is autistic, so I like soft, gentle colours in shades that work well together to help create a relaxing and calming atmosphere. I like quirky and interesting bits of art and particularly like to find things when I'm on holiday to bring back. I don't have loads of money, so it might be an unusual tea towel or some retro style postcards that I can frame.

Lighting is also really important as that can really alter the atmosphere of a room. I'm not keen on overhead lights and tend to go for side lamps and uplighters - again trying to keep a calm feeling atmosphere.

JanuarySun · 03/04/2019 17:17

Bright colours, my favourite picture at the top of the stairs

MrsFrTedCrilly · 03/04/2019 17:47

I love colour and always paint walls in bright light colours. Rely heavily on colourful accessories, soft furnishings and bright bedding to make things homely. I think everyone had idea of what makes things homely. I want people in my house to feel relaxed and welcome so it’s clean but not pristine!

Elllicam · 03/04/2019 18:27

We have the best of both worlds, a beautiful, pale blue and grey, peaceful living room which makes me relax and a chaotic, toy filled playroom where the kids can jump on the furniture.

foxessocks · 03/04/2019 18:55

Warmth, cosiness, family things around , tidy at the end of the day (mostly!)

Popcornandbuttons · 03/04/2019 19:37

We are renovating our house so it is in no way perfect or complete. But the things that make it a happy space - the extra large windows which bring in loads of light, and the space from opening up the rooms. My children having the space to play and have areas for their toys and for drawing.
Some finished rooms would be great but we're happy anyway!

cannotmakemymindup · 03/04/2019 20:28

As we rent our home and do not have control over the colours on our walls, I like to make our home a happy place with a warm inviting atmosphere. Everyone who visits always know that they'll get fed, a drink plus probably a laugh or two or a shoulder to cry on and a friend to rant with.
We have room diffusers that are calming yet food like - think vanilla, gingerbread and sandalwood. A big corner sofa that rather envelopes you when you sit down to relax.
Plenty of natural light wherever possible. Lots of signs - hearts, love etc, I know some find tacky but I love them. Oh and there's nearly always cake, pudding or dessert in our house to. That surely makes everyone smile. Smile

sarat1 · 03/04/2019 20:40

Plenty of photographs of happy memories around the house (and artwork purchased from holidays) helps make each room in the house a happy one.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 03/04/2019 21:01

After years of entirely cream walls, I finally persuaded dp to use very subtle colours in two rooms, so we've got a lovely green in one room and a pale gold in another. They feel so much warmer and friendlier than the cream.

Other than that, I think the thing that most helps to make a house a hime is books - lots and lots (and lots and lots) of lovely books!

PickAChew · 03/04/2019 22:28

Having all your favourite things around you. For DS2 that means a bed full of lego tyres!

PickledChicory · 03/04/2019 23:23

Nice family photos on display. We are currently working on more organised storage so we can find everything. So much time is wasted looking for stuff. It would be nice to have a stylish magazine photo shoot kinda house but ill settle for cosy and lived in.

Theimpossiblegirl · 04/04/2019 10:38

I love a tidy house so lots of storage and not too much clutter. Neutral, calm colours, lots of light and space are my preference and adding candles cushions and accessories also make a room feel very cosy and homelike. A ready supply of tea biscuits and loving dog finish it off nicely.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.