Mumsnet Insight Terms and Conditions
We run research with our users to improve Mumsnet, to inform our campaigns and comments on current events, and also to help brands and the public sector understand parents. We do this in a number of ways including via surveys, product tests, events, live chats, Q&As and sponsored Talk threads. We call this “Mumsnet Insight”.
Privacy of your data
- In most cases, your contact details will be collected solely for the purpose of being entered into prize draws. There are two main exceptions: product tests and sponsored events (as explained below), and case studies/media case studies. For the latter, we make it clear that it’s entirely up to you whether you would like to hear more about being a media case study, and it’s up to you whether you provide us with your contact details so that we can tell you more about the process. We will never collect these details for case study purposes without your explicit consent.
- For surveys, details of all non-winning entrants will be deleted once the winner has accepted the prize – normally straight away and within a maximum of 3 months.
- For product tests and sponsored events, details of all non-selected applicants will be deleted once we’ve selected testers or attendees. The details of selected testers or attendees will be deleted within a maximum of 3 months of the activity closing.
- For media case study details, we will retain your personal contact details for as long as the campaign or media work is active. For Mumsnet Campaigns this can be up to a year, or even longer in the case of our long-running campaigns (such as Better Miscarriage Care and Better Postnatal Care), but we will regularly review whether we still need to be holding your details and delete all data that is no longer relevant.
- Comments posted on all Talk threads in the Mumsnet Insight Talk topic ‘Product tests and surveys’ (which amongst others includes Product Tests, Sponsored Threads, Surveys, Sponsored Events, Sponsored Q&As and any private Mumsnet Insight threads) may be used in further marketing materials by Mumsnet and the brand or organisation sponsoring the Talk thread. If your comment is used in any further marketing materials, you will be referenced as “Mumsnet User” or “Mumsnet Tester” (not your Mumsnet username, real name or email address). Please only post if you’re happy with this.
- Additional data privacy details relating to prize draws, product tests, surveys and sponsored events are described below.
To be eligible for Mumsnet Insight prize draws, you must be:
a) A UK resident
b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry
c) A registered member of Mumsnet
Prize draws are not open to employees of Mumsnet or their immediate families, or to anyone promoting the project.
You can find out who has won a particular project by looking at our Winners Corner. Only your Mumsnet username will be shown (not your email address or real name).
You can be entered into an Insight prize draw in any of the following ways:
- Posting a response on a sponsored Talk thread
- Giving required feedback on a product test you’re participating in, where there is an advertised prize draw
- Giving required feedback on an event you’ve attended, where there is an advertised prize draw
- Completing a survey with an advertised prize draw
- Taking part in a live chat or private thread with an advertised prize draw
- Asking a question in a sponsored Q&A with an advertised prize draw
The winner will be chosen at random from all eligible entrants. Only one entry per person can be made.
If you win:
- We’ll notify you by email or private message on Mumsnet
- If we don’t get a response to the private message or email within 14 days or the winner is unable to accept the prize, the prize will be offered to a runner-up.
- If the runner-up does not respond or is unable to accept the prize, the prize will be offered to another runner-up.
- The prize is not exchangeable for cash or any other prize. If, for any reason, an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Our decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
If you complete a survey, unless we explicitly ask for your permission, we will delete the email address you supply to complete the survey after 3 months. We will use your responses to produce data in aggregate (e.g. “10% of users live in London”, or “70% of users agree”).
Product and Service Tests
If you apply to take part in a product or service test, we will use your responses to questions within the survey (e.g. the age of your child) to determine your eligibility to test the product, or to ensure that the testers we select meet socio-demographic requirements. Anonymised answers to these questions may be supplied to the brand sponsor to confirm our selection.
If you are selected to take part, your name and address, plus your other answers to questions we have asked for the test (such as your age, or your child’s nappy size) will, with your permission, be shared with the brand sponsor for them to dispatch the product to you or to organise the service. If needed for delivery we will also share your email address and/or phone number. We will never pass on your Mumsnet username; this will be used solely for verifying that you’ve given feedback. Your details will only be used for the dispatch of the product or organisation of the service and not for any other purpose.
Members of the Mumsnet Insight Team may use your email address and/or mobile number so that they can contact you to remind you to give feedback or to notify you of your selection in a product test.
If the product test you take part in has an associated feedback survey, we will use the email address you supply to verify that you’ve given feedback and for the prize draw only, and not for any other purpose. The responses you give to the survey will be used to produce data in aggregate (e.g. 85% of testers were satisfied with the product).
We will delete the personal details you supply to take part in the product test within three months of the product test ending.
If you apply to attend a sponsored event, for example a store opening or cinema screening, then we will use your responses to questions within the sign-up survey (e.g. the age of your child) to determine your eligibility to attend the event, or to ensure that the attendees we select represent a wide range of experiences. The anonymised answers to these questions may be supplied to the brand sponsor.
If you are selected, your name (and address, email address or mobile number if appropriate and the fact that you have given consent) will be shared with the brand sponsor so that they can add you to the guestlist. We will never pass on your Mumsnet username; this will be used solely for verifying that you’ve given feedback.
Members of the Mumsnet Insight Team may use your email address and/or mobile number so that they can contact you to remind you to give feedback or notify you that you have been selected to attend an event.
If the event you attend has an associated feedback survey, we will use the email address you supply to verify that you’ve given feedback and for the prize draw only, and not for any other purpose. The responses you give to the survey will be used to produce data in aggregate (e.g. 85% of testers were satisfied).
We will delete the personal details you supply when signing up to attend the event within three months of the event taking place or the feedback thread closing.
Last updated: 24th May 2018