Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I’ve stolen her retirement plans (apparently).

239 replies

Sparrownest1 · 24/08/2022 18:47

In my late 50s and in a lovely relationship, DP and I have sports and hobbies in common and have made some great adventure travel plans. His XW tells everyone that I’ve stolen her retirement and now she can’t afford to do any of the things she was looking forward to. He had asked her to do many of these things but she just didn’t want to join him or be involved in his retirement dreams, so in the end this was part of the reason he left. I feel like I’m being made out to be a terrible person and don’t know if there is anything I can do.

OP posts:
Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 24/08/2022 18:51

What business is it of hers?

Please
or

PonyPatter44 · 24/08/2022 18:51

How do you know she is saying these things? Who is telling you?

If its him, I would wonder what his motivation is for telling you.

Please
or

Branleuse · 24/08/2022 18:55

I think best ignore her

Please
or

LonginesPrime · 24/08/2022 18:57

I feel like I’m being made out to be a terrible person and don’t know if there is anything I can do.

Like what??

Are you friends with her?

Please
or

frozendaisy · 24/08/2022 18:57

Don't think about it.
Presuming they were split up before he met you if anything he took her retirement plans away.

It's just boring now when women blame other women for what is clearly, again, if anything the man's fault or perhaps even her own fault.

Who cares what she thinks. Enjoy your adventures.

Please
or

ClocksGoingBackwards · 24/08/2022 18:57

Maybe that’s how she feels if her DP left against her will and began a relationship with you more quickly than she can comfortably cope with. She might not be right, but if she’s hurting and you’re having a lovely relationship and enjoying life, just quietly let her get on with it.

Please
or

JudgeRindersMinder · 24/08/2022 18:58

What can you do?

Enjoy your retirement with your do of course!

Please
or

ivykaty44 · 24/08/2022 19:01

His XW tells everyone that I’ve stolen her retirement and now she can’t afford to do any of the things she was looking forward to.

when everyone tells you this, what do you say?
perhaps tell them you had no idea what her retirement plans were and you have yours already planned out from before you met dp

Please
or

Wonnle · 24/08/2022 19:33

Not exactly everyone , she hasn't told me yet

Please
or

Brigante9 · 24/08/2022 19:35

Who’s passing on these messages? Cos they can shut up for a start. Ultimately, if they had different aims, there was no future for them.

Please
or

Campervangirl · 24/08/2022 19:45

Wonnle · 24/08/2022 19:33

Not exactly everyone , she hasn't told me yet

😂She hasn't told me either 😂

Please
or

Unicorn2022 · 24/08/2022 19:57

I feel a bit sorry for his ex as it must be difficult if you've been married for a long time, expecting it to be till death us do part and then suddenly had the rug pulled from under you. Also you've only got his word for it that she didn't want to join in any of his retirement plans or dreams. A lot of men do rewrite history somewhat when they move on.

There is nothing you can do about it though, except ignore all the comments and carry on enjoying your own life and relationship.

Please
or

Workawayxx · 24/08/2022 19:59

I’d try not to worry and limit your exposure to her thoughts on you and your plans. It may be understandable if she feels the rug has been pulled out from under her a bit but it’s not your problem basically.

Please
or

Str8talker · 24/08/2022 20:02

Tell her your planning a round-the-world cruise before looking at holiday homes!

Please
or

Harridan1981 · 24/08/2022 20:03

I assume there was an overlap?

Please
or

Johnnysgirl · 24/08/2022 20:05

Is yours a new relationship? It sounds as if all these plans your partner is making with you; he's already made with her?

Please
or

Greengreengrassofhome01 · 24/08/2022 20:05

Does she have a point?

Please
or

SquirrelSoShiny · 24/08/2022 20:08

Come on OP. There's clearly more to this story.

Please
or

Sparrownest1 · 24/08/2022 20:09

Unicorn2022 · 24/08/2022 19:57

I feel a bit sorry for his ex as it must be difficult if you've been married for a long time, expecting it to be till death us do part and then suddenly had the rug pulled from under you. Also you've only got his word for it that she didn't want to join in any of his retirement plans or dreams. A lot of men do rewrite history somewhat when they move on.

There is nothing you can do about it though, except ignore all the comments and carry on enjoying your own life and relationship.

I guess his children know she really wasn’t interested in doing any of these things and other than telling them where we are going we can keep our plans to ourselves.

OP posts:
Please
or

Sparrownest1 · 24/08/2022 20:11

Str8talker · 24/08/2022 20:02

Tell her your planning a round-the-world cruise before looking at holiday homes!

Well if we did he wouldn’t be paying for me as I was planning to do most of it myself anyway!

OP posts:
Please
or

Johnnysgirl · 24/08/2022 20:11

Sparrownest1 · 24/08/2022 20:09

I guess his children know she really wasn’t interested in doing any of these things and other than telling them where we are going we can keep our plans to ourselves.

Why are you sharing all these plans with his children?

Please
or

StillGoingStrongToday · 24/08/2022 20:11

You can send her post cards, and copies of the nice pictures of the two of you together enjoying yourselves in far-off places.

That way she gets to feel as though she’s part of it, rather than feeling upset.

You get to feel good too, knowing that while you are enjoying a Caribbean sunset in your lover’s arms you are also cheering up his ex as she goes about her shopping at Aldi.

Please
or

Hohofortherobbers · 24/08/2022 20:12

Were you the OW?

Please
or

Johnnysgirl · 24/08/2022 20:13

StillGoingStrongToday · 24/08/2022 20:11

You can send her post cards, and copies of the nice pictures of the two of you together enjoying yourselves in far-off places.

That way she gets to feel as though she’s part of it, rather than feeling upset.

You get to feel good too, knowing that while you are enjoying a Caribbean sunset in your lover’s arms you are also cheering up his ex as she goes about her shopping at Aldi.

What a shitty thing to even think of.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 24/08/2022 20:13

Why do I feel like you were her best friend and copped off with her husband?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?