Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Everyone cancelled coming to my 40th

Mycatsgoldtooth · 22/01/2022 22:53

Arranged a lovely low key 40th, dinner at a place my friendship group have always gone to, not expensive but chic. Have everyone plenty of notice. Bought outfit, husband arranged a cake. Was really excited. It’s next weekend.
I have had 6 cancellations today, leaving me with three guests. I already had a few people who wouldn’t be attending due to recently having babies. One if the women I’ve invited is having a party in a month and she’s hired a hall and has about 90 people coming, and the comparison stings.
It’s left me feeling really emotional, like I don’t have any real friends to celebrate with me. I feel like a kid at school and it’s not a feeling I’m used to. I’m content with my family and small group of good friends but this seems to have opened up some tricky emotions around how I’m valued by the people in my life.
How can I pull myself out if this funk, it’s cast such a pall on the birthday.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TooOldForButterflies · 22/01/2022 22:56

Could this be a ruse for a surprise party?

Please
or

Sarahlou63 · 22/01/2022 22:57

That sucks. What were the reasons for the cancellations? Would it work to have a fabulous dinner with your husband and then a belated - post Covid - supper party in a few weeks? Two birthdays for the price of one!

Please
or

Fluffruff · 22/01/2022 22:59

That’s really tough OP, do you think those cancelling had legit reasons? Will you go ahead with the restaurant but just for a smaller table?

Please
or

Rainbowqueeen · 22/01/2022 22:59

Oh that would make me feel bad too.
Have they pulled out for unavoidable reasons??
Even if I’d recently had a baby I’d come for a drink or for cake if I could.
💐💐 I hope they still do something lovely to make you feel special even if they can’t make the dinner

Please
or

Thirtytimesround · 22/01/2022 23:00

@TooOldForButterflies that’s kind of a cruel suggestion to get her hopes up given it almost certainly isn’t a surprise party!!

OP that was REALLY crap of your friends, I’m sorry 😢

Please
or

Moretodo · 22/01/2022 23:02

You have three guests, plus you that's four.

Let the restaurant know and go and have a lovely time celebrating your 40th.

Please
or

Mycatsgoldtooth · 22/01/2022 23:03

@TooOldForButterflies I love your optimism! Ha no sadly it’s not. But your post did make me smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mycatsgoldtooth · 22/01/2022 23:05

All sort of good reasons, babies can’t be left. and a partner in a difficult circumstance, has moved a bit further away so the travel is too much, one woman is just being flakey. The one that hurts is my best friend took a job abroad that weekend.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mycatsgoldtooth · 22/01/2022 23:07

I’m not sure if it just looks too pathetic to the three guests that this is my 40th and they are only three people there, one of whom is my neighbour 🤦🏻‍♀️. Which would have been fine in a big group of old and new friends, but stand alone makes it look like I’m just grabbing anyone near by to make up numbers.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Avarua · 22/01/2022 23:08

I'm sorry, that must make you feel stink. Honestly I'd message the ones who cancelled and say what's happened (only 3 now coming) and offer an alternative date/time. See what happens after that.

Please
or

Moretodo · 22/01/2022 23:11

Don't worry about what it looks like!
I wouldn't think anything of a dinner for four?
I'd be hard pressed to get three friends all at the same time, we are all do busy having doing it all!

Be open to enjoying yourself and having a good time.
Show appriciation and gratitude to those who come, let them know it means a lot to you.

Please
or

Beginit · 22/01/2022 23:11

That's really tough op

Don't change the date. The people who value you will prioritise the night. I'm sorry people are letting you down.

Please
or

draramallama · 22/01/2022 23:12

That is really crap, I think it'd take the wind out of anyone's sails.

You probably just need to let yourself feel how you feel and the emotions will drain away and free you up to feel excited again. Trying to suppress them will mean they stick around and fester. Let yourself feel disappointed and sad for a day, but be kind and caring towards yourself. You'll notice it lift on its own.

I'd probably want to let the remaining guests know numbers were down. I suspect your cancellations so far may have been thinking theirs wouldn't matter without appreciating others might be flaking out too.

Please
or

EileenGC · 22/01/2022 23:13

I’m sorry OP, it can’t have felt nice. Can you organise something at a later date for those who you think would be able to make it?

I’m afraid I’ve been the ‘best friend took a job abroad that weekend’ a few times. I’m in an industry where you can’t say no when offers come, and a friends’ birthday (or even your child’s) must absolutely come second even though it sounds cruel. It’s the only way to keep your career going sometimes, and perhaps the friend also needed the money on top. So I’m sure it wasn’t done with a bad intention, if you see what I mean. I honestly couldn’t cancel work / not accept it for a birthday dinner, and it does make me sad sometimes that I can’t be there for people Sad

Please
or

draramallama · 22/01/2022 23:15

@Mycatsgoldtooth

I’m not sure if it just looks too pathetic to the three guests that this is my 40th and they are only three people there, one of whom is my neighbour 🤦🏻‍♀️. Which would have been fine in a big group of old and new friends, but stand alone makes it look like I’m just grabbing anyone near by to make up numbers.

I'm not sure that'd be my thought process if I were your friend. I'd be disappointed for you, I wouldn't be judging you
Please
or

Moretodo · 22/01/2022 23:17

Don't cancel!

I would be dissapointed if I had planned to come and because others didn't you cancelled.

The show must go on.
Wear your outfit, eat your cake!
Good idea to check the others are still coming.
Heck, I would still go even if it was the two of us.
The others are probably looking forward to it, planning what to wear.

I remember one NYE it ended up just two of us and it was a cracking night.

Please
or

Summerfun54321 · 22/01/2022 23:17

Do they all know that others have cancelled? Is it worth sending a message telling everyone you want to double check numbers for next weekend as your DH has bought a big cake and a lot of people have cancelled. I think friends need to know that you’ve been shafted slightly here. A little guilt trip might make some change their mind and come.

Please
or

StCharlotte · 22/01/2022 23:18

Oh that's shit.

I know it's not the same really but DH used to captain a sports team. The drop outs would start on a Friday night. Trouble is everyone thought they were the only one so didn't think it would make much difference but when five out of 11 pull out...

Do they all know that others have pulled out?

Please
or

hopeishere · 22/01/2022 23:21

I feel for you. My 40th was crap. My "friends" couldn't make it so it was mostly my husbands friends.

I refused to have a 50th because of that. and then there was a pandemic so it didn't matter in the end anyway

Please
or

ExplodingCarrots · 22/01/2022 23:23

I'm so sorry OP. Make sure you still do something with the people who are still going . It really stings. It happened on my 30th . Nearly everyone bailed on the day. It was humiliating. My closest friends and DH who were there tried to make the best of it . I vowed to never put myself in that position again so no more parties . And each person who cancelled probably thought they wouldn't be missed because there'd be others .

Please
or

Mycatsgoldtooth · 22/01/2022 23:24

Thanks everyone. I’ve let everyone know that loads of people have cancelled, just in case anyone just couldn’t be arsed.
Thank you so much for the nice messages, it’s reassuring that I’m not being a massive diva.
It’s nice to hear other people’s opinions on what to do and their own experiences

OP's posts:
Please
or

WorstXmasEver · 22/01/2022 23:27

I had my Mrs & 2 kids at my 40th during lockdown but I know nobody else would of came anyway & that's fine with me.

What's the point in friendships when life is so short anyway is my thinking & people drift apart over time in the majority of cases.

Please
or

WorstXmasEver · 22/01/2022 23:30

Also don't build up your birthday too much as you'll end up disappointed.

I think it's really strange to have 90 people at a 40th. Must be a full time job keeping them all happy.

Please
or

Mycatsgoldtooth · 22/01/2022 23:34

@WorstXmasEver honestly a lockdown birthday night have been better Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

WildPoinsettia · 22/01/2022 23:44

That's rotten of them OP. I wouldn't feel the same about the ones who cancelled now. The one who's working that's fine they can't help that really. But the others I'd mentally downgrade them and don't prioritize them in future, they're not true friends. I vote go have fun with the ones who want to come. Friends come and go and it's said if you've got a handful of true friends then you're lucky.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.