Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Ungrateful breakfast

306 replies

Jckf · 26/01/2024 10:40

Name changed as I’ve mentioned it to a couple of people. I don’t know DPs Mum massively yet as we haven’t been together long, she’s come up to our city to visit and is staying at my house along with DP as I have a spare room.

Last night before bed she asked me if I wanted a hot breakfast making before work, I told her no thanks I will just have my usual weetabix. Woke up this morning to her at my door with breakfast… a weetabix with two poached eggs on top (no milk). I couldn’t bring myself to eat it because it looked disgusting. DP said don’t worry I will tell her you don’t like eggs on a morning and you can have your normal breakfast and took it downstairs. 5 minutes later she reappeared, two weetabix with crème fraiche and raisins. Again, vile. I just wanted weetabix with some milk in the microwave.

I don’t know her well enough to ask her to not fuck about with my breakfast and I want her to feel comfortable in my house, but I’m at work now and starving because I ended up leaving without eating. I do want DP to comment to her that I had said last night I didn’t want her making me breakfast. He just thinks it’s funny and started telling me the crap combinations they suffered as kids.

AIBU in wanting DP to nip this in the bud now or should I laugh along?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

2056 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
32%
You are NOT being unreasonable
68%
WiddlinDiddlin · 29/01/2024 02:06

I do hot weetabix in the microwave, I used to heat milk in a pan but then you've a pan to wash. Its easier to put the weetabix in the bowl, slosh on enough milk, ping for a bit... Very similar to porridge really, I don't understand why it's such an out-there, outrageous concept.

Of course if you don't like it, fine, you don't have to... but it's hardly beyond reason that others might!

Mothership4two · 29/01/2024 02:58

Jckf · 26/01/2024 11:10

This is exactly what I have!!

When I was little that was my cold weather breakfast

phoenixrosehere · 29/01/2024 03:14

EveryDayIsASchoolDayOnMN · 28/01/2024 23:04

How weird after 2 days that you choose to randomly respond to that post - and no update of what has happened 🤔

Very bizarre

No weirder than your comment suggesting that OP should have to explain about her breakfast choices while she is getting ready for the day or ignoring the fact MIL could have just asked OP how she liked her weetabix when MIL brought up breakfast in the first place the night before. Obviously by this thread, most people are particular about their weetabix and how it is prepared.

ASimpleLampoon · 29/01/2024 06:40

No advice as I'm too busy laughing. Also now I want wearable but don't have any in as I've not had it since I were six.

EveryDayIsASchoolDayOnMN · 29/01/2024 07:32

phoenixrosehere · 29/01/2024 03:14

No weirder than your comment suggesting that OP should have to explain about her breakfast choices while she is getting ready for the day or ignoring the fact MIL could have just asked OP how she liked her weetabix when MIL brought up breakfast in the first place the night before. Obviously by this thread, most people are particular about their weetabix and how it is prepared.

Edited

No weirder than your comment suggesting that OP should have to explain about her breakfast choices while she is getting ready for the day

Eh? What comment? I think you've not read my ONE post properly, I haven't said that at all

Smerpsmorp · 29/01/2024 08:03

Was there milk in with the weetabix and egg???

Mothership4two · 29/01/2024 08:19

Smerpsmorp · 29/01/2024 08:03

Was there milk in with the weetabix and egg???

a weetabix with two poached eggs on top (no milk)

chaosmaker · 29/01/2024 09:08

Weetabix is also nice buttered with jam (obviously no milk).

108Anj · 29/01/2024 09:15

I know someone who, in their teens, ate 4 or 5 weetabix dry. They had to go to A&E with severe stomach pains, as it had formed a big dry lump in his stomach. I think they counselled him to drink lots of water

MrsB74 · 29/01/2024 12:23

NoMoreFalafelsForYou · 26/01/2024 10:58

Eggs on Weetabix 😂
Although tbf you sound just as bonkers warming your Weetabix milk up in the microwave 🤣

Quite popular in our house too. My husband loves warm weetabix (I’m not so keen).

Needmorelego · 29/01/2024 12:31

"How do you have your Weetabix" could make an interesting thread.
(Wasn't/Isn't that their actual advertising slogan?).
My daughter has always liked cereal without milk.
She went through a phase of only eating shreddies if we warmed them under the grill 😂

kisstheblarney · 29/01/2024 12:41

Needmorelego · 29/01/2024 12:31

"How do you have your Weetabix" could make an interesting thread.
(Wasn't/Isn't that their actual advertising slogan?).
My daughter has always liked cereal without milk.
She went through a phase of only eating shreddies if we warmed them under the grill 😂

Edited

I've got to ask.......

How did you realise that she liked them warmed under the grill, what made you do that the first time?

Needmorelego · 29/01/2024 12:47

@kisstheblarney you know what.....I have no idea 😂😂
I have a memory of her lining some up on a hot water bottle to warm them but I can't remember if that method came first.

karpouzi · 29/01/2024 15:25

Just have a laugh about it! Life is too short to get annoyed with simple things like this and spending hours reading what people think in Mumsnet. I mean she is there for a few days not for ever!

phoenixrosehere · 29/01/2024 15:33

EveryDayIsASchoolDayOnMN · 29/01/2024 07:32

No weirder than your comment suggesting that OP should have to explain about her breakfast choices while she is getting ready for the day

Eh? What comment? I think you've not read my ONE post properly, I haven't said that at all

Apologies, meant Needmorelego comment. Hit the drop-down and forgot to highlight it.

Happyasapiginmuck1 · 29/01/2024 15:52

I've often used Weetabix as a bread substitute when I've run out of bread, just needs marg and Marmite under the egg! I'd love anyone to make my breakfast for me, just suck it up and make something as equally different for tea! She's not living with you, just visiting, so don't worry about it.

BreeBacon · 29/01/2024 16:08

Just go and make your own breakfast, she can't keep bringing gross concoctions to you then.

ThreeRingCircus · 29/01/2024 16:37

BreeBacon · 29/01/2024 16:08

Just go and make your own breakfast, she can't keep bringing gross concoctions to you then.

It was barely 6am! I'm sure OP would have happily made her own breakfast if given half a chance 🤣.

It was not kind of MIL. It's bloody rude to start rummaging through someone's kitchen cupboards/fridge and using up their food to if you're a guest and this hasn't already been arranged.

Moversnotshakers · 29/01/2024 16:44

I would laugh along with it, sounds like my DM'c crazy combinations.Pasties & cabbage anyone? . Boiled mince & tinned timatoes for bolognaise sauce with pasta cooked for 45 mins🤣

853ax · 29/01/2024 16:54

Soo random - how did she even know what time you were getting up at ? To have eggs ready.
Possibly have been better if she stayed at boyfriend studio and he stayed with you and met her.
Never never did I hear or think of eggs on Weetabix

Magicmama92 · 29/01/2024 16:55

Why hasn't anyone asked her why she does this.
So weird.
I'd just say I want to make my own breakfast but thank you for the effort. If she continues tell your partner to grow a spine and tell her to stop. I genuinely can't stand eggs and I would have vomited if I'd opened the door to that.

WickedSerious · 29/01/2024 17:18

ImCamembertTheBigCheese · 26/01/2024 10:50

Eggs on Weetabix? Why on earth would she think that they go together.

Nip it in the bud now.

DP's mum would've added a couple of rashers of bacon too.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

StarMediatorChanelle · 29/01/2024 17:56

This post and the answers are weird but i do agree with the person that said you should use your big girl words because when you didnt more weetabix went to waste. Two grown adults should be able to talk, if you dont like something just say that because clearly going through your partner didnt work either as to why you got a second undesirable breakfast, telling you to use your words is not insulting but maybe it’s confrontation as to what you are running from but if you plan to be with your man for a long time, communicating and building relationship with his people is something you should do, starting with, you like to make your own breakfast

Twazique · 29/01/2024 18:14

What did you get for breakfast today OP?

Chichimcgee · 29/01/2024 18:19

Hi boyfs mum, I just wanted to let you know that I’m not lady Grantham, this isn’t downton and I’m quite capable of getting up and getting my own breakfast.

Please don’t waste my food and let me handle the cooking. - then in a few years you can post how mil hates you and hates your cooking and you’ve no idea why 😉

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.