Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Ungrateful breakfast

306 replies

Jckf · 26/01/2024 10:40

Name changed as I’ve mentioned it to a couple of people. I don’t know DPs Mum massively yet as we haven’t been together long, she’s come up to our city to visit and is staying at my house along with DP as I have a spare room.

Last night before bed she asked me if I wanted a hot breakfast making before work, I told her no thanks I will just have my usual weetabix. Woke up this morning to her at my door with breakfast… a weetabix with two poached eggs on top (no milk). I couldn’t bring myself to eat it because it looked disgusting. DP said don’t worry I will tell her you don’t like eggs on a morning and you can have your normal breakfast and took it downstairs. 5 minutes later she reappeared, two weetabix with crème fraiche and raisins. Again, vile. I just wanted weetabix with some milk in the microwave.

I don’t know her well enough to ask her to not fuck about with my breakfast and I want her to feel comfortable in my house, but I’m at work now and starving because I ended up leaving without eating. I do want DP to comment to her that I had said last night I didn’t want her making me breakfast. He just thinks it’s funny and started telling me the crap combinations they suffered as kids.

AIBU in wanting DP to nip this in the bud now or should I laugh along?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

2056 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
32%
You are NOT being unreasonable
68%
takealettermsjones · 26/01/2024 10:44

She sounds quite endearingly bonkers 😆 but yeah DP needs to tell her to pack it in and that you'll be making it yourself! He can laugh along with her if he wants to, let her make his breakfast.

Missingmyusername · 26/01/2024 10:44

It’s your house and she’s getting you breakfast- no I wouldn’t like this at all. I know some people will say how lovely (which I suppose it is in a way) but no I would hate it. I would just say honestly it’s very kind of you, but just sort yourself out and I’ll grab something when I’m ready.
She obviously has form for gross brekkies!

PS: Eggs on weetabix ?🤢 🤣

hoarahloux · 26/01/2024 10:46

"Vile" 🙄

JadziaD · 26/01/2024 10:47

I think you have to be firm and clear, "Thank you for trying to help but really, I like my breakfast a very specific way and I prefer to make it myself - otherwise it just gets wasted."

If you want to be nice, you could suggest she makes dinner or do something if it seems like she wants to be helpful.

I think your DP needs to have your back but actually, this is a conversation that in the first instance, YOU must have with her. He's been letting her do this sort of thing his whole life, she's not going to listen to him. Your relationship with her needs to be established now so that you both know what you like/don't like.

BarbieDangerous · 26/01/2024 10:48

See now I think there’s some people that would appreciate this sort of thing but I’d hate it.

If I said that I want my usual crunchy nut for breakfast then why are you giving me crunchy nut with eggs? Why are you getting me anything when I can get it myself?! I’ll admit that I am miserable though and have a set routine so I rather do it myself.

I definitely think DP should have a quick word. Just something like ‘oh mum, don’t worry about making breakfast for Jckf, she’ll do her own breakfast in the morning’ or something like that

Acapulco12 · 26/01/2024 10:49

JadziaD · 26/01/2024 10:47

I think you have to be firm and clear, "Thank you for trying to help but really, I like my breakfast a very specific way and I prefer to make it myself - otherwise it just gets wasted."

If you want to be nice, you could suggest she makes dinner or do something if it seems like she wants to be helpful.

I think your DP needs to have your back but actually, this is a conversation that in the first instance, YOU must have with her. He's been letting her do this sort of thing his whole life, she's not going to listen to him. Your relationship with her needs to be established now so that you both know what you like/don't like.

I agree with this - I think this is a good response. It’s polite, kind and clear.

WhimsicalMoth · 26/01/2024 10:49

"Vile" 🙄

Well it is quite vile to be honest 🤣

Jckf · 26/01/2024 10:49

In addition I now need to buy more crème fraiche on the way home from work because there probably won’t be enough now for tonight’s meal.

OP posts:
ImCamembertTheBigCheese · 26/01/2024 10:50

Eggs on Weetabix? Why on earth would she think that they go together.

Nip it in the bud now.

Sirzy · 26/01/2024 10:50

Just talk to her yourself. Make it clear that you don’t need her to do breakfast. Doesn’t need to be a big song and dance thing!

Merryoldgoat · 26/01/2024 10:50

Sounds gross but I’d also find it funny.

I’d also tell her that it’s very kind but you prefer to make your own breakfast.

If she ignores you then say ‘I told you I didn’t want this and I’ll sort my own.’

NuffSaidSam · 26/01/2024 10:50

I'd take it for the funny anecdote potential. She sounds delightfully bonkers, like a character from The Vicar is Dibley.

Just sneak some breakfast out with you and don't invite her to stay too often.

NuffSaidSam · 26/01/2024 10:51

Jckf · 26/01/2024 10:49

In addition I now need to buy more crème fraiche on the way home from work because there probably won’t be enough now for tonight’s meal.

Don't worry, I'm sure she's got it covered! Goodness knows what you'll be having for dinner tonight 😂

pumpkinpiee · 26/01/2024 10:51

"Vile" 🙄

It is vile! Eggs on Weetabix 🤣

Motnight · 26/01/2024 10:51

Is she Mrs Doyle?

Scalottia · 26/01/2024 10:52

"Vile" 🙄

Yep. And 'starving'. 🙄

Jckf · 26/01/2024 10:52

Scalottia · 26/01/2024 10:52

Yep. And 'starving'. 🙄

🙄🙄

OP posts:
Bonjovispjs · 26/01/2024 10:53

Motnight · 26/01/2024 10:51

Is she Mrs Doyle?

🤣🤣🤣 Ah, go on, go on, go on.

PremiumRaa · 26/01/2024 10:53

It would only be nice if she did it in her own home (even though the food sounds vile). The fact she's doing it as a first time guest in yours shows she's completely unhinged.

Jckf · 26/01/2024 10:55

I suppose I would rather it in my house than hers, at least I knew where I could dispose of the second attempt discreetly in my house. In hers I might’ve had to eat it.

OP posts:
femfemlicious · 26/01/2024 10:55

Making people food is her love language. Why not tell her how you want it made.

PamelaParis · 26/01/2024 10:56

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PossumintheHouse · 26/01/2024 10:56

Urgh. When you get home I’d tell her thanks for getting you breakfast, but you’ll make it yourself from now on as you like it a really specific way.
Then if she did it again, I’d make a special dinner of anchovy and ice cream pasta, or something like that. Yum yum.

Caterina99 · 26/01/2024 10:57

Like actual dry weetabix with poached eggs sitting on top? That is pretty weird!

NoMoreFalafelsForYou · 26/01/2024 10:58

Eggs on Weetabix 😂
Although tbf you sound just as bonkers warming your Weetabix milk up in the microwave 🤣

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.