Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Ungrateful breakfast

306 replies

Jckf · 26/01/2024 10:40

Name changed as I’ve mentioned it to a couple of people. I don’t know DPs Mum massively yet as we haven’t been together long, she’s come up to our city to visit and is staying at my house along with DP as I have a spare room.

Last night before bed she asked me if I wanted a hot breakfast making before work, I told her no thanks I will just have my usual weetabix. Woke up this morning to her at my door with breakfast… a weetabix with two poached eggs on top (no milk). I couldn’t bring myself to eat it because it looked disgusting. DP said don’t worry I will tell her you don’t like eggs on a morning and you can have your normal breakfast and took it downstairs. 5 minutes later she reappeared, two weetabix with crème fraiche and raisins. Again, vile. I just wanted weetabix with some milk in the microwave.

I don’t know her well enough to ask her to not fuck about with my breakfast and I want her to feel comfortable in my house, but I’m at work now and starving because I ended up leaving without eating. I do want DP to comment to her that I had said last night I didn’t want her making me breakfast. He just thinks it’s funny and started telling me the crap combinations they suffered as kids.

AIBU in wanting DP to nip this in the bud now or should I laugh along?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

2056 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
32%
You are NOT being unreasonable
68%
raspberryjuiceandpompoms · 26/01/2024 13:22

I think it’s quite funny really. Is your DP’s mum a foreigner? She might not know what to do with weetabix lol

it’s a silly situation but if it put you out so much that you had post about it on mumsnet, I’d assume that you’re not really fond of your DP’s mom otherwise you would have laughed it off.

afkonholidaynearleek · 26/01/2024 13:23

I'd simply say, "Thank you so much for thinking of me and going to the trouble to do this. I'm very particular about how I like my breakfast though, so I'm very sorry but I can't eat that. Please don't worry about sorting something else out. I find it uncomfortable eating breakfast in bed anyway so I will come down and get my own shortly. Feel free to help yourself to it!"
I'd say this, too. No more Weetabix and eggs! Or creme fraiche. Or anything like that, actually.

Beautiful3 · 26/01/2024 13:23

Ew 🤮 I'd say, "please don't make me breakfast because I like to make it a certain way, also its wasting ingredients. But thank you for thinking of me in the mornings."

Jewelanemone · 26/01/2024 13:25

Has anyone mentioned how fabulous Weetabix with butter and Marmite is? The butter MUST be thick enough to show teeth marks, though.

ShinyAppleDreamingOfTheSea · 26/01/2024 13:26

LondonLass91 · 26/01/2024 12:37

Just say thank you, smile and eat some of it. It is what I tell my children to do if they are at someone's house and the don't like the food. It's your 'partner's' mum, so of course you should be polite and respectful.

But it was at the OP's house. And she had already told the woman that she didn't want her to do any breakfast for her .

Taking over in someone else's house when you don't know them well is quite rude and disrespectful. It's very different from offering to help or even if the partner's mum had just made her own weird breakfast.

Nazzywish · 26/01/2024 13:26

That's so crazy but funny. Just tell her how u like your weetabix this evening and she can do that for you. She's probably trying to be ' extra' as she's in your house and your putting her up etc.

ShinyAppleDreamingOfTheSea · 26/01/2024 13:29

Jewelanemone · 26/01/2024 13:25

Has anyone mentioned how fabulous Weetabix with butter and Marmite is? The butter MUST be thick enough to show teeth marks, though.

Now that actually doesn't sound so odd as I used to have weetabix with butter and honey as a child .

Nowadays I'm definitely a cold milk and chopped banana person .

5128gap · 26/01/2024 13:31

I'm not sure how serious you are? Because to me this is just an example of dealing with a person's well-meaning eccentricities, that while slightly annoying, is harmless and not worth creating a fuss about. If it were me I'd just tell her I'd rather get my own breakfast and (given she clearly want to do something for you) add "but it would be lovely if you could peal some veg for dinner/load the dishwasher/pop out for some creme fraiche.."

Brefugee · 26/01/2024 13:31

femfemlicious · 26/01/2024 11:14

Where I'm from, we value, respect and give allowance to our elders. This us a partners mother, not a lady off the street. No one is perfect and we all have our foibles. This is harmless and makes her happy to cook for people.

she should have respected the OPs answer to her question in the first place. someone who ignores me in my own home would have been treated a lot less politely than OP did.

ShinyAppleDreamingOfTheSea · 26/01/2024 13:32

Oh wow - so perhaps it was a case that the DP's mum doesn't eat weetabix and just googled what to do with it ? Hmm

StrongasSixpence · 26/01/2024 13:35

I'd be really annoyed as I really dislike food waste. Also I expect to be listened to when I say express my wishes on things like this, especially in mu own home.

I'd have to have a firm word this evening.

theDudesmummy · 26/01/2024 13:35

All the people dissing Weetabix with hot milk done in the microwave WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

diddl · 26/01/2024 13:36

I'm not sure it being a recipe suggestion by weetabix makes it a thing!

diddl · 26/01/2024 13:37

theDudesmummy · 26/01/2024 13:35

All the people dissing Weetabix with hot milk done in the microwave WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

I haven't had it since I was a kid but I know what tomorrow's breakfast will be now!

MagicTape · 26/01/2024 13:38

HelloTreacle9 · 26/01/2024 12:12

Fun post. These are actually two recipes on Weetabix's website, a continuation of an award-winning campaign their PR agency started a couple of years ago that kicked off with the "Weetabix and Heinz beans" abomination. There's also a recipe for Mac and Cheese with Weetabix, so maybe you'll get that for tea.

I have fallen down a weetabix recipe internet hole now. I had no idea this horror existed. Microwave a tinned carrot for three minutes to start it off - so much nope.

https://weetabix.co.uk/any-which-way-a-bix-recipes/macn-cheese-a-bix/

Mac’n-Cheese-a-bix - Weetabix Cereals

https://weetabix.co.uk/any-which-way-a-bix-recipes/macn-cheese-a-bix

Brefugee · 26/01/2024 13:38

LondonLass91 · 26/01/2024 12:37

Just say thank you, smile and eat some of it. It is what I tell my children to do if they are at someone's house and the don't like the food. It's your 'partner's' mum, so of course you should be polite and respectful.

fuck no.

It is in the OP

Last night before bed she asked me if I wanted a hot breakfast making before work, I told her no thanks I will just have my usual weetabix

OP had said "no". She may be the lovliest batty old lady any of you can think of. But i would be hugely annoyed that she had wasted 4 freakin' Weetabix. The most polite way i can think that i would have reacted to the eggs would have been to give it back and just do that hand-flappy thing to indicate i can't speak right now.

ScierraDoll · 26/01/2024 13:42

Keep her out of the kitchen, she sounds like Mrs Cropley (was that her name? The woman in Vicar of Dibley who cooked strange things)

TheOccupier · 26/01/2024 13:45

This would really piss me off - I hate food being wasted. Take the weetabix to bed with you tonight!

I do think it's weird you are hosting DP's mum when you haven't been together long. Would he do the same for you?

LookItsMeAgain · 26/01/2024 13:45

I don't know if it's been asked @Jckf, but did she serve you fresh Weetabix blocks with the creme fraiche or the ones that previously had the eggs on them?

Either way, it's grim if you didn't want it.

Definitely tell her that she is not to make you breakfast as you don't want to waste food and you are quite happy to make your own breakfast.

SkaneTos · 26/01/2024 13:48

@Jckf , you wrote "I don’t know DPs Mum massively yet as we haven’t been together long, she’s come up to our city to visit and is staying at my house along with DP as I have a spare room."

So you and DP don't live together? He has his own place?
But right now both DP and his mother are staying with you?

ICanTuckMyBoobsInMyPockets · 26/01/2024 13:49

When I was about 19 I occasionally used to stay at a boyfriend's house on a Sunday night and get a lift to work.
His mother used to come into our room while I was getting ready for work and sit with me while I ate breakfast.

It was horrendous. Fuck off woman, I just want some peace to get dressed at 6.30am.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ManchesterGirl2 · 26/01/2024 13:51

Not sure why DH needs to talk to her, I'd just talk to her myself. "Thanks for the thought but really I prefer to make my own breakfast, I like it done a specific way at a specific time." Repeat with increasing bluntness until she gets the message.

TommyNever · 26/01/2024 13:58

Count your blessings, it could have been a bowl of Rice Krispies with a dodgy lobster on top.

LiquoriceAllsorts2 · 26/01/2024 14:02

its nice that she offers to make you breakfast but she needs to take no for an answer, it seems like she struggles with this and likes to be in control.

but eggs on weetabix is insane and clearly just ruins two decent breakfasts by combining so is super wasteful.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.