Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Ungrateful breakfast

306 replies

Jckf · 26/01/2024 10:40

Name changed as I’ve mentioned it to a couple of people. I don’t know DPs Mum massively yet as we haven’t been together long, she’s come up to our city to visit and is staying at my house along with DP as I have a spare room.

Last night before bed she asked me if I wanted a hot breakfast making before work, I told her no thanks I will just have my usual weetabix. Woke up this morning to her at my door with breakfast… a weetabix with two poached eggs on top (no milk). I couldn’t bring myself to eat it because it looked disgusting. DP said don’t worry I will tell her you don’t like eggs on a morning and you can have your normal breakfast and took it downstairs. 5 minutes later she reappeared, two weetabix with crème fraiche and raisins. Again, vile. I just wanted weetabix with some milk in the microwave.

I don’t know her well enough to ask her to not fuck about with my breakfast and I want her to feel comfortable in my house, but I’m at work now and starving because I ended up leaving without eating. I do want DP to comment to her that I had said last night I didn’t want her making me breakfast. He just thinks it’s funny and started telling me the crap combinations they suffered as kids.

AIBU in wanting DP to nip this in the bud now or should I laugh along?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

2056 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
32%
You are NOT being unreasonable
68%
Characterbuilding · 26/01/2024 11:53

I kind of want to try it now 😂

WaltzingWaters · 26/01/2024 11:54

Hahaha she sounds bonkers. But in a nice way. It’s lovely that she wants to help. But seriously? Is she from another country and doesn’t really know what weetabix is?? Those combinations sound nuts 🤢

”thank you very much for making my breakfast, but I really don’t like weetabix with eggs or creme fraiche you weirdo do like to make my breakfast a specific way so I’ll make it myself, but appreciate the thought”.

I would suggest she make dinner instead, but I dread to think what combinations she could come up with!

ttcat37 · 26/01/2024 11:55

Jckf · 26/01/2024 10:55

I suppose I would rather it in my house than hers, at least I knew where I could dispose of the second attempt discreetly in my house. In hers I might’ve had to eat it.

Don’t hide it! Leave it clearly on display so she can see that you don’t want it.

NeverAloneNeverAgain · 26/01/2024 11:55

Somepeoplearesnippy · 26/01/2024 11:47

Who would have thought there'd be 2 of you utter nutters?

3 of us, but I'll up the anti a bit! I have fake weetabix (coeliac friendly) with boiling water and brown sugar. Yum!

TippiHedrin · 26/01/2024 11:57

What other combinations did she used to serve your DH as a kid? Were they all weetabix related? What does she have for breakfast herself? So many questions.

RampantIvy · 26/01/2024 11:59

I prefer my morning cereal to have a bit of bite to it. I'm more of a granola or crspy nut cornflakes or Special K kind of person than the soggy mush weetabix turns into with a bit of moisture added.

User1789 · 26/01/2024 12:00

OP, another point before you get sucked into the 'endearingly bonkers' v 'mad bitch trying to catch you out' worm hole.

Look up weaponised incompetance. It is a pattern of behaviour though, generally not a one off...

SweetBirdsong · 26/01/2024 12:00

2 poached eggs on top of weetabix?! What fresh hell is this?! Confused How revolting.

Also, weetabix with hot milk. boak!

I don't think anyone needs to thank anyone for doing something that they never asked them to do! YANBU.

LongDarkTeatime · 26/01/2024 12:00

@Jckf I’ve missed the bit where you describe why you think she’s doing this?

Sounds like you’re at the very beginning of your relationship with her.
Do you think she might be trying very very hard to do things she thinks you would like, to try and make a bond.

Rather than seeing her as ‘bonkers’ could you try and make some time tonight to sit down together and get to know each other? That way you’d be able to workout where this is coming from and find an appropriate way forward.

shockthemonkey · 26/01/2024 12:05

Thank you so much for the laugh.

Priceless.

"Please don't fuck about with my breakfast" LOL those combos are terrible

Seaweed42 · 26/01/2024 12:07

You'll have to get DP to do more than comment on it.

Tell her 'MIL I'll do my own breakfast tomorrow because I don't like anyone else doing it for me. And I'll come downstairs for it'.

She sounds like someone who just pushes her agenda all the time, is self absorbed and thinks everyone shares her view.

I also think she'd be the sort who would be very offended at a knockback because she's not in touch with the reality of situations.

The other thing is, she's taking over your house and deciding when to cook and what to cook.
That's very controlling.

WiddlinDiddlin · 26/01/2024 12:10

Dry weetabix... and poached eggs?

Yup, thats vile, no, wouldn't, couldn't eat it if you paid me.

Weetabix with cold milk - fine.

Weetabix with hot milk - also fine, I know loads of people who like this, me included so I don't know why some are pretending it's every bit as out there as the poached egg thing!

Just tell her 'please leave me to make my own breakfast in future, I really don't like food waste!'

DidntReallyMeanIt · 26/01/2024 12:11

I voted YABU because you don't have to know anyone well to simply say, "I only like my Weetabix like this. I don't like it any other way".

It's perfectly polite, normal human interaction.

HelloTreacle9 · 26/01/2024 12:12

Fun post. These are actually two recipes on Weetabix's website, a continuation of an award-winning campaign their PR agency started a couple of years ago that kicked off with the "Weetabix and Heinz beans" abomination. There's also a recipe for Mac and Cheese with Weetabix, so maybe you'll get that for tea.

FinallyHere · 26/01/2024 12:13

AdoraBell · 26/01/2024 11:17

Tell her that you don’t eat upstairs/in bed and that you will do you own breakfast when you feel hungry.

It does seem like she wants to help, but also over stepping. Nip this in the bud or it will become a big problem. Better to bite the bullet now than become resentful.

this ^

RampantIvy · 26/01/2024 12:16

That's very controlling.

Another overused expression on mumsnet.

That isn't controlling. It's just bonkers.

FinallyHere · 26/01/2024 12:16

Revelwithacause · 26/01/2024 11:26

You have to do it there and then. ‘Oh thanks but I’m really just after weetabix and milk, you have that.’ Then go and make it in front of her.

and this ^ this is even better

Jencs1983 · 26/01/2024 12:18

Eggs on Weetabix? That's definitely a combo I never want to try.

I've seen people put creme fraiche and yoghurt on top of Weetabix, but in my opinion, you need milk on Weetabix because it's so dry!

I think her heart was in the right place, but at the end of the day, you told her that you'd sort your own breakfast out. She should have respected that.

Hopefully further down the line, you can all laugh about it together 😁

You are not BU!

betterangels · 26/01/2024 12:22

hoarahloux · 26/01/2024 10:46

"Vile" 🙄

It is, though.

Magnoliasunrise · 26/01/2024 12:22

Put milk in the empty creme fraiche tub and hide the eggs for tomorrow. Job done.

Itslegitimatesalvage · 26/01/2024 12:22

It’s your house. Why didn’t you just go
down and make your breakfast the way you normally do. And tell her that’s how you have it but you don’t like eating in your bedroom before you’re ready so you’ll get it yourself from now on.

shockthemonkey · 26/01/2024 12:24

To whomever called it "passive aggressive", it really isn't. If it is aggressive at all, it's quite a long way from passive aggressive.

If you must read it as aggressive, then it is active aggressive since you are showing hostility through an unwanted action.

Passive aggression is avoiding doing something that you've been asked to do, or doing it slowly, as a way of expressing your hostility towards a person. Hence the qualifier "passive".

Either way, I don't think it's aggressive at all. It's just plain bonkers.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LakieLady · 26/01/2024 12:24

If she's still there tomorrow, make her a nice breakfast. Something like muesli with a couple of rashers and some beans.

When she finds it weird and/or inedible, explain that you thought she liked her cereal and cooked breakfast stuff all at once, as demonstrated by the equally weird/inedible weetabix and egg combo.

MammaTo · 26/01/2024 12:25

I think you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. It sounds bonkers to put eggs on weetabix but she’s tried to do something nice at the end of the day. Just laugh along and say oh I like plain weetabix.

arejcenencehche3uh9f3 · 26/01/2024 12:32

I think the "thanks but...you have it" comment is genius. If she says she doesn't want it you say "exactly, neither do I". If she eats it - even better (and no waste).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.