My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not want this woman on my street "helping" with my bins every week?

227 replies

LittleBoPeepHasLostHerShit · 29/09/2022 13:38

A woman on my street (about 5 doors away - don't know her name, she doesn't even say hello if she sees me) rushes out to put all the neighbours' bins back after the binmen have been. (Not sure how many other houses she does but it's not just mine.) I don't like it because she goes into my drive to do it and she can see into my house through the window. It just feels unnecessary and intrusive. I'm guessing she wants to be helpful and clear the pavement for others and thinks we are all to slow putting them back. Would it be ungracious to pop out and tell her thanks but there's no need?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1076 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
75%
You are NOT being unreasonable
25%
Johnnysgirl · 29/09/2022 13:39

LittleBoPeepHasLostHerShit · 29/09/2022 13:38

A woman on my street (about 5 doors away - don't know her name, she doesn't even say hello if she sees me) rushes out to put all the neighbours' bins back after the binmen have been. (Not sure how many other houses she does but it's not just mine.) I don't like it because she goes into my drive to do it and she can see into my house through the window. It just feels unnecessary and intrusive. I'm guessing she wants to be helpful and clear the pavement for others and thinks we are all to slow putting them back. Would it be ungracious to pop out and tell her thanks but there's no need?

Just put your own bins in!

youagainomg · 29/09/2022 13:40

Yes I think it would be. She is on your drive for seconds by putting a bin away. Just say thank you and leave her to it. Or try and beat her to it. Lots of other things to worry about other than a helpful neighbour putting your bin back.

PostladyPatty · 29/09/2022 13:41

I'd be very grateful if someone did that for me

SpinningFloppa · 29/09/2022 13:44

She sounds nice, I forgot to put my bins out once so the bin men didn’t take them, wouldn’t have minded her on my street on that day! I was stuck with them for an extra week.

LynneBenfield · 29/09/2022 13:46

She sounds helpful tbh but YANBU to want to put your own bin away

OnTheBrinkOfChange · 29/09/2022 13:47

Oh this might be me!

ilovesooty · 29/09/2022 13:47

My next door neighbour and I put out and take in for each other, depending on who's available. I doubt if she stares into your window.

LittleBoPeepHasLostHerShit · 29/09/2022 13:48

I forgot to put my bins out once so the bin men didn’t take them, wouldn’t have minded her on my street on that day!

She doesn't put them out, she puts them back after they have been emptied.

OP posts:
cushioncovers · 29/09/2022 13:49

Johnnysgirl thats the point op can't get her own bin in because the neighbour rushes out as soon as the bin men have been and puts op's bin away.

AdobeWanKenobi · 29/09/2022 13:49

I don't like it because she goes into my drive to do it and she can see into my house through the window.

What does the postman do? Couriers? etc Surely they can see in too? What are you doing in there? Sacrificing goats?
YABU.

Ihaveamagicwand · 29/09/2022 13:50

You could always pull your curtains or leave your blinds shut.

readsalotgirl63 · 29/09/2022 13:50

Having had a neighbour who acted in a similar apparently friendly/neighbourly way and then proceeded to try to annex a portion of our garden I disagree with previous posters.

Her actions may be kindly meant but she is doing something which makes you uncomfortable and is not necessary so it is entirely reasonable for you to say politely but firmly that you would prefer her not to move your bin. I learned the hard way that it is much easier to stop something at the beginning than to let it develop through fear of appearing to be unreasonable.

ImAvingOops · 29/09/2022 13:50

This is not really a problem. She's presumably not lingering outside your window watching you eat your coco pops.

WallaceinAnderland · 29/09/2022 13:51

I would love this.

AlwaysChangingNames123 · 29/09/2022 13:51

It wouldn't bother me, somtimes my neighbour brings my bins in if I'm out as all the bins are at the end of the street and if your not quick someone from the next row fills your freshly emptied bin with their rubbish

LittleBoPeepHasLostHerShit · 29/09/2022 13:51

What does the postman do? Couriers? etc Surely they can see in too? What are you doing in there? Sacrificing goats?
YABU.

No they can't. No I'm not. But maybe walking around in my underwear sometimes.

OP posts:
cushioncovers · 29/09/2022 13:51

AdobeWanKenobi · 29/09/2022 13:49

I don't like it because she goes into my drive to do it and she can see into my house through the window.

YABU.

But usually you have ordered something that's why a courier/postman may be on your property.

ilovesooty · 29/09/2022 13:52

Put a sticker on it saying "Leave my bin where it is and don't step on my drive" 🙄

readsalotgirl63 · 29/09/2022 13:52

It really doesnt matter what her motivation is or whether or not she is looking into your house - it makes you uncomfortable and you don't want her to do it and that is sufficient reason to ask her to stop.

girlmom21 · 29/09/2022 13:52

I don't think it's a bad thing as she's making the road more accessible for everyone and saving you a job. Is she staring into your window?

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 29/09/2022 13:53

“Thanks but there’s no need” seems fine to me!

Needmorelego · 29/09/2022 13:53

If the postman can't see in how can your neighbour see in?

WhenDovesFly · 29/09/2022 13:53

How come a postperson/courier, who comes right up to your door can't see in, yet the neighbour moving a bin can? Does she have super-human sight or something.

I think you're overthinking this OP. If it bothers you that much then yes, have a quiet word and ask her not to move your bins.

norespectformyself · 29/09/2022 13:55

i always do this for my neighbour as they are elderly never considered it would be classified as a CRIME!!!
plus all those bins cluttering up the pavement it's not easy fir people walking with buggy's etc!

readsalotgirl63 · 29/09/2022 13:55

We did in a round about way ask our neighbour to not trim our grass and he ignored this and then proceeded to annex a portion of our garden. I would always now advise clearly stating that you do not want Mrs X to move bins/cut grass/whatever and to stop doing so. Not wanting them to do whatever it is is enough reason.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.