Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Any Conservatives out there?

194 replies

GyozaGuiting · 28/09/2022 07:53

I’m a Conservative party member, (don’t hate me). I am appalled by the party right now.

Conservative politics is about protecting and growing the economy by stimulating growth with open markets, less state intervention, creating conditions for businesses to thrive/self employment etc. It’s about measured competence and at its core is the premise that hard work pays off.

This Conservative party isn’t about any of this, it’s about elitism, which they don’t even try and hide anymore, the top 1-5%. It’s not hard work, it’s who you know.

I run a business and would have been eligible for one of those huge covid contracts, I didn’t even get to apply, but it went to one of their friends. I wrote to my MP and I just got sent a web link (none of the contracts were on there).

I can’t imagine voting labour (for reasons too numerous to mention), but I feel I couldn’t bring myself to vote for my MP right now.

Any other conservatives feel this way? What can we do?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

163 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
28%
You are NOT being unreasonable
72%
Meltingsocks · 28/09/2022 07:55

Vote Labour.

GottaGetOutofDairy · 28/09/2022 07:56

I'm not but I know a large number of Conservative members feel like their party has been stolen from them.

The only thing you can do is give your vote to someone else and tell them why. If only as a temporary measure to break the stranglehold of power the current crop have been building for themselves over the last few years.

Joystir59 · 28/09/2022 07:56

Vote Labour

Meltingsocks · 28/09/2022 07:57

And I'm sorry but you voted for them, so you are responsible for this mess.

Vote Labour. Your party cannot be saved right now.

Itsacafe · 28/09/2022 07:57

Vote Lib Dem

PuntasticUsername · 28/09/2022 07:58

Vote Labour

PixiesFeet · 28/09/2022 07:58

I am appalled by them too. This is my mums local Conservative MP a judge has said he lied in court they are disgusting but it doesn't suprise me...

www.google.com/amp/s/www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/mp-andrew-bridgen-evicted-15m-7547786.amp

GyozaGuiting · 28/09/2022 07:59

My local labour MP is awful, I also don’t agree with their position on several issues, fundamental issues. I just miss proper conservative politics, I think Rishi would have done a better job, why we’ve put incompetent Liz in charge I’ve no idea.
William Hague would have been better! Or someone like Johnny Mercer… but Liz Truss? I despair.

OP posts:
Martinisarebetterdirty · 28/09/2022 08:00

I’m with you, my Tory party has been about encouraging people to do better whilst supporting those in need, about deregulation and cutting waste. I’m absolutely in shock. I can’t vote labour because they don’t know what a woman is and to be honest if they are saying they would use the reinstatement of the top rate of tax to pay for breakfast clubs it shows they have no grip on economics either. For those who question this, they would reinstate an already utilised tax but not use it to cover debt or existing spend where it is needed, but add something else to spend it on. I am NOT saying that breakfast clubs are not a good idea because they are. Oh and our labour MP has just had her whip suspended for racism and doesn’t respond when I ask her questions.
I think all we can do is watch and see if this settles down, but it feels like a gamble.

somewhereovertherain · 28/09/2022 08:00

How any business owner could vote for this shower of shit I’ll never know.(and yes I own two businesses)

from Brexit forward it’s all been about party and never about what’s best for the country.

GottaGetOutofDairy · 28/09/2022 08:01

As an aside, this is where divisive politics gets us: there have been massive red flags all along the journey to this point (not least in who has been fired, who has been hired and in what posts - in far reaching roles well outside the cabinet) but the culture wars means that people automatically disbelieve 'the other side'.

Once they identifiy with a camp, it's almost impossible for them to believe criticism that's seen to come from outside. Hence the tags such as 'loonie lefties' or 'remoaners' or whatever it is. It's a culture war tactic to undermine critics so that real debate and scrutiny is avoided.

somewhereovertherain · 28/09/2022 08:03

Should add voted Tory till 2016 never again but also live in a safe libdem seat.

politics is broken we need a totally different system that isn’t based on a two party system.

also hope we now get an United Ireland and an Independent Scotland.

how many times can we be fucked by the Tory’s and keep accepting it?

ThermoSpooklear · 28/09/2022 08:03

the premise that hard work pays off.

And people accuse 'the left' of believing fairytales...

Leave the party, tell them why, and vote Labour if they're the next biggest party in your area. If you want to. Or dont, if you don't want to. You don't have to agree with every policy. What are your local non-Conservative possible candidates like? Get to know their policies and aims. Or stand yourself as an indie?

GyozaGuiting · 28/09/2022 08:04

@somewhereovertherain in terms of running the business I’ve been helped a lot my Conservative policies; SEIS and EIS, DiT shows and missions as well as export projects and retail intros, we used the covid rates relief scheme and the government back to work scheme. I can’t fault them on these.

It’s specifically how it’s gone recently and the covid contracts that pissed me off!

OP posts:
Lonelycrab · 28/09/2022 08:05

This Conservative party isn’t about any of this

Thats because it’s really UKIP and has been for a number of years. Isolationist, little englanders.

MrsBennetsPoorNerves · 28/09/2022 08:06

Well, the current lot are a bit less shameless about showing it, but I can't see the current government as being particularly out of line with Tory values. They have always existed to help the elite, nothing is new about that. They have just dropped the rhetoric about pretending to care for the rest.

I do understand why traditional Tories might be anxious about the current level of borrowing and mismanagement of the economy, though.

GyozaGuiting · 28/09/2022 08:07

@ThermoSpooklear I did consider trying to be more active in the party to have an influence and working my way up to stand… but it’s really who you know still and playing a careful career game (that’s in all parties)

I wish I could be a famous stand up and just go straight for it (looking at Eddie izzard! No beef, but the normal route not require).

OP posts:
RoomOfRequirement · 28/09/2022 08:08

Why do you assume hard work pays off? That's one of the biggest problems I have with Tory voters; you assume the more you get paid the harder you work and it is simply not true.

Some of the hardest working professions - and most necessary - pay very little. Combined with the fact poor people from working class backgrounds have infinitely more barriers to that 'success' than those from richer backgrounds.

You voted for this. This is what YOUR party stands for, and everyone with a brain has seen this coming for years.

LifeOnATrain · 28/09/2022 08:08

the biggest problem is the lack of opposition. Good opposition holds the party in power to account. We just don't have any good political leadership anywhere. There's a giant political vacuum at the moment.

Namechanger355 · 28/09/2022 08:08

no judgement from me but Can I ask a question here- I’m def NoT a Tory supporter?

the tories purport to be about free markets and reducing state intervention - so isn’t that exactly what they have done under this concept of trickle down economics. Ie reduced the additional rate to free up cash for investment and very much reduce state intervention/state benefits that cash would have gone to

now Trickle down economics is a total fallacy - it doesn’t work. Additional rate taxpayers will probably just invest that cash in their pension rather than spend it

But truss hasn’t said this policy is elitism

and… it sounds like truss and co Had no idea that the markets would react in this way

so to Op - what is it about this policy that you specifically dislike? Do you think it’s actually elitism disguised as trickle down economics. Do you expect them to have foreseen the market reaction? Because to me what they have done is actually what the tories are meant to do - it’s just in this situation they have ballsed up because they don’t understand the wider economic factors causing inflation

MarshaBradyo · 28/09/2022 08:10

Sunak didn’t win due to a few issues - these are some I can remember

too wealthy
spending too high
not loyal to Boris
too aggressive at debates

Some are manipulated by media unfortunately (wealth one) others were problems and Johnson one well if we push an 80 seat majority leader out not everyone will be happy

I didn’t vote but thought Sunak a less risky choice although annoyed at his spending previously

Martinisarebetterdirty · 28/09/2022 08:10

LifeOnATrain · 28/09/2022 08:08

the biggest problem is the lack of opposition. Good opposition holds the party in power to account. We just don't have any good political leadership anywhere. There's a giant political vacuum at the moment.

Absolutely this! A strong opposition holds people to account.

Namechanger355 · 28/09/2022 08:11

And by the way- yes hard work pays off if you are in the right sector

if you are in the public sector (which we need to run the country)!! or any number of other jobs it doesn’t - so to me that statement alone reeks of elitism rather than a party that pushes entrepreneurial flair

so total lack of state intervention and letting the markets do its thing is absolute nonsense. It should be one nation economics- let’s grow the economy together but always always protect the vulnerable

countrygirl99 · 28/09/2022 08:11

Martinisarebetterdirty · 28/09/2022 08:00

I’m with you, my Tory party has been about encouraging people to do better whilst supporting those in need, about deregulation and cutting waste. I’m absolutely in shock. I can’t vote labour because they don’t know what a woman is and to be honest if they are saying they would use the reinstatement of the top rate of tax to pay for breakfast clubs it shows they have no grip on economics either. For those who question this, they would reinstate an already utilised tax but not use it to cover debt or existing spend where it is needed, but add something else to spend it on. I am NOT saying that breakfast clubs are not a good idea because they are. Oh and our labour MP has just had her whip suspended for racism and doesn’t respond when I ask her questions.
I think all we can do is watch and see if this settles down, but it feels like a gamble.

Conservative policies have led to a man who rapes children and teenagers being sent to a women's prison either a young offender unit and mother and baby unit. I don't think the Tories have any high ground on women's issues.

KassandraOfSparta · 28/09/2022 08:13

As a floating voter who has voted for all the parties at some point, I really can't understand why they went for Truss. From speaking to someone who is a conservative member and who did vote in the leadership, it was all down to the fact that Rishi was a "snake" and stabbed Boris in the back.

I am not a Starmer fan really, he's better than Corbyn but that's not saying much is it. I really don't have ANY faith in Truss though and the experts in the markets - who generally know a lot more than I do - clearly have no faith either.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.