Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Any Conservatives out there?

194 replies

GyozaGuiting · 28/09/2022 07:53

I’m a Conservative party member, (don’t hate me). I am appalled by the party right now.

Conservative politics is about protecting and growing the economy by stimulating growth with open markets, less state intervention, creating conditions for businesses to thrive/self employment etc. It’s about measured competence and at its core is the premise that hard work pays off.

This Conservative party isn’t about any of this, it’s about elitism, which they don’t even try and hide anymore, the top 1-5%. It’s not hard work, it’s who you know.

I run a business and would have been eligible for one of those huge covid contracts, I didn’t even get to apply, but it went to one of their friends. I wrote to my MP and I just got sent a web link (none of the contracts were on there).

I can’t imagine voting labour (for reasons too numerous to mention), but I feel I couldn’t bring myself to vote for my MP right now.

Any other conservatives feel this way? What can we do?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

163 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
28%
You are NOT being unreasonable
72%
donquixotedelamancha · 28/09/2022 08:42

OP the IMF has never before warned of a developed economy risking failure the way it criticised the mini-Budget.

I don't think there has ever been a run on sterling directly after a fiscal statement before.

When was the last time any government borrowed tens of billions to fund tax cuts for the rich? Pre war? Never?

I'm not a fan of current labour but we are past that.

Novum · 28/09/2022 08:43

This is only going to stop if the voters show them how disastrous it is. Unless you are in a constituency where the Lib Dems, Greens or others have a decent chance of winning, you need to vote Labour.

Pilipalapal · 28/09/2022 08:45

LifeOnATrain · 28/09/2022 08:08

the biggest problem is the lack of opposition. Good opposition holds the party in power to account. We just don't have any good political leadership anywhere. There's a giant political vacuum at the moment.

Really? You genuinely think that the government being incompetent is less of a problem than the opposition critiquing the government in the way you’d like?

Chucklecheeks01 · 28/09/2022 08:47

Really what you're really saying is now it's negatively effecting you specifically you can see how toxic their policies are.

ilovesooty · 28/09/2022 08:48

Hoppinggreen · 28/09/2022 08:22

I was a Young Conservative at Uni and always voted Tory from as soon as I could vote. In the last election I voted Liberal and will probably vote Labour at the next one.
We actually do ok under The Tories, the latest cuts benefit us but I now loathe them and can’t see myself ever voting for them again.
Voting Labour is something I never believed I would do and I hated Corbyn and his Momentum woke Bro lot but there is no way I could vote for the Conservatives now.
I am also very GC and I know a lot of women say this is why they can’t vote Labour but when families are losing their homes and in danger of starving I have to put that ahead of the “Labour don’t know what a woman is” argument.
I have a Business and work with Business people so I always believed that Labour was bad for business and maybe they still are but The Conservatives are simply bad for the whole country

That's really honest.

SilverGlitterBaubles · 28/09/2022 08:48

People seriously need to get their heads out of their tribal party politics arse. This is no time for party loyalty based on some traditional notion of what the Tory party stands for or because your local Tory MP is a nice person. The country is on the rocks being led by a seriously dangerous incompetent bunch of fantasists. They need to go or we are all doomed.

Sweetpeasaremadeforbees · 28/09/2022 08:48

Liz has tanked the economy, she promised a fairy tale and a magic money tree and got in. Rishi spoke economic sense didn’t make stupid policies and lost. If the other parties didn’t think that men are women, I’d have an option. Politics are insane at the moment

I think this probably sums up my views currently. I do not understand WTF Tory members voted for Liz Truss, they must surely know that the minute they did it they would lose swathes of the previous Labour supporters that they gained at the last election? I sometimes wonder if Liz Truss is secretly still a Lib Dem supporter and this is part of her plan to make the Tories lose the next election or she's just thick as pig shit

Iamanunsafebuilding · 28/09/2022 08:49

SilverGlitterBaubles · 28/09/2022 08:33

@Iamanunsafebuilding

Give me boring personality vacuum any day if it means stable, serious, capable. If I want entertainment I'll watch Netflix.

. *

Oh I agree with you! I actually also believe the colour of the government should change periodically, when 1 party is in power for too long they seem to forget what they started out to do

ILoveDrivingRandom · 28/09/2022 08:50

Any conservatives out there?

No. They are all hiding in their own homes, nuclear bunkers if they are getting uneasy about Russia, or private yachts if they are satisfied with the money they've made recently by ripping off the poor, and they fancy a holiday. Hard work? Yeah right.

There won't be many conservatives around today, except the odd ethical one like you OP.

SleeplessInEngland · 28/09/2022 08:52

The upcoming tory conference might be interesting for once. They surely can't do the usual Dear Leader routine but they won't want to appear chaotic either. Politd, muted clapping I guess?

ARoyalSubject · 28/09/2022 08:53

Don't think about what YOU personally want. Forget Labour, forget Conservative, forget labels or past alliances.

Consider instead what does the country need? Does it need more of the same, or something different?

Whatever your political leanings, it's very clear to anyone who values honestly, integrity, empathy and compassion (most decent British people, I would argue), that the Tories need some "time out" on the naughty step right now.

Therefore only sensible thing to do is vote for whoever is most likely to beat the Conservatives in your constituency.

If Labour get in, as a Tory, you might not be happy. But how will you feel if this government are returned to power?

As you say, the government we have at the moment isn't Conservatism as you recognise it. It's awful; it's incompetence, corruption, cruelty, trashing things for ordinary Brits in pursuit of extremist ideology, lying for their own gain anything goes in the pursuit of Tory power. I'm glad you've had the courage to admit that.

Namenic · 28/09/2022 08:53

This is the politics we have in U.K. even if you don’t like the other parties, you have to play the game (first past the post) - and decide who is the least worst in your area. I think u just have to vote tactically.

alotoftutus · 28/09/2022 08:55

Honestly you can take stand.
It doesn't have to be forever, but right now you could leave the party and stop funding them, and vote for the opposition. Send a message. Let it be known that they have gone too far.
For a lot of people at the moment it's not a case of needing to love Labour, but who do you think is the better of two evils? Perhaps think about it that way.

Whilst people continue to vote conservative they will continue to think the country want to be screwed over. You get what you vote for at the end of the day.

Also perhaps get rid of the idea that hard work pays off because that's only dependent on the sector you work in!

Public sector workers work HARD really hard. If hard work paid off we wouldn't have nurses and teachers using food banks. Do conservatives really think these professions don't work hard enough and that's why they are struggling- genuine question? How about the military? The young soldiers with families that we were all praising at the Queens funeral are struggling and using food banks too. Perhaps they just need to work harder - or get second jobs whilst on call 24 hours a day and called away to war zones with no notice at all!!

I think this ideology is probably the Tory's most dangerous. On the surface it makes sense, but when you really look at who is using food banks and who's children are not getting breakfast you realise that hard work certainly does not mean you will be rich - or even comfortable.

Perhaps get rid of parliaments cheap lunches and use that money to pay for labours breakfast scheme for kids. I'm pretty sure MPs can pay full price for their lunch - or afford to pack themselves one and bring it to work!!!

You don't have to love Labour but they are the only chance we have of getting the conservatives away from power. The longer they stay in the worse it's going to get - they are not even trying to hide it anymore - which I guess should be praised!

Carla2601 · 28/09/2022 08:57

@GyozaGuiting im genuinely interested in how you think Kier Starmer, a successful human rights lawyer, could do a worse job than this?

plenty of labour voters leant their votes to the tories and it’s now time (hopefully she does the only thing anyone with any ounce of self respect would do now and call a GE) for Tory voters to do the same. This cannot go on. It’s despicable.

HangerLaneGyratorySystem · 28/09/2022 08:57

Poor you OP. It’s not you is it, it’s them, those others … 🤔

Arnaquer · 28/09/2022 08:58

GyozaGuiting · 28/09/2022 07:59

My local labour MP is awful, I also don’t agree with their position on several issues, fundamental issues. I just miss proper conservative politics, I think Rishi would have done a better job, why we’ve put incompetent Liz in charge I’ve no idea.
William Hague would have been better! Or someone like Johnny Mercer… but Liz Truss? I despair.

I think it's obvious why party members didn't vote for Rishi.

Rina66 · 28/09/2022 08:58

I think all of the political parties have had their day, the world has moved on but politics hasn't. We need a whole new party more in tune with the world today - in the short term, we also need to take politics out of the NHS, they need to form a cross party coalition to deal solely with the NHS, it shouldn't be a point scoring political stick for them to beat each other with, it needs a collaborative solution from all parties.

BoreOfWhabylon · 28/09/2022 09:00

ARoyalSubject · 28/09/2022 08:53

Don't think about what YOU personally want. Forget Labour, forget Conservative, forget labels or past alliances.

Consider instead what does the country need? Does it need more of the same, or something different?

Whatever your political leanings, it's very clear to anyone who values honestly, integrity, empathy and compassion (most decent British people, I would argue), that the Tories need some "time out" on the naughty step right now.

Therefore only sensible thing to do is vote for whoever is most likely to beat the Conservatives in your constituency.

If Labour get in, as a Tory, you might not be happy. But how will you feel if this government are returned to power?

As you say, the government we have at the moment isn't Conservatism as you recognise it. It's awful; it's incompetence, corruption, cruelty, trashing things for ordinary Brits in pursuit of extremist ideology, lying for their own gain anything goes in the pursuit of Tory power. I'm glad you've had the courage to admit that.

Excellent post. I agree with every word.

MayThe4th · 28/09/2022 09:01

Pilipalapal · 28/09/2022 08:45

Really? You genuinely think that the government being incompetent is less of a problem than the opposition critiquing the government in the way you’d like?

the problem though is that as much as people want the conservatives out, the labour aren’t making themselves enough of a prospect to gain the votes that the conservatives lose.

So it’s entirely likely that the tories will lose some votes, but many of them won’t go to labour because they’re just not a credible opposition. Instead many of those people will spoil their paper or just not vote at all, or vote for an independent, just so that the tories don’t get their vote. But unless the labour vote increases, the tories will still win.

This is why labour need to do more.

MrsSkylerWhite · 28/09/2022 09:02

SilverGlitterBaubles · Today 08:23
The Conservatives are now essentially a far right libertarian ideology group run by the ERG and think tanks they are no longer the traditional Tory party. Brexit was the beginning of this, they got rid of all moderate Torys and now they have full control to try out their crazy economic fantasies. They are running the country for the benefit of their rich backers not for the benefit of the people and the sooner people wake up to the danger we are in the better.“

spot on.

ARoyalSubject · 28/09/2022 09:03

I actually also believe the colour of the government should change periodically, when 1 party is in power for too long they seem to forget what they started out to do

Agree. I naturally lean left but held my nose and voted Tory in 2010. Labour had got stale after 13 years in power. Kind of regret it now, and haven't voted Tory since, but the sentiment holds true and I would consider doing similar again, if the situation felt right in future.

Arnaquer · 28/09/2022 09:04

MrsSkylerWhite · 28/09/2022 09:02

SilverGlitterBaubles · Today 08:23
The Conservatives are now essentially a far right libertarian ideology group run by the ERG and think tanks they are no longer the traditional Tory party. Brexit was the beginning of this, they got rid of all moderate Torys and now they have full control to try out their crazy economic fantasies. They are running the country for the benefit of their rich backers not for the benefit of the people and the sooner people wake up to the danger we are in the better.“

spot on.

Hear hear

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

TeaKlaxon · 28/09/2022 09:06

LifeOnATrain · 28/09/2022 08:08

the biggest problem is the lack of opposition. Good opposition holds the party in power to account. We just don't have any good political leadership anywhere. There's a giant political vacuum at the moment.

Bollox. Labour are a credible alternative, with serious leadership and, crucially, likely to restore some integrity and seriousness in policy making.

This 'they're as bad as each other', 'there is no alternative' is just BS that people who don't want to vote Labour (or others) tell themselves to justify putting a disastrous Tory Government in power.

nonono1 · 28/09/2022 09:08

When voters in this country were offered a real chance at change they didn’t want it. At least if Corbyn had got in he’d have been on the side of the poor. Truss and Kwarteng only care about the rich.

TeaKlaxon · 28/09/2022 09:10

MayThe4th · 28/09/2022 09:01

the problem though is that as much as people want the conservatives out, the labour aren’t making themselves enough of a prospect to gain the votes that the conservatives lose.

So it’s entirely likely that the tories will lose some votes, but many of them won’t go to labour because they’re just not a credible opposition. Instead many of those people will spoil their paper or just not vote at all, or vote for an independent, just so that the tories don’t get their vote. But unless the labour vote increases, the tories will still win.

This is why labour need to do more.

You know that Labour are consistently polling in the low to mid forties?

For context, in Labour's 1997 landslide, the party won 43%. So the polling currently has them roughly where they ended up in 1997.

Similarly, the Tories won about 30% of the vote in 1997. They are currently polling just over 30%.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.