Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Any Conservatives out there?

194 replies

GyozaGuiting · 28/09/2022 07:53

I’m a Conservative party member, (don’t hate me). I am appalled by the party right now.

Conservative politics is about protecting and growing the economy by stimulating growth with open markets, less state intervention, creating conditions for businesses to thrive/self employment etc. It’s about measured competence and at its core is the premise that hard work pays off.

This Conservative party isn’t about any of this, it’s about elitism, which they don’t even try and hide anymore, the top 1-5%. It’s not hard work, it’s who you know.

I run a business and would have been eligible for one of those huge covid contracts, I didn’t even get to apply, but it went to one of their friends. I wrote to my MP and I just got sent a web link (none of the contracts were on there).

I can’t imagine voting labour (for reasons too numerous to mention), but I feel I couldn’t bring myself to vote for my MP right now.

Any other conservatives feel this way? What can we do?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

163 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
28%
You are NOT being unreasonable
72%
ThreeRingCircus · 28/09/2022 08:14

I'm with you OP. I'm not a party member but have voted Conservative in the past more often than not. I am aghast really. I had a lot of respect for Theresa May but since then it's been getting worse and worse.....and I can't forgive them for Brexit. I think the party as it currently stands has completely lost touch with most conservative voters. I mean....Liz Truss? Wtf were the membership thinking? And now already submitting votes of no confidence..... it's just ridiculous and makes a mockery of it all.

Up until recently I'd have said I'd have to spoil my ballot but I think unfortunately I'll have to vote Labour. I think Labour are shit and they worry me on a lot of issues but to be perfectly honest that's no different to the conservative party in its current guise. I'd perhaps vote Greens or Lib Dem depending on their policies and manifesto.

MyLovelyPen · 28/09/2022 08:15

@RoomOfRequirement totally agree and this is one of the most dangerous Tory mantras. Those who are rich work harder than those of us who aren’t - it’s such an utter pile of bullshit. Even in my own house my dh will happily admit he doesn’t work anywhere near as hard as I do but gets paid far more than me because I work in the public sector.

Look ar many of the Tory MPs with their inherited wealth telling us to work harder. It makes me so angry. Wealth isn’t connected to hard work - utter nonsense. But it’s a stick that’s constantly used to beat the poor 🤬.

vincettenoir · 28/09/2022 08:17

Vote Labour.

Fishandchipsupper · 28/09/2022 08:18

Liz has tanked the economy, she promised a fairy tale and a magic money tree and got in. Rishi spoke economic sense didn’t make stupid policies and lost. If the other parties didn’t think that men are women, I’d have an option. Politics are insane at the moment

Whatafustercluck · 28/09/2022 08:19

Leave the party, stop funding them. Vote for another party.

If you really cannot vote for your local Labour candidate, then look into vote swapping - vote LibDem or Green and ask someone else in another constituency to vote for a Labour candidate you like. This is particularly important in marginals.

Whatafustercluck · 28/09/2022 08:21

I had a lot of respect for Theresa May but since then it's been getting worse and worse....

I said to dh last night that I now look back on the Theresa May time as halcyon days. I've never voted Conservative, but I too had some respect for her.

ThermoSpooklear · 28/09/2022 08:21

GyozaGuiting · 28/09/2022 08:07

@ThermoSpooklear I did consider trying to be more active in the party to have an influence and working my way up to stand… but it’s really who you know still and playing a careful career game (that’s in all parties)

I wish I could be a famous stand up and just go straight for it (looking at Eddie izzard! No beef, but the normal route not require).

Politics really is infuriating. It was glib of me to suggest it as I'm also at a loss as to how make real changes as an individual.

Hoppinggreen · 28/09/2022 08:22

I was a Young Conservative at Uni and always voted Tory from as soon as I could vote. In the last election I voted Liberal and will probably vote Labour at the next one.
We actually do ok under The Tories, the latest cuts benefit us but I now loathe them and can’t see myself ever voting for them again.
Voting Labour is something I never believed I would do and I hated Corbyn and his Momentum woke Bro lot but there is no way I could vote for the Conservatives now.
I am also very GC and I know a lot of women say this is why they can’t vote Labour but when families are losing their homes and in danger of starving I have to put that ahead of the “Labour don’t know what a woman is” argument.
I have a Business and work with Business people so I always believed that Labour was bad for business and maybe they still are but The Conservatives are simply bad for the whole country

SilverGlitterBaubles · 28/09/2022 08:23

The Conservatives are now essentially a far right libertarian ideology group run by the ERG and think tanks they are no longer the traditional Tory party. Brexit was the beginning of this, they got rid of all moderate Torys and now they have full control to try out their crazy economic fantasies. They are running the country for the benefit of their rich backers not for the benefit of the people and the sooner people wake up to the danger we are in the better.

Mumoblue · 28/09/2022 08:23

Sorry but if you’re still a conservative atm you voted for the leopards eating peoples faces party so you can’t complain that the leopards ate your face.

Iamanunsafebuilding · 28/09/2022 08:27

My local MP is Conservative and is a good local MP, my voting preference is generally centre-right so until fairly recently I was happy to vote for him. I am appalled and outraged at the current government and as for Liz Truss, I have no words. A Labour council has been awful for my town and I think Kier is a personality vacuum.

Good politics needs a strong opposition, regardless of who is in power. The government should be forced to adapt their policies to benefit everyone. This is a shit show and I will never forgive David Cameron for Brexit

medianewbie · 28/09/2022 08:28

GottaGetOutofDairy · 28/09/2022 08:01

As an aside, this is where divisive politics gets us: there have been massive red flags all along the journey to this point (not least in who has been fired, who has been hired and in what posts - in far reaching roles well outside the cabinet) but the culture wars means that people automatically disbelieve 'the other side'.

Once they identifiy with a camp, it's almost impossible for them to believe criticism that's seen to come from outside. Hence the tags such as 'loonie lefties' or 'remoaners' or whatever it is. It's a culture war tactic to undermine critics so that real debate and scrutiny is avoided.

Yes. And social media (easy to manipulate) has made it much worse. Brexit was very 'tribal'. IndyRef2 will be very tribal. Huge decisions, lasting consequences. Current incarnation are NOT 'traditional one nation Tories' (bad enough imo) but Disaster Capitalism. Current Tories need to reject them at the ballot box. In droves.

SilverGlitterBaubles · 28/09/2022 08:28

MyLovelyPen · 28/09/2022 08:15

@RoomOfRequirement totally agree and this is one of the most dangerous Tory mantras. Those who are rich work harder than those of us who aren’t - it’s such an utter pile of bullshit. Even in my own house my dh will happily admit he doesn’t work anywhere near as hard as I do but gets paid far more than me because I work in the public sector.

Look ar many of the Tory MPs with their inherited wealth telling us to work harder. It makes me so angry. Wealth isn’t connected to hard work - utter nonsense. But it’s a stick that’s constantly used to beat the poor 🤬.

All of this was outlined in their blueprint book Britannia Unchained written by none other than Truss, Kwarteng, Raab, Priti Patel. They called the British said the British workers were among the worst idlers in the world. Just shows how much respect they have for the people of the country.

Technophobic · 28/09/2022 08:29

Vote Labour.

Peridot1 · 28/09/2022 08:29

The thing is you will never agree with everything that a party says or stands for.

I’ll never ever vote conservative as I’ll never forgive them for Brexit. I’m Irish (living in UK) and the word Tory comes from an old Irish word “toraí” which essentially means outlaws or bandits. Says it all! They are and always have been out for themselves.

I voted Lib Dem last time even though I essentially knew it was a wasted vote as I was in a safe Conservative area. Next time I’ll definitely vote Labour. They are not perfect and I don’t agree with everything but my God are they likely to be better than the current shit show. And on the whole not knowing what a woman is thing - there is time to address this. If Labour realise that this is a big vote loser they may change their ideas. Write to female Labour MPs even if they are not your MP. Jess Phillips would be a good choice. Or Yvette Cooper. In fact I really wish she was head of Labour.

donquixotedelamancha · 28/09/2022 08:30

Vote Lib Dem

OP has asked a reasonable question, there is no need for sarcasm.

boxybox · 28/09/2022 08:32

I run a business and would have been eligible for one of those huge covid contracts, I didn’t even get to apply, but it went to one of their friends. I wrote to my MP and I just got sent a web link (none of the contracts were on there).

If you did get a contract would you be writing this post?

SilverGlitterBaubles · 28/09/2022 08:33

@Iamanunsafebuilding

Give me boring personality vacuum any day if it means stable, serious, capable. If I want entertainment I'll watch Netflix.

. *

TightDiamondShoes · 28/09/2022 08:34

I’m a party member and I’m not happy with them at all right now - even loyal member family members (one of whom has stood for election…) have said they need out.

I wanted Kemi or Tom and voted for Rishi - I don’t understand the appeal of Liz at all - only thing in her favour is that she’s a young woman.

I’m in a safe Lib Dem seat bit will always vote my choice - even if I know there’s no hope of winning.

ill likely be out with the coloured crayons next time.

paintitallover · 28/09/2022 08:36

Stinging rebuke from the IMF this morning, apparently "without precedent ". The government is sunk.

SleeplessInEngland · 28/09/2022 08:37

Sincere answer: if I was a conservative right now I'd probably want them to be out of power for at least a term. As a party it's completely lost its way and needs a break to soul-search. For all our sakes.

Thepeopleversuswork · 28/09/2022 08:37

I am not and never will be a Conservative voter but until recently I have at least been able to understand the logic behind voting Conservative and have held a grudging respect for the competent One Nation wing of the party.

The clowns who are running it now are so far removed from any notion of competence that they resemble the leadership of a banana republic more than the government of an advanced western democracy. I have never known a time in my 50 years on this planet of feeling more despondent about the state of this country.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

AntlerRose · 28/09/2022 08:37

I wonder if my local tory mp will eventually stand up and say this isnt the tory party anymore.

I dont have a fixed party to vote for and i live in a very safe seat anyway so think its pointless voting in many ways. Although i do.

But i think its healthy to have changes in government after a long period of time. Say labour did get in for 5 years, what do you think they will do that will be disastrous and cant be undone after your party of choice has a break and regroups? Maybe there are things labour/liberal are proposing you think will destroy the country and you wint change your mind, or maybe it will be a case of I can put up with this for a few years until my lot come back better

Mardyface · 28/09/2022 08:39

I disagree with your politics. But the idea that you wouldn't vote labour next time due to loyalty a set of ideologies that is currently dead or sleeping while the country slowly sinks into abject poverty and suffering is worse than insane to me.

Vote labour to save us from this bunch of villains and plan the return of old fashioned conservatism in the meantime if you must.

Notonthestairs · 28/09/2022 08:42

Kemi Badenoch is from the exact same wing of the party as Truss and Kwarteng. I have no idea why anyone would think things would be different under her.

The Conservatives under Johnson deliberately ditched the One Nation Tories and brought the ERG in to Cabinet.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.