My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Imagine getting the hardest job of your life aged 73 and having to do it till you die.

358 replies

MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:11

Just watching the ‘highlights’ of the day (if you can call it that).
I’m not a monarchist. But I really feel for Charles. He looked much older than I’ve seen him look before, so sad (naturally) and utterly exhausted.

Most people are retired aged 73. Imagine being that age and only just getting started on your hardest job. And not being able to decline the role (without massive fallout) and having to do it till you die.

And think about what motivates the rest of us in our jobs: the prospect of increased reward, status, respect, and finally more downtime as we reach retirement to enjoy the fruits of our labour.
Obviously he has all the wealth, status etc already … but then where can any motivation come from? He just doesn’t have a choice - it’s duty. Talk about a gilded cage.

I felt quite emotional watching Charles, William and George in the wake of the coffin. Knowing that it will come to them one day. Knowing their destiny is already set, whether they like it or not. What a life, to be royal.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

755 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
EfficientDynamics · 19/09/2022 21:14

Cutting ribbons and shaking people's hands is'nt that hard tbh

Iamnotyourmum · 19/09/2022 21:14

I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it has been for the new King over the last 10 days. His schedule has been punishing for a man half his age, and dealing with the death of his beloved mother. I hope he gets some down time now.

KangarooKenny · 19/09/2022 21:15

He can abdicate.

HailAdrian · 19/09/2022 21:16

It pays well though.

WhileMyGuitarGentlyWeeps · 19/09/2022 21:16

Save your tears, he will be fine.

I am a fan of the Royal Family, but Charles doesn't need tears and sympathy. Neither does William or George.

They are all free to abdicate/refuse to be the King.

NCforthis864 · 19/09/2022 21:16

I sometimes wonder how Kate feels knowing George has to serve that life, never being free enough able to do what he might want - be a lawyer, train driver, gardener, whatever. I would find it hard knowing my child had no choice.

SemperIdem · 19/09/2022 21:16

I agree with you. Charles looks absolutely devastated. I think losing a parent once you have passed the threshold into old age yourself is as uniquely painful as losing a parent very young.

He will most likely have to plan his funeral alongside his coronation.

TheLightSideOfTheMoon · 19/09/2022 21:16

If Nostradamus is correct he’ll abdicate next year.

Then he’ll have a nice, cosy retirement.

Unless he abdicates due to health reasons.

Azanrain · 19/09/2022 21:16

His entire life so far has been the relaxation most of us only get in retirement. He was lucky enough to have it when he was younger, healthier and therefore able to make the most of it. It’s not like it’s an especially challenging job anyway.

tickticksnooze · 19/09/2022 21:16

It's not a surprise. It's a ceremonial role not a job.

He has choices.

He believes it's god's will that he's special and chosen.

He's fucking coddled. Living in poverty is far harder than his so-called job.

He has choices.

Comedycook · 19/09/2022 21:17

Imagine not having to worry about paying any bills

Imagine being able to see a doctor and get the best medical care without having to wait

Imagine having multiple homes with beautiful grounds

Imagine having servants so you don't have to do any housework or chores

I could go on and on...

Wide0awake · 19/09/2022 21:17

I think the sad part for each generation of heirs is knowing that they don’t really begin to fulfil their purpose until their parent has died. It must be a strange and sorrowful waiting game.

Sparklingbrook · 19/09/2022 21:17

I sometimes wonder how Kate feels knowing George has to serve that life, never being free enough able to do what he might want - be a lawyer, train driver, gardener, whatever. I would find it hard knowing my child had no choice.

Yes, nobody is going to ever ask George what he wants to be when he grows up. Sad

CathyorClaire · 19/09/2022 21:17

Any or all can walk away at any time.

The fact they overwhelmingly tend not to says it all.

Canany1cme · 19/09/2022 21:17

Do you seriously believe that is all the Royal family do?

BigYellowElephant · 19/09/2022 21:18

It's sad for George. Its not sad for Charles.

tickticksnooze · 19/09/2022 21:18

She chose to force that upon her children. Hopefully she feels guilty because she should.

itsnotdeep · 19/09/2022 21:18

Oh fgs. He has a choice. And I really don't think it's the hardest job that a person could have.

They all have a choice, but really? Being a king is hard? I have to work until I'm 68 and my job is a damn sight harder. And I don't have servants, unlimited wealth and privilege to protect me.

VladmirsPoutine · 19/09/2022 21:18

This is what Kate wanted, I imagine she's relieved she finally got here in the end.

Y7drama · 19/09/2022 21:19

I think it must have been dreadfully hard over the past few days, and emotionally exhausting. But I think that although a lot of their days are duty filled, there must be good days too that aren’t available/accessible to the rest of the world. You have the best food, healthcAre, servants, palaces, ability to follow hobbies (queen and horse racing) etc

sjxoxo · 19/09/2022 21:19

…I feel sad he’s lost his mother but not sad about the rest. The pay & lifestyle is very much worthwhile IMO.

CapMarvel · 19/09/2022 21:20

If he doesn't like having to do a bit of waving in exchange for living a life of complete privilege then he can abdicate.

Save your sympathy for those who deserve it

lemonyanus · 19/09/2022 21:22

Ha ha, that reminds me of the Duke of Edinburgh 'I declare this thing open, whatever it is' Grin

lemonyanus · 19/09/2022 21:25

Prince George can do literally anything he fancies as a hobby, he'll be fine

JulesCobb · 19/09/2022 21:25

Children living on around or under the poverty line also have no choices. Adults struggling to pay bills have no choices.

at least George will actually have a choice to either do the ceremonial role and live a life of wealth and luxury, or to abdicate and live a life of wealth and luxury.

charles looks tired today because grief is draining, and the past two weeks for Charles will have been gruelling. Today especially.

but the difference is Charles knows it isnt going to be like this every day or every week.

he can choose to give more responsibility to William, Edward and other royals.

he has choices.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.