My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Imagine getting the hardest job of your life aged 73 and having to do it till you die.

358 replies

MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:11

Just watching the ‘highlights’ of the day (if you can call it that).
I’m not a monarchist. But I really feel for Charles. He looked much older than I’ve seen him look before, so sad (naturally) and utterly exhausted.

Most people are retired aged 73. Imagine being that age and only just getting started on your hardest job. And not being able to decline the role (without massive fallout) and having to do it till you die.

And think about what motivates the rest of us in our jobs: the prospect of increased reward, status, respect, and finally more downtime as we reach retirement to enjoy the fruits of our labour.
Obviously he has all the wealth, status etc already … but then where can any motivation come from? He just doesn’t have a choice - it’s duty. Talk about a gilded cage.

I felt quite emotional watching Charles, William and George in the wake of the coffin. Knowing that it will come to them one day. Knowing their destiny is already set, whether they like it or not. What a life, to be royal.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

755 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:05

What’s your point? A senior aide wrote to ask if they were eligible for a government grant to heat the palaces….palaces the Queen doesn’t own but is expected to pay to heat. That has nothing to do with the charity work the royal family does. I know loads of volunteers for charity that get the pensioner warm home government grant…for homes they actually own.

Comedycook · 19/09/2022 22:05

but I think what must be really hard is having your life mapped out - literally every Remembrance Sunday you'll be at the Cenotaph, and every Christmas you'll be at Sandringham, and every opening of parliament you'll be there etc etc etc, every single year, until you're dead

Every month, paying your mortgage, council tax.

Every year, arranging your cars mot

Every year, completing your tax return

LightHousePanda · 19/09/2022 22:05

Comedycook · 19/09/2022 21:17

Imagine not having to worry about paying any bills

Imagine being able to see a doctor and get the best medical care without having to wait

Imagine having multiple homes with beautiful grounds

Imagine having servants so you don't have to do any housework or chores

I could go on and on...

This!

Sure a lot of people probably would prefer to have all the castles and the money without the "duty" but it's not the great sacrifice people make out.

Also, people talk of opportunities which they can't go for but there's a whole mountain they get that others don't. I never got the grades to get into Cambridge Uni and neither did Charles III - but he got to go because of who he is.

Charles has a number of interests which he has pursued. He even released a book about design and created his little town. So it's not true that there's no freedom or choice to pursue interests. In one year most of Prince William's engagements were rugby matches. Also, they can leave the position. No one is holding them with a gun to their heads. I get that there would be issues and it would delegitimise it for others.

Milkand2sugarsplease · 19/09/2022 22:05

I neither like nor dislike the royals. I don't think that do a right lot but I know they being in money to to economy through tourism etc so I just leave them to get on with things and I get on with mine.

However, Charles will (and has had) a cushy number too. He has the time to do what he does because he has endless staff to take on the day to day ness of life - I'd have loads of time to devote to all sorts of hobbies or charities if I had someone to cook, clean, pick out my clothes, walk the dogs and someone to drive me everywhere etc.

It's a life he was born into but it's a life he's chosen to remain in too.

CapMarvel · 19/09/2022 22:05

Speedweed · 19/09/2022 22:01

I agree their massive wealth cushions them from many of the stresses and strains normal people have, but I think what must be really hard is having your life mapped out - literally every Remembrance Sunday you'll be at the Cenotaph, and every Christmas you'll be at Sandringham, and every opening of parliament you'll be there etc etc etc, every single year, until you're dead. Bad enough for William who was born into it, but it must be so hard for Kate to have such little spontaneity.

How is that any different from a normal job?

Every monday to friday or more people have to get up and go to work because that's how they can afford a home or a meal.

The royals are hardly going to go hungry if they don't turn up for an engagement.

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:06

Bbq1 · 19/09/2022 21:52

Imagine having to travel to multiple countries but never in a leisure capacity. Imagine idiots sticking their camera in your face (even when you've just lost your mother), Imagine all the countless hands you have to shake. Imagine never just being able to do your own thing and always having duty to answer to. Imagine never really having privacy. I could go ON.

He will have privacy and will be kept away from the plebs 99% of the time. He can travel for leisure and again, will be kept away from the plebs.

It is an absurd “job” and should absolutely be ditched. There is no point in the royal family. We have an absolute shit show hitting a lot of the population and the royal family have no will/care/interest in fixing it - because they can’t. What exactly is their point?

Abouttimemum · 19/09/2022 22:07

Well I wouldn’t want to do it. I like to get home at 5pm, throw my PJ’s on and watch shite on Netflix until bedtime. You could throw all the money in the world at me and it would still be a no.

Notplayingball · 19/09/2022 22:07

Carproblem · 19/09/2022 21:50

Virtue signalling off a tiny percentage of their insane income because PR insists on it isn't the same as "caring".

The UK is headed towards the darkest economic and environmental disaster ever known.
A small crumb from his majesty's obscenely massive table simply isn't going to cut the mustard.

£2bn a year is a drop in the ocean. Try £200bn then you might find they would be seen as setting a fine example to helping the needy.

They don't need all that obscene wealth.

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:08

Milkand2sugarsplease · 19/09/2022 22:05

I neither like nor dislike the royals. I don't think that do a right lot but I know they being in money to to economy through tourism etc so I just leave them to get on with things and I get on with mine.

However, Charles will (and has had) a cushy number too. He has the time to do what he does because he has endless staff to take on the day to day ness of life - I'd have loads of time to devote to all sorts of hobbies or charities if I had someone to cook, clean, pick out my clothes, walk the dogs and someone to drive me everywhere etc.

It's a life he was born into but it's a life he's chosen to remain in too.

I just don’t buy the tourism thing - tourists don’t get to see the royals! They’re just buildings they’ve come to see. We need a bit more to offer than a rich family.

AppleCreamSlice · 19/09/2022 22:08

Abouttimemum · 19/09/2022 22:07

Well I wouldn’t want to do it. I like to get home at 5pm, throw my PJ’s on and watch shite on Netflix until bedtime. You could throw all the money in the world at me and it would still be a no.

Can the King not do that too? 😅

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:08

Kanaloa · 19/09/2022 21:52

Wise up 😂 do you really think they stroll the expansive grounds of their palaces in their expensive clothes worrying about the shockingly low wages of childcare practitioners in the UK? Do you think they sit eating their ridiculously expensive food and sipping from their crystal goblets and think how sorry they feel about the worrying lack of support for SEN children in UK schools. They. Don’t. Care. They are the 1% and they like it that way. They don’t care about you or me one bit, so save your sympathy for somebody who deserves it - many people (in Britain alone, not even thinking world wide) live their WHOLE lives in fear, in poverty, struggling to make ends meet, trying and trying and getting nowhere. Don’t waste sympathy on a man who has lived all his live in luxury and now has to suffer through being driven to a few meetings and tasks where he will be treated like the best person in the world.

You seem to be very classist and have an irrational hatred for the 1%. They’re not all bad. And they are still human. I have sympathy for anyone who is grieving the loss of a close relative.

Kanaloa · 19/09/2022 22:08

CrabbyCrumble · 19/09/2022 22:01

I also think a lot of 73 years olds would love to have a life where they were treated and lived like an actual King or Queen with servants to cater for their every whim, totally protected from crime and anti social behaviour, attending functions where they were fawned over by people who actually achieved something in life rather than by luck of birth, had world class private doctors, pots of money and personal jets etc.

Rather than living their last years in a poky retirement flat they can’t afford to heat, with meals on wheels if they could afford it on their pittance of a pension, otherwise tinned pilchards or soup that they had to try to open themselves, after doing hard physical work all their lives.

Some of the people I used to care for could only afford one 30 minute carer visit per day. They would be quickly washed and have a meal such as a sandwich and soup prepared, because you know that 30 minutes included my travel time? I could be seeing Mrs Smith from 11-11.30, then I could be scheduled to see Mr Jones (who lived a 10 minute drive away) from 11.30-12. Some of those elderly had no family, nobody they saw except me (and other carers) running in and out to quickly see to their basic needs as best I could. I remember just breaking my heart after I came out of one old lady’s house. It was about lunchtime on January 2nd and as I came in she said ‘I must get you a drink, you’ve just brought in my New Year.’ All for minimum wage, and the majority of us would actually work for less than minimum wage because realistically you have to start about 40 minutes before your schedule starts so you can work in all the travel time.

And as you say many of these people I went to care for had indeed worked hard all their days until they physically couldn’t anymore.

donquixotedelamancha · 19/09/2022 22:08

EfficientDynamics · 19/09/2022 21:14

Cutting ribbons and shaking people's hands is'nt that hard tbh

This. I'd do it for only £100 million a year and save the country a fortune.

I agree with all the comments about how unpleasant the control and scrutiny over their lives must be; but that's all the more reason to reform a toxic institution and save the country a fortune.

Comedycook · 19/09/2022 22:08

I really get fed up of this. I'll tolerate the royals with their privilege and wealth but no I will not feel sorry for them. If you do, I suggest that you've really drunk the kool aid.

Kanaloa · 19/09/2022 22:10

You seem to be very classist and have an irrational hatred for the 1%. They’re not all bad. And they are still human. I have sympathy for anyone who is grieving the loss of a close relative.

I’m not classist you numpty. I’m just not wasting my time pouring sympathy out for a man doing a ‘very hard job’ of living in luxury through his own choice. I don’t hate him, I’m utterly indifferent to him. I extend the same sympathy towards him he would extend to me. None.

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:10

Having a 1% who have too much wealth is the problem with our society and economy.

it doesn’t have to be quite so skewed but it is and getting worse. There isn’t an infinite supply of wealth.

yes they are human, that doesn’t mean the system has to stay the same.

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:11

@Carproblem
Virtue signalling off a tiny percentage of their insane income because PR insists on it isn't the same as "caring"

Since when is 75-85% a “tiny percentage”?!! And PR can’t force anyone to those extremes.

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:12

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:10

Having a 1% who have too much wealth is the problem with our society and economy.

it doesn’t have to be quite so skewed but it is and getting worse. There isn’t an infinite supply of wealth.

yes they are human, that doesn’t mean the system has to stay the same.

So hate the system then. Don’t hate them.

5128gap · 19/09/2022 22:13

donquixotedelamancha · 19/09/2022 22:08

This. I'd do it for only £100 million a year and save the country a fortune.

I agree with all the comments about how unpleasant the control and scrutiny over their lives must be; but that's all the more reason to reform a toxic institution and save the country a fortune.

You'll price yourself out of the market. I could show up for a couple of hours for 40 quid and still consider it a pay rise. 😂

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:13

Kanaloa · 19/09/2022 22:10

I’m not classist you numpty. I’m just not wasting my time pouring sympathy out for a man doing a ‘very hard job’ of living in luxury through his own choice. I don’t hate him, I’m utterly indifferent to him. I extend the same sympathy towards him he would extend to me. None.

No, you’re doing more than saying you have no sympathy, you are claiming he and his entire family don’t care about any of the poor or struggling common folk in the U.K. This is classism. And you do hate him. Your words drip with contempt.

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:15

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:13

No, you’re doing more than saying you have no sympathy, you are claiming he and his entire family don’t care about any of the poor or struggling common folk in the U.K. This is classism. And you do hate him. Your words drip with contempt.

Are you claiming that he does care?

If he did, he couldn’t do anything about it so again, what the point of having all of that symbolism but it has no bearing? It’s a very expensive bauble.

Downwithnonsense · 19/09/2022 22:15

Boo fucking hoo

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LightHousePanda · 19/09/2022 22:15

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:08

I just don’t buy the tourism thing - tourists don’t get to see the royals! They’re just buildings they’ve come to see. We need a bit more to offer than a rich family.

I agree it doesn't make sense. It's a weak argument. I've visited a lot of royal palaces in Europe but I have missed out getting into a few and those were all in countries with current royal families as they were closed to tourists when i went It's palaces in countries without royal families who do better for tourist numbers as they're open all year. The palace of Versailles does alright and is one of the world's most visited palaces.

Dotell · 19/09/2022 22:16

Poor king.

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:16

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:12

So hate the system then. Don’t hate them.

Where did I say I hate them?

I didn’t. You are projecting.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.