My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Imagine getting the hardest job of your life aged 73 and having to do it till you die.

358 replies

MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:11

Just watching the ‘highlights’ of the day (if you can call it that).
I’m not a monarchist. But I really feel for Charles. He looked much older than I’ve seen him look before, so sad (naturally) and utterly exhausted.

Most people are retired aged 73. Imagine being that age and only just getting started on your hardest job. And not being able to decline the role (without massive fallout) and having to do it till you die.

And think about what motivates the rest of us in our jobs: the prospect of increased reward, status, respect, and finally more downtime as we reach retirement to enjoy the fruits of our labour.
Obviously he has all the wealth, status etc already … but then where can any motivation come from? He just doesn’t have a choice - it’s duty. Talk about a gilded cage.

I felt quite emotional watching Charles, William and George in the wake of the coffin. Knowing that it will come to them one day. Knowing their destiny is already set, whether they like it or not. What a life, to be royal.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

755 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
SingularityCat · 20/09/2022 15:35

wottabargain · 20/09/2022 13:10

As I spent most of yesterday doing my hobby I did think how awful it would be to not have time to just shut myself away to do it, but to be largely unable to get away from my 'job'. For all those saying how privileged they are, I genuinely wouldn't want their lives for all the money in China, would you?

As I said, Charles "worked" for 160 days in 2019 (William did 120, Harry did under 100). And don't forget that some of those days will be things like their Christmas day walk to church. My eyes were really opened to how out of touch they are when Harry was talking about how it was great to have Meghan at Sandringham for Christmas so she could see it was part family occasion, part work and I was just thinking "work?! Does he mean the walk to church?!". They really do all have ample time and resources to pursue whatever hobbies they want.

Comedycook · 20/09/2022 15:42

Yes and don't forget when they're not working, they don't have to deal with household chores and life admin like the rest of us do. They aren't cleaning their homes, washing their car, sorting out their mot and arranging a plumber to fix their shower.

dottiedodah · 20/09/2022 15:48

I think Charles always looks like a man who has a lot on his mind.Yes of course he is well rewarded for his role ,but he always seems like he would be happy at home in his garden, than making small talk.He obv has advisors and Camilla alongside him but I agree ,its a lot of strain for a man of his age

Noviembre · 20/09/2022 15:57

Being a Royal is not a job. If he was fitting boilers or stacking shelves or writing software or teaching, it would be a job. Simply existing while being rich is not a job.

Sparklybutold · 20/09/2022 17:32

I really don't think it's the hardest job at all. He literally gets pens handed to him and woe be tied anyone who doesn't do this right. Why exactly do you think it's a hard job?

halfsiesonapotnoodle · 20/09/2022 17:54

Sparklybutold · 20/09/2022 17:32

I really don't think it's the hardest job at all. He literally gets pens handed to him and woe be tied anyone who doesn't do this right. Why exactly do you think it's a hard job?

Woe betide.

PollyPingit · 20/09/2022 19:13

Some horrible comments here! Just because it’s a lifestyle that is unlike ours and just because they don’t have to worry about financial concerns doesn’t mean their lives are easy. I have felt hugely sad for Charles and the family having to step up and grieve in the full glare of the media with the world watching their every move. Yes they can abdicate, but the sense of duty that is drummed into them from an early age makes that harder in practice than in theory. Look at the situation Harry is in after stepping away! Didn’t go well did it!

BruceHellerAlmighty · 20/09/2022 20:07

Jfc this is not about accepting diverse lifestyle choices. It's monarchy. You literally have a king who rules over you via heredity. Don't feel sorry for a king who rules your land through heredity.

GoodVibesHere · 20/09/2022 20:15

NCforthis864 · 19/09/2022 21:16

I sometimes wonder how Kate feels knowing George has to serve that life, never being free enough able to do what he might want - be a lawyer, train driver, gardener, whatever. I would find it hard knowing my child had no choice.

If George wants to drive a train, he can...they have enough money and status to take up any hobby or leisure persuits which take their fancy. Heck he could get a full train track built on his private land if he fancies it. The Queen adored her horses and her dogs - I would too if I had the money, time and staff on hand to meet my every whim!

CathyorClaire · 20/09/2022 20:26

Look at the situation Harry is in after stepping away! Didn’t go well did it!

No reason it couldn't have done had he been quietly content with the ever so many millions he had stashed in the bank.

As it is his 'situation' is largely of his own making.

HairyMothballs · 20/09/2022 20:27

Imagine having the best of everything, with servants to do every single thing for you?

CathyorClaire · 20/09/2022 20:37

I did think how awful it would be to not have time to just shut myself away to do it, but to be largely unable to get away from my 'job'.

The Court Circular reveals the days upon days with no listed engagements (which might in any case be no more than a morning telephone call) the senior royals enjoy.

The sainted Anne even laughably has her birthday noted on the 'work' roster.

Wishyfishy · 20/09/2022 20:45

Do you think there is really more work as monarch than as high ranking working royal though?

Sure the monarch does things like the state opening of parliament and the weekly meeting with the PM (term time only!), but Charles has stood in for his Mother for all of that before anyway? Then it’s mostly the same isn’t? - hosting dinners, cutting ribbons, reading endless speeches that have been pre-written for you. The Monarch’s private secretaries who arrange all the logistics and prepare for all of it probably have a busier job I’d have thought.

Wishyfishy · 20/09/2022 20:48

CathyorClaire · 20/09/2022 20:37

I did think how awful it would be to not have time to just shut myself away to do it, but to be largely unable to get away from my 'job'.

The Court Circular reveals the days upon days with no listed engagements (which might in any case be no more than a morning telephone call) the senior royals enjoy.

The sainted Anne even laughably has her birthday noted on the 'work' roster.

Yes none of them work every day. Queen used to spend literally all summer at Balmoral didn’t she? And something like the whole Christmas period at Sandringham? I’m sure Charles will disappear to Highgrove for weeks at a time.

They get a lot of holidays (as they should really I guess, given that most of them are old now .. but it’s certainly not 24/7/365).

I think the state dinners would be quite trying but you’d probably get very good at small talk.

Wishyfishy · 20/09/2022 21:04

NCforthis864 · 19/09/2022 21:16

I sometimes wonder how Kate feels knowing George has to serve that life, never being free enough able to do what he might want - be a lawyer, train driver, gardener, whatever. I would find it hard knowing my child had no choice.

I suppose this is true although I think it’s a relatively new idea that you can do or be anything you want. Realistically, most people can’t anyway - once you’re at secondary school it slowly becomes apparent what kind of thing you’re capable and suitable for.

There are still a lot of professions where you are expected to continue the family business too of course. Farms often get passed down generations still.. I’ve known plenty of people who knew they never had a choice. Our plumber works with his Dad (a plumber), this is quite common I think.

I think I feel more sorry for Charlotte and Louis. What are they supposed to do? Like look at Anne, Andrew and Edward. Basically they had to become full time working royals (no chance to become a doctor or vet or accountant) but knowing that as the years pass they become more and more irrelevant and further down the line of succession. As they get further away people get more and more resentful paying for them but it’s hardly like they can give it up and go get a job at 55. Streamlining the monarchy sounds great but what do you do about the people raised to become working royals who are just doing all they’ve ever known..? Harry got “out” but all he does it make money from slagging the family off, he hasn’t found a way of carving out a distinct life. Beatrice and Eugenie apparently work but they seem to have unlimited holiday days and jobs just because of who they are. Even Zara and Peter Philips didn’t really manage it either. I think Peter Philips did some adverts for foreign companies referencing the royal link ? - again, like Harry they just don’t really know what to do. Zara obviously has her horses but she’s really only famous because she’s the queen’s granddaughter and she gets sponsorship and adverts because of it.
It would be really, really good to see Louise or James go and get a real job. Become a teacher or academic or train as a doctor… work in an office as an architect. Something where you’re not just basically a royal celebrity.

Anonymouseposter · 20/09/2022 21:12

Of course he is very privileged in many ways and his life is made very comfortable. I don’t think he sees himself as having choice though. He seems to feel that he has moral and legal duty to fulfill the role he was born to. I don’t think I would swap all the comfort he has for all the intrusion into my life. I am a person of his age who earned a middling wage ( think district nurse, teacher sort of level) and now I have a modest pension. I would rather be me than him but I would rather be him than be someone unable to afford food and heat. I don’t think there should be a monarchy but I think he will do the job that has fallen to him to the best of his ability.

BruceHellerAlmighty · 20/09/2022 21:29

I would rather be me than him

LOL, you literally can't be him so just as well eh. None of us can ever be head of state. It does make me laugh when people come out with stuff like this. It doesn't matter because you can't do it anyway. And the fact that not one citizen in the UK can is the most important part of having a monarchy. It is in fact the point of it. Your touchy feely #bekind views on King Charles and his half empty work diary are completely irrelevant.

soulinablackberrypie · 20/09/2022 21:30

work in an office as an architect

The Duke of Gloucester was a working architect until his brother died and he became the heir to the dukedom. As far as I can work out, Louise and James will be quite a lot further down the line of succession than he was at the time, so if he could do it, they certainly could (in terms of social acceptability - I have no idea how academic they are and what their best subjects are).

Apart from him, I guess the person who's had the most "proper" job is actually Prince Harry when he was in the army.

Re the original question - I don't think it's ridiculous to feel sorry for King Charles in the current circumstances, nor is it incompatible with believing that his job shouldn't exist. It does, and by definition nowadays anyone starting out in that job has just lost someone close to them and is not really being given much of a chance to process that in peace. It was different in the days when you could become king by usurping the previous king and having him executed. Then it might have been a cause for whole-hearted celebration for those on the right side. Actually the person I sort of identified with most in these events was Princess Anne - there was something about her car journey with the coffin in Scotland that reminded me of things to do with my own parents' health crises and deaths, the way you just have to pick yourself up and deal with it, no matter how hard it seems at the time.

Anonymouseposter · 20/09/2022 21:35

I don’t actually agree with the concept of an inherited monarchy but from his point of view I guess he feels it’s the role God assigned him and he has a duty to fulfil it.

BruceHellerAlmighty · 20/09/2022 21:37

That's up to him though isn't it. The rest of us don't have to go along with it. Neither does he really. I mean that nazi one abdicated. Loads of others got bumped off along the way. This lot are only here because they happened to grab it at a relatively peaceful time.

clpsmum · 20/09/2022 22:14

EfficientDynamics · 19/09/2022 21:14

Cutting ribbons and shaking people's hands is'nt that hard tbh

And living in luxury and being paid millions to do it to boot

BitOutOfPractice · 21/09/2022 10:52

I have had a very interesting tone this morning learning exactly how hard the royals work. Even the allegedly hard working ones.

Spoiler: they don’t work hard. They don’t work much.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

carmenitapink · 21/09/2022 11:03

BitOutOfPractice · 21/09/2022 10:52

I have had a very interesting tone this morning learning exactly how hard the royals work. Even the allegedly hard working ones.

Spoiler: they don’t work hard. They don’t work much.

It's very effective PR that you have hundreds of MNs talking about how "hard" they work 😂😂

Novella4 · 21/09/2022 12:19

Yep.

Repeated use of the phrase
' working royals ' drums in the idea that royals work hard. Some people are very susceptible to this programming .

I've seen royalists direct people to the court circular as proof of how hard royals work 😂

pawkins · 21/09/2022 12:33

carmenitapink · 21/09/2022 11:03

It's very effective PR that you have hundreds of MNs talking about how "hard" they work 😂😂

Yes but many appear not to want to believe this because they’d also have to question why people are lining up for food banks while one family live in unfathomable wealth.

And many people don’t seem to have any ability to think at all…. yet this board is supposedly full of six figure earners. All lies.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.