My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Imagine getting the hardest job of your life aged 73 and having to do it till you die.

358 replies

MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:11

Just watching the ‘highlights’ of the day (if you can call it that).
I’m not a monarchist. But I really feel for Charles. He looked much older than I’ve seen him look before, so sad (naturally) and utterly exhausted.

Most people are retired aged 73. Imagine being that age and only just getting started on your hardest job. And not being able to decline the role (without massive fallout) and having to do it till you die.

And think about what motivates the rest of us in our jobs: the prospect of increased reward, status, respect, and finally more downtime as we reach retirement to enjoy the fruits of our labour.
Obviously he has all the wealth, status etc already … but then where can any motivation come from? He just doesn’t have a choice - it’s duty. Talk about a gilded cage.

I felt quite emotional watching Charles, William and George in the wake of the coffin. Knowing that it will come to them one day. Knowing their destiny is already set, whether they like it or not. What a life, to be royal.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

755 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
Discovereads · 19/09/2022 21:40

@Raddix
Agree with everything except
Being completely safe at all times.
People have shot at Queen Elizabeth II and one man snuck into Buckingham Palace and into her bedroom where she was sleeping. She fled and security stepped in. There was also a kidnapping attempt on Princess Anne and a bodyguard took a bullet for her. Those are the plots we know about. I’m sure others are found out and stopped before these people get close to the royals. But, truthfully, If you are royalty, you’re never safe. It’s why you need the constant security and bodyguards.

LimpBiskit · 19/09/2022 21:42

NCforthis864 · 19/09/2022 21:16

I sometimes wonder how Kate feels knowing George has to serve that life, never being free enough able to do what he might want - be a lawyer, train driver, gardener, whatever. I would find it hard knowing my child had no choice.

The monarchy will be abolished before George gets a go.

EarringsandLipstick · 19/09/2022 21:42

RyanYESorNO · 19/09/2022 21:27

He has had (and will continue to have) literally every single thing in his life done for him. Every single thing that each of us find hard and tiring in life: cooking, cleaning, washing, shopping, raising children, working, driving. And he has never ever had any financial worry. He sleeps every night surrounded by opulance.

Yes, he's probably exhausted this week, and I have the exact same sympathy I'd have for anyone having just lost a parent, and he's also had to do it publicly. So yeah, really tough time for him in some ways right now.

But getting 'the hardest job of your life' that involves being driven around, meeting people, attending event, having your every need attended. Ner... I'll save my sympathy for those who spent the hardest job of their life down a mine or in war zones and never got to retirement age. There are millions and millions of people across the world who have much tougher lives at 73.

Excellent post

CrabbyCrumble · 19/09/2022 21:44

Charled has been primed and trained for this from birth and I imagine when the dust settles a bit on the Queen’s passing, he’ll relish it or he would have passed to William. I can’t imagine why he hasn’t at his age. Charles certainly doesn’t have the respect that the Queen had (everyone knows he fantasised about being a tampon, cringe, and people will always remember Diana).

I think William will be great as a King and George will probably pass to Charlotte. She already has the makings of a great leader.

Harry didn’t leave the RF (as a working member) because he didn’t want to be part of it. He left because Meghan wanted to a be a world famous celebrity on her own terms without having to attend factory openings in dreary Dagenham despite needing to be a part of the RF to actually be one!

Iliveonahill · 19/09/2022 21:44

RyanYESorNO · 19/09/2022 21:27

He has had (and will continue to have) literally every single thing in his life done for him. Every single thing that each of us find hard and tiring in life: cooking, cleaning, washing, shopping, raising children, working, driving. And he has never ever had any financial worry. He sleeps every night surrounded by opulance.

Yes, he's probably exhausted this week, and I have the exact same sympathy I'd have for anyone having just lost a parent, and he's also had to do it publicly. So yeah, really tough time for him in some ways right now.

But getting 'the hardest job of your life' that involves being driven around, meeting people, attending event, having your every need attended. Ner... I'll save my sympathy for those who spent the hardest job of their life down a mine or in war zones and never got to retirement age. There are millions and millions of people across the world who have much tougher lives at 73.

Exactly. A friend’s mother is 73 and is travelling back to the Ukraine this week on her own. She wants to see her house and her son.

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 21:44

They couldn’t care less about you, so save your sympathy.

They do care imho about us. I read somewhere that they raise some £2bn a year collectively for charities to help the most vulnerable and in need. Don’t see Bezos or Branson or Polvsen or any billionaires doing the same.

ClottedCreamAndStrawberries · 19/09/2022 21:45

I’m sure that the billions of quid, nicking our inheritance tax, multiple castles and carrier bags full of tax free cash from a Quatari politician more than makes up for it. In the words of the great Justin Timberlake…’Cry me a River’ 😆 😆

TarasHarp55 · 19/09/2022 21:46

But he's never held down a proper job in all his life. At last he might feel some fulfillment.

BeatieBourke · 19/09/2022 21:47

If he doesn't like his new gig he could give up the personal wealth of the family and a few relics, set up a sovereign wealth fund that pays a dividend to UK citizens, lift millions of people out of poverty, change the course of history, revolutionise economics and set an example to the rest of the world.

He won't though.

Carproblem · 19/09/2022 21:47

This myth that being "king" or "queen" (or prince and princess of Wales) is hard work, really needs to be put to bed.
It's a life of luxury, indulgence and obscene privilege. They get waited on hand and foot. They have every material possession and experiences anyone else could only ever dream of. They don't lift a finger and Charles has in fact proven he can't lift a flipping fountain pen.

"Boo hoo poor prince George no one will ask what he wants to be when he grows up" get a fucking grip.

ItsJustLittleOlMe · 19/09/2022 21:47

EfficientDynamics · 19/09/2022 21:14

Cutting ribbons and shaking people's hands is'nt that hard tbh

I think it's a bit more more that. And certainly not something that I'd fancy doing till I was 94, working right up to two days before my death.

Babyroobs · 19/09/2022 21:47

NCforthis864 · 19/09/2022 21:16

I sometimes wonder how Kate feels knowing George has to serve that life, never being free enough able to do what he might want - be a lawyer, train driver, gardener, whatever. I would find it hard knowing my child had no choice.

She had a choice to marry the heir to the throne though? She must have known what she was bringing her kids into?

Suzi888 · 19/09/2022 21:48

HailAdrian · 19/09/2022 21:16

It pays well though.

Oh that. Money isn’t everything I can assure you.

“it’s duty. Talk about a gilded cage.

I felt quite emotional watching Charles, William and George in the wake of the coffin. Knowing that it will come to them one day. Knowing their destiny is already set, whether they like it or not. What a life, to be royal.”

^ well put. You couldn’t pay me enough.

“Prince George can do literally anything he fancies as a hobby, he'll be fine” ahh see. All you need is a hobby and cash to be happy 🙄

ItsJustLittleOlMe · 19/09/2022 21:48

Carproblem · 19/09/2022 21:47

This myth that being "king" or "queen" (or prince and princess of Wales) is hard work, really needs to be put to bed.
It's a life of luxury, indulgence and obscene privilege. They get waited on hand and foot. They have every material possession and experiences anyone else could only ever dream of. They don't lift a finger and Charles has in fact proven he can't lift a flipping fountain pen.

"Boo hoo poor prince George no one will ask what he wants to be when he grows up" get a fucking grip.

Would you like the gig? I certainly wouldn't, not for me or mine.

Foldingchair · 19/09/2022 21:49

They do care imho about us. I read somewhere that they raise some £2bn a year collectively for charities to help the most vulnerable and in need. Don’t see Bezos or Branson or Polvsen or any billionaires doing the same.

But Branson et al don't need to. They're not in a symbiotic relationship with the serfs.

user1471538283 · 19/09/2022 21:49

The way things are going there will be plenty of elderly people working minimum pay until they die.

He is fine. He can swan around getting handsomely rewarded for doing very little. He has had decades of training to get used to the idea.

GreenManalishi · 19/09/2022 21:49

Well it won't be too long and we should all get another bank holiday, he looks absolutely knackered. Should have saved some cash and gone straight for William.

AppleCreamSlice · 19/09/2022 21:49

Not really working though is it? Not in the sense that most of us are familiar with.

If they don't want to do it, I'd be happy to take over 😁

Roomytrouser · 19/09/2022 21:49

they kind of are if we don’t buy the shit they’re selling

Paigeycakey · 19/09/2022 21:50

Azanrain · 19/09/2022 21:16

His entire life so far has been the relaxation most of us only get in retirement. He was lucky enough to have it when he was younger, healthier and therefore able to make the most of it. It’s not like it’s an especially challenging job anyway.

V true

Roomytrouser · 19/09/2022 21:50

To this I mean 😁 “But Branson et al don't need to. They're not in a symbiotic relationship with the serfs”

Carproblem · 19/09/2022 21:50

Virtue signalling off a tiny percentage of their insane income because PR insists on it isn't the same as "caring".

The UK is headed towards the darkest economic and environmental disaster ever known.
A small crumb from his majesty's obscenely massive table simply isn't going to cut the mustard.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Overandunderit · 19/09/2022 21:51

I don't think they make a violin small enough.

ScrambledEggsOnToast2 · 19/09/2022 21:51

Give over "hardest job" 🤣 he literally has someone to dress him. He has to make small talk, cut ribbons and shake hands, for that he's a billionaire, owns more houses than I've got pairs of trousers and has staff to do literally everything for him. He can't even manage a pen without his staff to sort it for him. No. The fawning needs to stop now.

basilmint · 19/09/2022 21:51

Agree with you. This week has been an example of that. Losing your mother and immediately having to travel all over the UK attending endless memorial services, ceremonies, parliamentary addresses etc. I wouldn't want to do it no matter how rich it made me.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.