My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Imagine getting the hardest job of your life aged 73 and having to do it till you die.

358 replies

MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:11

Just watching the ‘highlights’ of the day (if you can call it that).
I’m not a monarchist. But I really feel for Charles. He looked much older than I’ve seen him look before, so sad (naturally) and utterly exhausted.

Most people are retired aged 73. Imagine being that age and only just getting started on your hardest job. And not being able to decline the role (without massive fallout) and having to do it till you die.

And think about what motivates the rest of us in our jobs: the prospect of increased reward, status, respect, and finally more downtime as we reach retirement to enjoy the fruits of our labour.
Obviously he has all the wealth, status etc already … but then where can any motivation come from? He just doesn’t have a choice - it’s duty. Talk about a gilded cage.

I felt quite emotional watching Charles, William and George in the wake of the coffin. Knowing that it will come to them one day. Knowing their destiny is already set, whether they like it or not. What a life, to be royal.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

755 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:25

Yes, he could abdicate.

But really think about it. Think of the massive backlash Harry’s had, by stepping down as a senior royal. If a monarch were to abdicate now is would basically be bringing about an end to the monarchy.

Okay so maybe you think that’s be no bad thing. But imagine the human dimension for a moment - all that pressure on one person. Being brought up for one purpose, and being brought up to believe that turning your back on that purpose is to betray not only your family, but your country. Could you do it?? Could you let that many people down?? Would it really be worth it?

OP posts:
Discovereads · 19/09/2022 21:26

He has a choice, they all do. He can abdicate the throne to William and retire. He doesn’t have to work if he doesn’t want to, he won’t be a hugely rich or privileged, but he won’t have any money worries and be more rich and privileged than most can ever hope to be.

Pedallleur · 19/09/2022 21:26

Born into it, you don't know anything else but you look at those who have gone before and must think I can do that and do It well. Princess Margaret had the chance to leave but she didn't.

BranstonTickle · 19/09/2022 21:27

I'll swap 🖐

RyanYESorNO · 19/09/2022 21:27

He has had (and will continue to have) literally every single thing in his life done for him. Every single thing that each of us find hard and tiring in life: cooking, cleaning, washing, shopping, raising children, working, driving. And he has never ever had any financial worry. He sleeps every night surrounded by opulance.

Yes, he's probably exhausted this week, and I have the exact same sympathy I'd have for anyone having just lost a parent, and he's also had to do it publicly. So yeah, really tough time for him in some ways right now.

But getting 'the hardest job of your life' that involves being driven around, meeting people, attending event, having your every need attended. Ner... I'll save my sympathy for those who spent the hardest job of their life down a mine or in war zones and never got to retirement age. There are millions and millions of people across the world who have much tougher lives at 73.

Cherms · 19/09/2022 21:28

MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:11

Just watching the ‘highlights’ of the day (if you can call it that).
I’m not a monarchist. But I really feel for Charles. He looked much older than I’ve seen him look before, so sad (naturally) and utterly exhausted.

Most people are retired aged 73. Imagine being that age and only just getting started on your hardest job. And not being able to decline the role (without massive fallout) and having to do it till you die.

And think about what motivates the rest of us in our jobs: the prospect of increased reward, status, respect, and finally more downtime as we reach retirement to enjoy the fruits of our labour.
Obviously he has all the wealth, status etc already … but then where can any motivation come from? He just doesn’t have a choice - it’s duty. Talk about a gilded cage.

I felt quite emotional watching Charles, William and George in the wake of the coffin. Knowing that it will come to them one day. Knowing their destiny is already set, whether they like it or not. What a life, to be royal.

I agree. And people wonder why Harry opted out.

It's a job you're born into. You don't get to choose it. But it dominates your life from the minute you're born till the minute you die. And if you put a foot wrong the world comes down on you like a ton of bricks. Harry decided it wasn't the job for him and 'resigned' because he wanted to live his life before he died.

To some extent at least the King has lived his life before becoming King to an extent. But yes. Taking on the role years past retirement age is not what I would want. People who reduce it to ribbon cutting, hand shaking and waving have no real idea of what being beholden to an entire country, to have every waking minute mapped out must be like.

montysma1 · 19/09/2022 21:28

He doesnt HAVE to do anything. He has un imaginable personal wealth. He could walk away when ever it suits him.There is no gun at his head.
He wants this.
His monstrous ego needs it.

ditalini · 19/09/2022 21:28

If you abdicate because you know the job is shit/not what you want for your life then you're deliberately passing it on to your child/brother/sister.

It's why they hated the Duke of Windsor so much.

I mean, it's hardly being sent down the pits but they all grew up with rich aristos who got all of the privelege without the media intrusion and tedious public service so I expect they're hardly jumping for joy to move up the line.

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 21:28

Think of the massive backlash Harry’s had, by stepping down as a senior royal.
Harry stepped down as a working royal (not a senior royal) and the backlash was because he wanted to keep all his titles and the royal income and not work for it. You can’t leave the train and keep the gravy….

If a monarch were to abdicate now is would basically be bringing about an end to the monarchy.
I don’t think so, William would be happy to step up I think. Elizabeth IIs uncle abdicated and her father stepped up.

Moveonswiftlyplease · 19/09/2022 21:28

🤢🤮

Roomytrouser · 19/09/2022 21:29

A sense of purpose is a wonderful thing. As long as he doesn’t start thinking “what on earth am I doing” then he’ll be just fine.

meateatingveggie · 19/09/2022 21:29

This thread is truly vile. Such a total lack of compassion.

Kanaloa · 19/09/2022 21:31

Honestly of all the people to feel sorry for I’ll save my tears for the incredibly privileged doing their extremely cushy jobs. If the hardest job of your life is going publicity ops and visiting places then you’ve got a really easy life.

You do know some people work from being a teenager just to put food in their mouths? And will live poor until they die, despite doing incredibly vital jobs like cleaning, supermarket work, caring for children and the elderly and disabled. People who our world literally stop without. People who matter. And who will not for a day in their life experience a fraction of the luxury the man you’re sorry for is accustomed to. Do you think he’s sorry for us? Do you think they sit dripping in gold living in PALACES and think ‘I am so so sorry for those people living in the high rises of London trying to feed their families. I am SO SORRY for those single mums trying to work and put clothes on their kids backs.’ They couldn’t care less about you, so save your sympathy.

Roomytrouser · 19/09/2022 21:31

The ceremonies today had elements of “farewell old monarch, hello new monarch” - if they don’t want it, they can play pass the sovereign until they find one of the family who does.

MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:31

Also, I believe money only brings happiness when:

1-You can see a material change in your circumstances. i.e. you increase in wealth and get to enjoy things you once only dreamed of (be that more food for some people, or more foreign holidays for others)
Or
2 - It brings you freedom to do / be what you want with your life.

In the case of the royals their privilege probably doesn’t bring them happiness because they’ve never known any different, and it doesn’t bring them freedom.

I would love to be able to travel and eat and buy nice clothes etc , but I really and truly do not envy the royal family.

OP posts:
Discovereads · 19/09/2022 21:31

Anyway. Charles III is our first green king :).
Hes always been passionate about the environment.

Harridan1981 · 19/09/2022 21:33

To be fair, he’s had 73 years without it and has worked less than most men his age.

Foldingchair · 19/09/2022 21:35

He doesn't have to do it. He could make this the time to end the monarchy and go and retire.

Except he won't, because he's been waiting for this for years.

Raddix · 19/09/2022 21:35

NCforthis864 · 19/09/2022 21:16

I sometimes wonder how Kate feels knowing George has to serve that life, never being free enough able to do what he might want - be a lawyer, train driver, gardener, whatever. I would find it hard knowing my child had no choice.

I would love to give my child that life of privilege! The best schools. The best medical care. Access to sports and music and theatre. Huge country houses. Being driven around in posh cars. Being completely safe at all times. Never having to get a taxi home, or catch a bus or train. Rubbing shoulders with celebs. Buying anything they want. Dripping with gold and jewels. Never experiencing rudeness or poor service. Never competing for anything, ever, because it’s all handed on a plate. It’s hardly a sacrifice.

mondaytosunday · 19/09/2022 21:36

He's wanted this job forever. He will be an excellent king, taking his queue from his mother. @EfficientDynamics you are totally ignorant of what the job entails.

MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:37

meateatingveggie · 19/09/2022 21:29

This thread is truly vile. Such a total lack of compassion.

Who? Me?

OP posts:
Whatsthepointofmosquitos · 19/09/2022 21:37

I felt so, so sorry for him. He looked like he just needed to be in private for a while so he could cry about his dead mum. Imagine not having the freedom to cry at your mum’s funeral and having cameras in your face for hours. I felt uncomfortable and exploitative watching it.

To those saying “he can abdicate” that would just pass a crappy job on to William, who’s got a very young family. Charles knows what it’s like to grow up the child of a monarch, and has been frank in the past about his difficulties with it. He won’t force his son or grandson into that role until he absolutely has to. So he can’t abdicate can he.

Yes, they’re rich, but I bet they’d give anything to have been born non-royal.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

BitterTits · 19/09/2022 21:38

I unexpectedly feel sad about the queen's death, but for the rest of them they know the age of deference is gone. If they want to maintain the status and privilege of the royal family that feels like a choice at this point. I agree that if he didn't want to be king be could abdicate.

I highly doubt Charles will enjoy the near-universal high regard for the queen because he seems to lack her warmth (whether that's genuine or perceived). He might as well scale the role down now, and I expect he will.

Whatsthepointofmosquitos · 19/09/2022 21:39

Raddix · 19/09/2022 21:35

I would love to give my child that life of privilege! The best schools. The best medical care. Access to sports and music and theatre. Huge country houses. Being driven around in posh cars. Being completely safe at all times. Never having to get a taxi home, or catch a bus or train. Rubbing shoulders with celebs. Buying anything they want. Dripping with gold and jewels. Never experiencing rudeness or poor service. Never competing for anything, ever, because it’s all handed on a plate. It’s hardly a sacrifice.

Hundreds of thousands of children in the UK have the life you describe. You don’t have to be monarch to give your children top education health home safety etc.

SemperIdem · 19/09/2022 21:40

@BranstonTickle

I wouldn’t, not even for a day.

People in normal walks of life do things because of familial expectation, that they don’t want to do, resent, make them uncomfortable.

Abdicating was not received well when Edward VIII did, changed the course of another family’s lives (though I think it was the 60 untipped Woodbines a day George VI smoked that killed him young, rather than being king), I really don’t think Charles would abdicate and land the responsibility on his son and grandson sooner than necessary (in their minds, of course the monarchy isn’t necessary).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.