My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Imagine getting the hardest job of your life aged 73 and having to do it till you die.

358 replies

MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:11

Just watching the ‘highlights’ of the day (if you can call it that).
I’m not a monarchist. But I really feel for Charles. He looked much older than I’ve seen him look before, so sad (naturally) and utterly exhausted.

Most people are retired aged 73. Imagine being that age and only just getting started on your hardest job. And not being able to decline the role (without massive fallout) and having to do it till you die.

And think about what motivates the rest of us in our jobs: the prospect of increased reward, status, respect, and finally more downtime as we reach retirement to enjoy the fruits of our labour.
Obviously he has all the wealth, status etc already … but then where can any motivation come from? He just doesn’t have a choice - it’s duty. Talk about a gilded cage.

I felt quite emotional watching Charles, William and George in the wake of the coffin. Knowing that it will come to them one day. Knowing their destiny is already set, whether they like it or not. What a life, to be royal.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

755 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
justasking111 · 19/09/2022 22:16

Camilla worst nightmare comes to pass. Up till now she's been able to escape to her own home, relax enjoy the grandchildren. She's looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights at times.

No I'm not envious of any of it

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:16

Downwithnonsense · 19/09/2022 22:15

Boo fucking hoo

Dry your eyes. He doesn’t care what you think.

miserablecat · 19/09/2022 22:17

AppleCreamSlice · 19/09/2022 22:08

Can the King not do that too? 😅

They weren't wearing pjs at the Windsor service that was televised....I guess they might have done at the private service at 7pm....?

Comedycook · 19/09/2022 22:17

I struggle to believe they care...maybe they do but I always get the feeling that they couldn't give a flying fuck. Who knows...I could be wrong.

Stripedbag101 · 19/09/2022 22:17

EfficientDynamics · 19/09/2022 21:14

Cutting ribbons and shaking people's hands is'nt that hard tbh

In your seventies having to make speeches and sit through countless ceremonies and travel all over the world to make small talk with foreign dignitaries and have a weekly meeting with the prime minister.

I am not a fan of the royal family but the queen worked very very hard. I wouldn’t want to do it

whatsthestory123 · 19/09/2022 22:17

TheLightSideOfTheMoon · 19/09/2022 21:16

If Nostradamus is correct he’ll abdicate next year.

Then he’ll have a nice, cosy retirement.

Unless he abdicates due to health reasons.

oh what ddoesit say?

Kanaloa · 19/09/2022 22:17

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:13

No, you’re doing more than saying you have no sympathy, you are claiming he and his entire family don’t care about any of the poor or struggling common folk in the U.K. This is classism. And you do hate him. Your words drip with contempt.

They don’t care. And I don’t hate him. The contempt dripping off me is my reaction to your silly notion that he and his family do care about the ‘poor and struggling common folk in the UK.’ They don’t care. It’s unfortunate - but it’s true. If you sit in one of your multiple palaces while people struggle to heat their homes you don’t care. And I do feel, maybe not contempt, but certainly bemusement, at people who waste their sympathy on those who don’t care less about them and live their whole lives doing nothing of use. I think those people are wasting their sympathy and are a bit daft.

You sound silly trying to twist things round to fit your ‘they DO care, they’re here for US’ narrative. They don’t care. You don’t need to waste your sympathy on him, because he wouldn’t waste his on you.

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:18

miserablecat · 19/09/2022 22:17

They weren't wearing pjs at the Windsor service that was televised....I guess they might have done at the private service at 7pm....?

Why would they wear PJs to their mother/grandmother’s funeral?

Comedycook · 19/09/2022 22:19

justasking111 · 19/09/2022 22:16

Camilla worst nightmare comes to pass. Up till now she's been able to escape to her own home, relax enjoy the grandchildren. She's looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights at times.

No I'm not envious of any of it

I agree, she does look like a rabbit caught in the headlights. I said the same thing the other day actually. Imagine going from a bit on the side to queen consort 😂

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:19

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:15

Are you claiming that he does care?

If he did, he couldn’t do anything about it so again, what the point of having all of that symbolism but it has no bearing? It’s a very expensive bauble.

What are you on about? “Do nothing” true when it comes to Parliament and getting the government to do its job. We have a an elected government and despite all that, they are shitting all over us and lining their own pockets.

But “do nothing” when it comes to the non-profit sector…that is bollocks. He’s the president of over a dozen charities. These are working roles, not honorary show up cut a ribbon role.

If you even read about King Charles III life and what he’s done to date, his actions show that he cares.

BruceHellerAlmighty · 19/09/2022 22:20

Imagine never having a job until you're 73 though, lol. No wonder he can't cope with tricksy pens.

Crikeyalmighty · 19/09/2022 22:20

I appreciate people would like the general stresses of life removed by being royal- totally understandable but I'm not sure I or many like me would like a life totally lived under scrutiny and the media lens and social media - every hair out of place, every look at your partner, every 7lbs gained , in fact absolutely every move you make .

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:21

Stripedbag101 · 19/09/2022 22:17

In your seventies having to make speeches and sit through countless ceremonies and travel all over the world to make small talk with foreign dignitaries and have a weekly meeting with the prime minister.

I am not a fan of the royal family but the queen worked very very hard. I wouldn’t want to do it

They don’t have to do all of that. Seriously they’re not flying economy and can pick and choose their travels. The queen scaled back as she got older and others stepped in.

Of course there’s the image that it’s hard but I doubt it’s like say being a junior doctor in A&E on a Friday night or teaching a load of 13 year olds French in an inner city school for tuppence.

Florenz · 19/09/2022 22:21

I wouldn't do it for any amount of money.

catfunk · 19/09/2022 22:22

He's hardly Woking in an Amazon warehouse on minimum wage.

MissyCooperismyShero · 19/09/2022 22:23

Seriously there are people out there with intelligence enough to write on this thread who would like this job? People who imagine at age 73 they will have the physical ability to get up and force themselves into a military uniform, frock coat or what ever else is the garb of the day. Then travel for hours reading notes about the cause or the people they are about to visit so they can spring from the car looking informed and personable to chat the same shit to some dull person as they chatted the day before to some other dull person. There are people who want to stand in wellingtons in freezing fields to watch a riding for the disabled show then bumble off in a helicopter to meet some self important D of E award recipients then top it off with a meeting with Liz Truss? And do this more or less every day? For ever? All the while knowing that however well you do it, a load of people hate you and keeping going long after your sell by date so your son doesn't have to do it a day longer than necessary? I can imagine worse things I suppose, but my life is way, way better as a lowly paid NHS worker now retired (at the proper age). At 73 I want to be having lunch out with friends, caring for grandchildren and watching pointless in my joggers with a nice ready meal or fish and chip tea! Its a big No to late night political briefings, wardrobe planning and diary planning at that age from me. And if Liz Truss EVER turns up at my house she will get short shrift, not learned advice.

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:23

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:19

What are you on about? “Do nothing” true when it comes to Parliament and getting the government to do its job. We have a an elected government and despite all that, they are shitting all over us and lining their own pockets.

But “do nothing” when it comes to the non-profit sector…that is bollocks. He’s the president of over a dozen charities. These are working roles, not honorary show up cut a ribbon role.

If you even read about King Charles III life and what he’s done to date, his actions show that he cares.

As King he cannot do any of those things - so that goes back to my point, what is the point of a Monarch? He will be stepping down from all of that.

What is the point of a head of state who takes all the coin and cannot genuinely serve the population? Imagine if we had a government who would do real damage to our country - he would do nothing. He is not a check on their power.

A pointless bauble.

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:23

They don’t care. And I don’t hate him. The contempt dripping off me is my reaction to your silly notion that he and his family do care about the ‘poor and struggling common folk in the UK.’ They don’t care. It’s unfortunate - but it’s true. If you sit in one of your multiple palaces while people struggle to heat their homes you don’t care. And I do feel, maybe not contempt, but certainly bemusement, at people who waste their sympathy on those who don’t care less about them and live their whole lives doing nothing of use. I think those people are wasting their sympathy and are a bit daft.

You sound silly trying to twist things round to fit your ‘they DO care, they’re here for US’ narrative. They don’t care. You don’t need to waste your sympathy on him, because he wouldn’t waste his on you.

You posted this first:
”Do you think he’s sorry for us? Do you think they sit dripping in gold living in PALACES and think ‘I am so so sorry for those people living in the high rises of London trying to feed their families. I am SO SORRY for those single mums trying to work and put clothes on their kids backs.’ They couldn’t care less about you, so save your sympathy.”

I reacted to your hatred and contempt. You were not reacting to any “silly notion” of mine.

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:27

MissyCooperismyShero · 19/09/2022 22:23

Seriously there are people out there with intelligence enough to write on this thread who would like this job? People who imagine at age 73 they will have the physical ability to get up and force themselves into a military uniform, frock coat or what ever else is the garb of the day. Then travel for hours reading notes about the cause or the people they are about to visit so they can spring from the car looking informed and personable to chat the same shit to some dull person as they chatted the day before to some other dull person. There are people who want to stand in wellingtons in freezing fields to watch a riding for the disabled show then bumble off in a helicopter to meet some self important D of E award recipients then top it off with a meeting with Liz Truss? And do this more or less every day? For ever? All the while knowing that however well you do it, a load of people hate you and keeping going long after your sell by date so your son doesn't have to do it a day longer than necessary? I can imagine worse things I suppose, but my life is way, way better as a lowly paid NHS worker now retired (at the proper age). At 73 I want to be having lunch out with friends, caring for grandchildren and watching pointless in my joggers with a nice ready meal or fish and chip tea! Its a big No to late night political briefings, wardrobe planning and diary planning at that age from me. And if Liz Truss EVER turns up at my house she will get short shrift, not learned advice.

He isn’t doing that daily and neither did the queen. Plus he will have an army of servants to make it easy for him.

The whole point is to portray this image that they serve us but when you scratch the surface, it isn’t really servitude.

It is an illusion, and every now and then we are given the pomp and pageantry which makes us feel good so we carry on with it.

However, aside from the Jubilee, weddings and funeral, what major “coming together” do we have? What does the Royal Family do for us?

Nothing.

Kanaloa · 19/09/2022 22:27

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:23

You posted this first:
”Do you think he’s sorry for us? Do you think they sit dripping in gold living in PALACES and think ‘I am so so sorry for those people living in the high rises of London trying to feed their families. I am SO SORRY for those single mums trying to work and put clothes on their kids backs.’ They couldn’t care less about you, so save your sympathy.”

I reacted to your hatred and contempt. You were not reacting to any “silly notion” of mine.

That was my response to the OP and others rushing to post about how sorry they feel for him having to ‘work.’ I don’t feel sorry for him. I think it’s ridiculous to waste your breath feeling sorry for him. And (without a hint of hatred or contempt) I don’t think he’d throw any of us a bread crumb if we were begging in the street. So no, I don’t think it’s reasonable for your heart to ache over the ‘countless hands he has to shake.’ It’s daft, and the more you try to defend it and paint him as some hardworking wonderful caring figure of love, the stupider you look.

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:27

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:23

As King he cannot do any of those things - so that goes back to my point, what is the point of a Monarch? He will be stepping down from all of that.

What is the point of a head of state who takes all the coin and cannot genuinely serve the population? Imagine if we had a government who would do real damage to our country - he would do nothing. He is not a check on their power.

A pointless bauble.

I don’t think he is stepping down, some of them he took over for Queen Elizabeth II as she got older and unable to keep up her usual level of activity.

Also, “takes all the coin”…bit a hyperbole isn’t that?

Comedycook · 19/09/2022 22:27

but my life is way, way better as a lowly paid NHS worker now retired

Bless you...you really have fallen for this nonsense haven't you?!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Believeitornot · 19/09/2022 22:29

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:27

I don’t think he is stepping down, some of them he took over for Queen Elizabeth II as she got older and unable to keep up her usual level of activity.

Also, “takes all the coin”…bit a hyperbole isn’t that?

Take all the coin is an expression. He gets to keep all those riches - but for what?

Iliveonahill · 19/09/2022 22:29

Most MPs, who make the financial decisions don’t care either. Most footballers who earn millions and millions don’t care and most rich celebs don’t care. Mr BP and mr British Gas don’t care either. We are on our own.

Hakunamatata91 · 19/09/2022 22:31

I feel sorry for him. I would hate his life - the complete lack of freedom and constant scrutiny. Much as I would love a more financially comfortable life, you couldn't pay me enough to want that for me or my family. Think its massively oversimplifying to say just abdicate if you don't like it. He's been drilled his whole life that its his duty, and you would feel immense pressure not to let his dead mum down or land his son in it. Yes, lots of people have far worse lives than him. Recognising that doesn't preclude feeling sorry for him, or sympathising with all those who do have it worse than him.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.