My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Imagine getting the hardest job of your life aged 73 and having to do it till you die.

358 replies

MrsMarlowe · 19/09/2022 21:11

Just watching the ‘highlights’ of the day (if you can call it that).
I’m not a monarchist. But I really feel for Charles. He looked much older than I’ve seen him look before, so sad (naturally) and utterly exhausted.

Most people are retired aged 73. Imagine being that age and only just getting started on your hardest job. And not being able to decline the role (without massive fallout) and having to do it till you die.

And think about what motivates the rest of us in our jobs: the prospect of increased reward, status, respect, and finally more downtime as we reach retirement to enjoy the fruits of our labour.
Obviously he has all the wealth, status etc already … but then where can any motivation come from? He just doesn’t have a choice - it’s duty. Talk about a gilded cage.

I felt quite emotional watching Charles, William and George in the wake of the coffin. Knowing that it will come to them one day. Knowing their destiny is already set, whether they like it or not. What a life, to be royal.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

755 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
Daisy03 · 19/09/2022 21:51

People have far greater burdens in life to bear. He has the choice to abdicate but most likely his ego won't let him.
We on the other hand don't have any choice in the monarchy. I'm really hoping in the next few days these threads will be back in the royalty section where they belong.

Bbq1 · 19/09/2022 21:52

Comedycook · 19/09/2022 21:17

Imagine not having to worry about paying any bills

Imagine being able to see a doctor and get the best medical care without having to wait

Imagine having multiple homes with beautiful grounds

Imagine having servants so you don't have to do any housework or chores

I could go on and on...

Imagine having to travel to multiple countries but never in a leisure capacity. Imagine idiots sticking their camera in your face (even when you've just lost your mother), Imagine all the countless hands you have to shake. Imagine never just being able to do your own thing and always having duty to answer to. Imagine never really having privacy. I could go ON.

Kanaloa · 19/09/2022 21:52

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 21:44

They couldn’t care less about you, so save your sympathy.

They do care imho about us. I read somewhere that they raise some £2bn a year collectively for charities to help the most vulnerable and in need. Don’t see Bezos or Branson or Polvsen or any billionaires doing the same.

Wise up 😂 do you really think they stroll the expansive grounds of their palaces in their expensive clothes worrying about the shockingly low wages of childcare practitioners in the UK? Do you think they sit eating their ridiculously expensive food and sipping from their crystal goblets and think how sorry they feel about the worrying lack of support for SEN children in UK schools. They. Don’t. Care. They are the 1% and they like it that way. They don’t care about you or me one bit, so save your sympathy for somebody who deserves it - many people (in Britain alone, not even thinking world wide) live their WHOLE lives in fear, in poverty, struggling to make ends meet, trying and trying and getting nowhere. Don’t waste sympathy on a man who has lived all his live in luxury and now has to suffer through being driven to a few meetings and tasks where he will be treated like the best person in the world.

Luredbyapomegranate · 19/09/2022 21:53

He's been waiting a long time for this..

5128gap · 19/09/2022 21:53

I think if Charles decided to abdicate and pass the throne to William it would be the single most important action he could take to secure the future of the monarchy. No one would hold it against him. He could plead poor health. He's not popular and unless he bucks his ideas up he's bringing little to the table to persuade people they're getting value for money. W&k on the other hand are popular and able to engage people.
The fact he doesn't intend to do what is arguably the most sensible thing indicates he is happy to take on the role.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 19/09/2022 21:53

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 21:31

Anyway. Charles III is our first green king :).
Hes always been passionate about the environment.

I'd like to see this reflected in how he arranges his coronation. He won't serve even half the length his mother did, then he will have a state funeral, then his sons coronation.

I'd love to see genuine consideration given to this for his state events.

Abouttimemum · 19/09/2022 21:54

I agree entirely OP. I really felt for him. He looked like he was just about holding it together when it started. Same with all of them. When my Mum dies I’ll probably not go outside for a very long time.

Those saying he can abdicate. I mean who would do that to their child really? Not a chance I would dump that on my son when he has a young family, and god forbid something happens to him, which is possible, suddenly there’s a child on the throne. Not a chance.

The Queen did a lot more than ‘cutting ribbons and shaking hands’ and so will Charles.

Echobelly · 19/09/2022 21:55

Not a fan of royals, but I have to say that, contrary to what @EfficientDynamics says I think it is not an 'easy job'. This may sound an odd comparison, but my mum was a London borough mayor for a year, and her schedule for that year was insane - multiple engagements day in, day out. And that's just for a local mayor.

A royal has that but for their entire life - they're not sitting on a sofa being fed grapes all day. Obviously there is immense wealth and privilege too, but I actually do think that a lifetime of public engagements is not something I'd wish on anyone, and I wouldn't do it even for the perks that come with royalty.

ClottedCreamAndStrawberries · 19/09/2022 21:55

meateatingveggie · 19/09/2022 21:29

This thread is truly vile. Such a total lack of compassion.

What’s vile about people expressing their opinions? Is it because they don’t match yours?

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 21:56

BeatieBourke · 19/09/2022 21:47

If he doesn't like his new gig he could give up the personal wealth of the family and a few relics, set up a sovereign wealth fund that pays a dividend to UK citizens, lift millions of people out of poverty, change the course of history, revolutionise economics and set an example to the rest of the world.

He won't though.

? The monarchy has already done this. What do you think the Crown Estate is? And why do you think King Charles III just added the Duchy of Lancaster to it?

Normally 85% of all the profits go to the treasury. For fifteen years, it’s 75% because Buckingham Palace is falling down. But anyway, we get on average £250m per year from the Crown Estates, once Buckingham Palace is restored (keep in mind the royal family do not own Buckingham Palace), we will back to getting £280m/yr into the Treasury. It’s not lifting millions out of poverty because Parliament makes all the spending decisions.

The personal wealth of the family is peanuts when you look at the U.K. Rich List. Elizabeth’s entire personal fortune is estimated to be less than £300m total. That won’t “lift millions out of poverty” because for that’s only £150 per person if you give it to 2 million people.

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal · 19/09/2022 21:57

NCforthis864 · 19/09/2022 21:16

I sometimes wonder how Kate feels knowing George has to serve that life, never being free enough able to do what he might want - be a lawyer, train driver, gardener, whatever. I would find it hard knowing my child had no choice.

I was wondering earlier if Kate's mum is ever babysitting, and just looks at George and thinks "bloody hell, my grandson's the future king!!"

CapMarvel · 19/09/2022 21:58

Bbq1 · 19/09/2022 21:52

Imagine having to travel to multiple countries but never in a leisure capacity. Imagine idiots sticking their camera in your face (even when you've just lost your mother), Imagine all the countless hands you have to shake. Imagine never just being able to do your own thing and always having duty to answer to. Imagine never really having privacy. I could go ON.

He has the choice to not do any of that.

Ihatemyroad · 19/09/2022 21:58

I said the same thing today.

In his shoes I would be King for 10 years and then abdicate. By then he will be 83. He will have fulfilled his ‘duty’ and the role he was destined for. William will then become King at 50.

Daisy03 · 19/09/2022 21:58

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 21:44

They couldn’t care less about you, so save your sympathy.

They do care imho about us. I read somewhere that they raise some £2bn a year collectively for charities to help the most vulnerable and in need. Don’t see Bezos or Branson or Polvsen or any billionaires doing the same.

amp.theguardian.com/uk/2010/sep/24/queen-poverty-grant-buckingham-palace

Comedycook · 19/09/2022 21:59

It beggars belief really

Obscene wealth and privilege, unelected, accident of birth.

Yet...the pleb like public don't only merely tolerate this...they actually are grateful and even more hilarious, they actually feel sorry for them.

Nicely played

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 19/09/2022 22:00

Ihatemyroad · 19/09/2022 21:58

I said the same thing today.

In his shoes I would be King for 10 years and then abdicate. By then he will be 83. He will have fulfilled his ‘duty’ and the role he was destined for. William will then become King at 50.

It may also set a reasonable precedent (sp) for abdication due to old age - something I think other European countries do.

Discovereads · 19/09/2022 22:00

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 19/09/2022 21:53

I'd like to see this reflected in how he arranges his coronation. He won't serve even half the length his mother did, then he will have a state funeral, then his sons coronation.

I'd love to see genuine consideration given to this for his state events.

What would you like to see?

Fizbosshoes · 19/09/2022 22:01

Whilst I absolutely don't think being a royal is the hardest job, I think the last 10 days have been pretty brutal for most of the RF. They have had to be "on duty" from hours after HM died. Giving speeches (in Charles case) meeting dignitaries, travelling all over the country, taking part in various vigils and ceremonies, having every gesture scrutinised ....and today having 3 separate "funerals" with over an hour of marching (all while on show) in between.
A "normal" funeral is emotionally exhausting enough without the world's media on you...one where you can smile, cry, hug or hold hands without it being judged.
But yes, in their normal day to day life there are obviously a lot of perks that we can only dream of. I wouldn't change my commoner life to live in a goldfish bowl though. (Not that the opportunity is presenting itself!)

CrabbyCrumble · 19/09/2022 22:01

I also think a lot of 73 years olds would love to have a life where they were treated and lived like an actual King or Queen with servants to cater for their every whim, totally protected from crime and anti social behaviour, attending functions where they were fawned over by people who actually achieved something in life rather than by luck of birth, had world class private doctors, pots of money and personal jets etc.

Rather than living their last years in a poky retirement flat they can’t afford to heat, with meals on wheels if they could afford it on their pittance of a pension, otherwise tinned pilchards or soup that they had to try to open themselves, after doing hard physical work all their lives.

Speedweed · 19/09/2022 22:01

I agree their massive wealth cushions them from many of the stresses and strains normal people have, but I think what must be really hard is having your life mapped out - literally every Remembrance Sunday you'll be at the Cenotaph, and every Christmas you'll be at Sandringham, and every opening of parliament you'll be there etc etc etc, every single year, until you're dead. Bad enough for William who was born into it, but it must be so hard for Kate to have such little spontaneity.

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 19/09/2022 22:03

My heart bleeds, it really does.

Imagine getting the hardest job of your life aged 73 and having to do it till you die.
Fcuk38 · 19/09/2022 22:04

NCforthis864 · 19/09/2022 21:16

I sometimes wonder how Kate feels knowing George has to serve that life, never being free enough able to do what he might want - be a lawyer, train driver, gardener, whatever. I would find it hard knowing my child had no choice.

She knew what she was signing her first born up for well before she married.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

User110922 · 19/09/2022 22:04

Of course, a lot of people have it a lot harder than having to be a monarch/royalty. However, would I want to be Queen or be next in line to the throne? Absolutely not.

Charles' mother has just passed away and he's spent an entire day in front of the eyes of millions having to keep a brave face whilst grieving. I really felt for him having to do that ridiculously long march as well. He's in his 70s!

Seeing young Prince George as well, knowing that one day he will have to step up as he is the first-born of Prince William, makes me a little sad for him.

Sure, they all have more money than we could ever dream of. But behind all that are humans with human emotions. Imagine the pressure on Prince William right now as well, having to be prepared to become King any minute now. King Charles is in his 70s, who knows how long he'll be on the throne for.

embolass · 19/09/2022 22:04

After 30 years nursing and still many more to come I’d definitely take his job, 73 or not. Every whim and need dealt with immediately, heating on day and night, full kitchen cupboards it’s a no brainer of a job.

PleaseGoDontGoAgain · 19/09/2022 22:05

Luredbyapomegranate · 19/09/2022 21:53

He's been waiting a long time for this..

Has he been 'waiting' or has he just always known this would happen. TBH I'm not convinced he has been 'waiting' and has more likely been dreading it but what choice has he got?
He was well aware of how the public viewed him after Diana and hearing people mouthing off that he killed his kids mum and threatening to kill him must have had an impact on how he feels about doing the public bits.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.