Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Son needs a *delicate* operation and I need to lie

392 replies

LittlewhitelieLily136 · 03/09/2022 10:13

When my son was born he had one undescended testicle.

He is going to be 7 in October and it STILL hasn't come down by itself (consultant confirmed it is very stuck!) and with covid and everything his op to get it fixed kept getting pushed back and back. (Understandable but annoying for him too!)

Anyway.

He finally finally has an op date and he'll need time off school for it but, well, we haven't said that he's got an undescended testicle publicly.

1. Because it's no-one elses business
  2. For his privacy because it might be considered embarrassing - no matter how common it is.

Now we haven't said to our friends and family that ds is having an op yet but we will have to as it won't be taking place in our local hospital and for the time off school.

AiBU to lie about the reason for his op to protect his privacy and self esteem? DS is mature enough to know that one lie leads to more - and I agree with him. I feel bad that I need to lie but I do need to lie for him if that makes sense. I can't stand the thought of him being bullied for this. He already gets bullied.

I also don't know what kind of op to replace it with.

Please advise
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1206 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
49%
You are NOT being unreasonable
51%
FionnulaTheCooler · 03/09/2022 10:16

Why do you need to specify an operation? Just tell school he is having minor surgery and needs time off to recover, they don't need to know details.

Hesma · 03/09/2022 10:16

Don’t lie to school but do ask them to keep it private. School have a duty of care and such they need to know to make sure he doesn’t accidentally injure himself after the op. Re friends and family it’s up to you but please don’t make your son feel like he should be ashamed about it.

stormywhethers321 · 03/09/2022 10:17

"He's having an operation. It's nothing dangerous, but it's a private matter and out of respect for him I won't be sharing the specifics."

No lies, and his privacy is protected.

Energypanic · 03/09/2022 10:18

Ask DS if he wants people to know or not. If he doesn't mind then there is no issue really. If he wants to keep it private then say the operation is to fix a small hernia.

HappilyHadesBound · 03/09/2022 10:19

I wouldn't hide what it's about, he particularly needs to know- but if you must then a lot of people call it a hernia op.

GaspingGekko · 03/09/2022 10:20

I'm not sure I would lie as such. But I wouldn't give any information if at all possible. "He needs to have a quick operation" and leave it at that?

In my family / circle of friends that would be sufficient for them to not push for more info. If that's not the case with your family then be ready to just shut down any further questions with simple statements like "I don't want to discuss it" or whatever you think would work.

ChittyChittyBoomBoom · 03/09/2022 10:21

School will keep the information on a strictly need to know basis so please don’t worry about that.

LittlewhitelieLily136 · 03/09/2022 10:22

I feel like saying that (and it's totally reasonable) makes people WANT to query and ask more questions. Human nature and all that. Not everyone in my family respects boundaries (theyre all nosey parkers 🙄) which is basically why i am asking.

OP posts:
neverbeenskiing · 03/09/2022 10:22

I wouldn't want to send a message to my 7 year old that genitals are so shameful and embarrassing we have to come up with lies to avoid mentioning them.

MrsRobinsonsHandprints · 03/09/2022 10:22

HappilyHadesBound · 03/09/2022 10:19

I wouldn't hide what it's about, he particularly needs to know- but if you must then a lot of people call it a hernia op.

I think the op would struggle keeping it from her son!

I would say hernia as well because people are nosey and will push for or make up extreme reasons if you say private matter.

LampLighter414 · 03/09/2022 10:22

Presumably family know about the issue? Or you haven’t told them for 7 years? Bit weird if so…. If they do know then they’ll be happy about the operation to get it solved! Ditto any friends who may happen to already know of the problem - if they don’t, they don’t need to know, I’d just not mention it.

School - keep it vague. If they do need to know maybe you can evidence appointment letter - take a photo on phone and edit using pen tool to scribble out sensitive bits.

Iamnotthe1 · 03/09/2022 10:23

You should tell the school the truth so that they are aware and mindful of the recovery and potential future issues such as injuries during playtime and P.E. etc. They won't share it wider with staff but the key people who need to know will be informed.

However, if he doesn't feel comfortable sharing that information with his friends then it's entirely up to him what he wants to say to them. I have to say, I've had several boys in my classes have similar operations over the years and there's never been any bullying come from those who chose to be public about it but, equally, there are some who just kept it private and that worked out fine too.

Mybackstory · 03/09/2022 10:23

ChittyChittyBoomBoom · 03/09/2022 10:21

School will keep the information on a strictly need to know basis so please don’t worry about that.

They should, but I wouldn’t bank on it

MrsRobinsonsHandprints · 03/09/2022 10:23

neverbeen difference between shame and privacy.

KindergartenKop · 03/09/2022 10:23

Just say he's having an orchidectomy or whatever the medical word is. Teacher won't have time to Google it.

ZeroFuchsGiven · 03/09/2022 10:23

I wouldn't lie, that will just cement the fact to your son that it is something to be embarrassed about and will make him feel worse.

Hellhath · 03/09/2022 10:24

A small hernia repair

MrsLargeEmbodied · 03/09/2022 10:24

KindergartenKop · 03/09/2022 10:23

Just say he's having an orchidectomy or whatever the medical word is. Teacher won't have time to Google it.

agree with this

MrsRobinsonsHandprints · 03/09/2022 10:24

Presumably family know about the issue? Or you haven’t told them for 7 years? Bit weird if so….

Weirder if op son's genitals are topic of conversation.

LittlewhitelieLily136 · 03/09/2022 10:25

Omg i wouldnt ever lie to my son. Dont assume!

Hes had a consultant for years and has to go through checks and what not with him.

He knows what is happening.

Its every other person getting involved and ASSUMING like you just did thats the problem!

OP posts:
EnidSpyton · 03/09/2022 10:25

Firstly, there is nothing embarrassing about needing an operation on an undescended testicle. You responding to this operation as if it were an embarrassing secret is teaching your son that his sexual organs are something to be ashamed of and embarrassed about.

Secondly, you’re referring to telling the school, family and friends - all adults - about what he’s having done. Why would any adult bully a child for having an undescended testicle? I really think you’re projecting your own thoughts and feelings about this being embarrassing onto others.

Ultimately your child’s medical treatment is a private issue and you don’t need to tell anyone anything specific about it if you don’t want to - just telling them he’s having a minor routine op is sufficient - but you really do need to address why you think this is so embarrassing as you’re teaching your child to be ashamed of his body.

raindon · 03/09/2022 10:25

stormywhethers321 · 03/09/2022 10:17

"He's having an operation. It's nothing dangerous, but it's a private matter and out of respect for him I won't be sharing the specifics."

No lies, and his privacy is protected.

Yup

mattressspring · 03/09/2022 10:25

Presumably family know about the issue? Or you haven’t told them for 7 years? Bit weird if so….

You think it's weird not to discuss your child's genitals with your family?

I would say that's completely normal.

LittlewhitelieLily136 · 03/09/2022 10:26

He knows hes having an op on his testicles. He knows why. We dont bring it up every day. He knows that its a private matter because its his privates.

OP posts:
Mybackstory · 03/09/2022 10:27

Someone being an adult doesn’t mean they won’t let it leak, discuss in front of other kids or similar.

I’d hold back.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.