Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To get married with COVID

Moongazing · 14/07/2022 21:34

I am having a major meltdown. I have tested positive for COVID today as part of workplace testing, I don't have a single symptom.

I am getting married on Saturday and having a large wedding with 80 day guests and an additional 100 at night. We have spent around 16k on the wedding and I have contacted my insurance provider and they are telling me I am not covered as current guidance would allow me to go ahead. The venue have also said it is too late to cancel as they have ordered all the food and drinks etc

We have saved for years and years to have our wedding the way we want it, I really don't know what to do, if I cancel I will lose so much money and won't be able to have our dream wedding ever

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Immaterialatthispoint · 14/07/2022 21:35

I’d go. Enjoy your day.

Please
or

Gingermoth · 14/07/2022 21:38

I think its only fair to let your guests know so they can make a decision as to whether they go or not. I've very recently had covid and was very very poorly. After a month I'm still not recovered.

Please
or

123ROLO · 14/07/2022 21:38

In this scenario I'd go.

I would anti bac a lot and encourage others to do so and avoid vulnerable people where possible

Please
or

Sillystripytail · 14/07/2022 21:39

100% go ahead! Just let people know so they can decide whether to still attend. I'm sure most people still will. I know I would!

Please
or

JemimaPuddleducksWaddle · 14/07/2022 21:39

You need to let every single guest know and the venue. They can make the choice whether to attend or not.

My family personally wouldn't and neither would a lot of my friends.

Please
or

parenthood1989 · 14/07/2022 21:40

I think you can go, if you are able to warn guests in advance (it wouldn't put me off, but my dad is vulnerable so he wouldn't want to go) and don't hug anyone apart from your husband.

Please
or

ComDummings · 14/07/2022 21:40

I agree to go ahead but let your guests know so they can decide whether to come or not.

Please
or

dudsville · 14/07/2022 21:40

What awful timing! I hope you still feel well for the wedding. Could you maybe let guests know so they can decide for themselves to socially distance themselves or not? Maybe that's silly i just don't have a clue but they might have vulnerable ones they look after. Tbh though any event runs the risk, and so long as they know they can decide for themselves how to manage it

Please
or

Bananarama21 · 14/07/2022 21:41

Tell your guests let them make a decision

Please
or

DSGR · 14/07/2022 21:42

One in 20 people have Covid, it’s everywhere. I absolutely would go ahead with the wedding. You might even be negative by Saturday! Could have had it a week already

Please
or

pinksquash13 · 14/07/2022 21:42

Just go ahead and don't even worry about it. I wouldn't tell people as I wouldn't want mass hysteria / swathes of drop outs. The bonus of it being your wedding is presumably you know if anyone is particularly vulnerable. I would tell someone going through cancer treatment for example. People are aware that going to a wedding at the moment will likely expose them to covid as numbers are quite high. Plus you would never have known had it not been through work. Most people aren't testing.

Please
or

Jenasaurus · 14/07/2022 21:45

My DS is getting married next week in Ireland, his side of the family are all flying out from the UK to the venue on Thursday and last week I was diagnosed with serious health issues, diabetes, liver damage and high cholesterol. I know this puts me at the at risk group and it went through my head what if someone got COVID and still attended the wedding (there will be over 100 guests), I cant not go to my sons wedding but it would worry me. So I think you should let the guests know so they can avoid you as much as possible, wear a mask or not attend if vulnerable.

Please
or

JanglyBeads · 14/07/2022 21:47

Anti baccing does nothing. Wearing masks and ensuring ventilation, helps.

How do you feel? Do you have guests who are clinically vulnerable and or over 70?

Please
or

tiarax · 14/07/2022 21:47

You need to let every single guest know and let them make the decision. Whilst some people are not vulnerable themselves they may care for vulnerable people and it would not be a risk that they are willing to take <3

Please
or

PizzaPatel · 14/07/2022 21:47

If someone told me that they had covid I’d still go to their wedding.

I think it’s totally reasonable to go ahead. If you do tell people, tell them to let you know if they’re coming or not because it won’t be too much to ask the venue to make sure they set up for the number that are coming - you don’t want empty seats at the ceremony etc.

if it makes you feel better, retest on Saturday - you might have no line/a faint line and you’ll feel a bit more relaxed.

Please
or

Bilboard · 14/07/2022 21:47

I would go ahead, warn everyone and take precautions.
Terrible timing OP, so sorry, hope you get on ok.
As above try not to hug people, get lots of sanitizers about and encourage people to use them.
Has the venue got an outdoor area where you all can be?

Please
or

JemimaPuddleducksWaddle · 14/07/2022 21:48

The bonus of it being your wedding is presumably you know if anyone is particularly vulnerable.

Not true. Those that are vunerable don't walk around with a sign.

Also if you look at the covid threads, those that are fit and healthy are being knocked for six.

It is really extremely irresponsible to go around hugging and kissing people when you knowingly have covid.

Please
or

Ontomatopea · 14/07/2022 21:49

Go ahead but tell every single guest by phone and make it clear they have a choice and will not be judged for their choice. Maybe wear a mask.

Same for any make up artist etc

Please
or

Linnetbirds · 14/07/2022 21:50

As most PPs have sensibly advised, go ahead but you absolutely need to tell your guests (long covid sufferer here - 30s and otherwise healthy). If you can speak to the venue about extra ventilation etc, so much the better.

Please
or

Linnetbirds · 14/07/2022 21:52

It is really extremely irresponsible to go around hugging and kissing people when you knowingly have covid.

100% this. 200k deaths and countless long covid sufferers later, it really is staggering that this still needs spelling out (not aimed at you OP, but the selfish twats people who advocate keeping quiet about your positive status)

Please
or

Ontomatopea · 14/07/2022 21:53

Maybe ask the venue if they need you to provide ppe for the staff. Oh and call the celebrant or whoever it is too.

Please
or

MajorCarolDanvers · 14/07/2022 21:53

Have a great day.

Please
or

ItsSnowJokes · 14/07/2022 21:54

Please let you guests know! They could have health conditions you don't know about or like us have a holiday booked that requires testing and I would be majorly pissed off if a bride did this to us without telling us. As long as you are happy that people may drop out because of it I think you can go ahead as long as you have pre warned them all. Also the registrar may not want to do wedding as that could then impact on other weddings they go on to do.

Please
or

mirrorballer · 14/07/2022 21:56

Personally I wouldn't go ahead but I'm realise I'm in the minority. It's a horrible situation for too.
You should definitely tell people now though and give them the choice to drop out.

You could test Saturday morning then give everyone the final option to go or not.

You need to be understanding if people don't come.

You also need to let any hair stylists, make up artists etc If they're self employed you could knock out a week of income by passing it on.

Please
or

QueSyrahSyrah · 14/07/2022 21:56

I'm going to a wedding next week, if they told me the Bride or Groom had covid but were still going ahead, I'd go. Others might not. That's their call.

Chances are in 180 people there'll be more people with covid who are asymptomatic and not undergoing workplace / regular testing.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?