Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Partner asked me how much money I have

DPsavings · 25/01/2022 21:40

Should I be honest?

DP and I have been together nearly 18 months and tonight we talked about finances and how we are for credit/savings

I have no debt except a 30% mortgage on my house and about 80k in savings (which would pay off the mortgage should I wish to).
I have a decent defined benefit pension.

Don’t know why but I just feel a bit sketchy about sharing this. AIBU?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

BarrowInFurnessRailwayStation · 25/01/2022 21:43

Don't tell them you have £80K and make sure it's protected should you get married.

Please
or

thefourgp · 25/01/2022 21:43

Don’t share it at the moment if you don’t feel comfortable to do so. If you decide to live together/get married then it’s only fair to be completely open and honest about your finances then as it’ll have a direct impact on your partner.

Please
or

userxx · 25/01/2022 21:44

Nope, it's not his business. My oh has no idea what I've got and I'm keeping it that way.

Please
or

merrygoround23 · 25/01/2022 21:46

I wouldn't tell him about the 80k

Please
or

Inthesameboatatmo · 25/01/2022 21:46

Don't tell him you have that amount in savings. I wouldn't tell him much I don't think.
Unless you are starting to save for a joint mortgage or get married he really is on a need to know basis only. Even then I wouldn't tell the truth I don't think.

Please
or

TheFishWillSeeYouNow · 25/01/2022 21:47

If you do not feel comfortable sharing it yet, that's ok. DP and I shared this sort of thing after just a few months but neither of us had much assets so it didn't seem like a huge deal!

Please
or

Sexnotgender · 25/01/2022 21:47

I wouldn’t tell him. Why does he want to know?

Please
or

Pegasussnail · 25/01/2022 21:47

We only discussed it once we had decided to get married and only used it once we bought our forever home (dh had more in savings but had lived in my house up until then so it was fair)

Please
or

Brideandprejudice · 25/01/2022 21:49

How did you answer the question and what was his reason for asking?
Is he in debt or could he be hiding any?

Please
or

MintJulia · 25/01/2022 21:50

Trust your instincts. Your partner does not need to know and it really is none of his business. If you are planning to live together, all he needs to know is that you are not in piles of debt and there is nothing in your credit history that would make renting a flat together difficult.

Please
or

TracyMosby · 25/01/2022 21:50

Has he volunteered that information about himself?

Please
or

Jarstastic · 25/01/2022 21:50

You don’t need to share it. But sounds like he’s at boyfriend stage not DP stage.

Please
or

coodawoodashooda · 25/01/2022 21:51

Omg do not tell him. Please don't tell him!

Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 25/01/2022 21:52

That's none of his business.

Please
or

ANameChangeAgain · 25/01/2022 21:52

Savings are personal and don't need to be disclosed. If you get married they should be ring fenced, as should your home equity. You are entitled to know what each other earns and owes if you are talking about moving in together and / or marriage.

Please
or

Aprilx · 25/01/2022 21:53

Why are they asking?

Please
or

HollowTalk · 25/01/2022 21:53

Don't say a word. He is living in your house then? How do you split finances at the moment?

Please
or

Cosmos123 · 25/01/2022 21:53

If you felt comfortable you wouldn't have posted.

Therefore follow your gut.

Why does want to know for anyway?

Keep quiet about your savings that have no business for him.

If he wants to buy a place with you then he puts in the same amount. Simple

If he wants to know so u can help pay his debts or help with a new business idea. Run.

Please
or

Jedsnewstar · 25/01/2022 21:54

Don't tell them you have £80K and make sure it's protected should you get married

The only way to truly protect it is to not get married. The whole point of marriage is to join together as one and share finances. If you don’t want to do this don’t marry.

Please
or

UrsulaBursula · 25/01/2022 21:54

Don’t tell him anything

Keep finances separate until you get married at least - and even then; I suggest treading lightly.

Please
or

nalabae · 25/01/2022 21:55

DO NOT TELL HIM NOTHING

no matter how much you feel in love and he will never fuck you over, i been in court today over a dodgy business deal my ex of 3 years set up and i found out from the third party he, my ex conned me out of 10k.

do not trust any man with your finances, men aren't like they were in the 1940s, not saying all men are bad but someones WORD means NOTHING these days

Please
or

Santahasjoinedww · 25/01/2022 21:55

My dh has no idea I have savings...

Please
or

UrsulaBursula · 25/01/2022 21:56

@nalabae

DO NOT TELL HIM NOTHING

no matter how much you feel in love and he will never fuck you over, i been in court today over a dodgy business deal my ex of 3 years set up and i found out from the third party he, my ex conned me out of 10k.

do not trust any man with your finances, men aren't like they were in the 1940s, not saying all men are bad but someones WORD means NOTHING these days

THIS with bells on!!
Please
or

nalabae · 25/01/2022 21:57

please op listen to everyone on here, dont make this mistake i would not wish what happened to me on my worse enemy

Please
or

CurlsandCurves · 25/01/2022 21:57

Don’t tell him if you don’t feel comfortable. It’s early days yet.

Sounds like a fairly general conversation you’re having so far, is there any reason for it? Or just a sussing each other out type thing, seeing where you both stand, if you’re both on the same page?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.