Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Husband spied on me through Blink camera

itsgrogubitch · 12/08/2021 10:37

I'm not really sure what to do. I've name changed because I know some people on here. Husband is working from home and I'm a SAHM to our 5 and 2 year olds. Things have been a bit tense recently, maybe because it's summer holidays and we're all under the same roof a lot, I'm not sure.

Anyway, today I asked him to sit with the kids for 20 minutes while I grabbed a shower and got dressed. I suggested he maybe caught up with some work emails so he doesn't feel like he's wasting time, as he moans usually and then tacks the time onto the end of his work day. Off I go to shower, go upstairs to dry off etc and get dressed. We have a pet tortoise who lives in a tortoise table. I bought a Blink camera so I could see if she was ok while we were out (I'm a bit of a nervous first time pet owner). While I was moisturising, naked obvs (I wasn't taking ages over it, and I have really dry skin, I can't skip it!) I noticed the blue light on camera was which I know means the live view has been activated by the app because of when I set it up. I just froze for a moment and then took 2 massive steps out of shot. I'm absolutely mortified. I calmly got dressed and asked him to delete the Blink app. He acted all innocent and then when I asked why he spied on me, he said he was just checking what I was up to.

The camera used to just show the tortoise table and a tiny bit of the bed, I was getting ready on the other of the bed so it must have been adjusted to cover that area, it's a manual adjust one. I just don't know what to think. Who spies on their own wife? AIBU to be feeling really angry and violated?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SofaSpuds · 12/08/2021 10:40

Did he move the camera so it was pointing at the whole bed? Very unsettling and I would not be happy!

Please
or

HollowTalk · 12/08/2021 10:41

At what point must he have changed the position of the camera?

Please
or

Aquamarine1029 · 12/08/2021 10:42

I would be fucking livid. Your husband is a creep. I think that might be it for me, my trust in him would be shattered.

Please
or

itsgrogubitch · 12/08/2021 10:44

@HollowTalk I'm not sure, I've not been checking the camera regularly because we've had our tortoise a few months now and I'm gaining confidence enough to not need to

OP's posts:
Please
or

Waspsarearseholes · 12/08/2021 10:44

I would hit the fucking roof. That is really unacceptable and shows a creepy level of pre-planning. Can the footage be saved or is it live-feed only?

Please
or

TheAverageUser · 12/08/2021 10:47

That's such a creepy breach of trust, I'm not even sure how I'd feel. Also if it's adjusted presumably he's done it before and so it's an ongoing thing. Does it record or just live stream?

Please
or

Row1n · 12/08/2021 10:47

This is a massive breach of trust and creepy to boot. I would have to seriously think about whether I could trust him fully again or would I always feel the need to check for cameras everywhere.

Please
or

BishBashBoshBush · 12/08/2021 10:47

Don't get him to delete the app, get him to hand over the phone- maybe you can see if he's done this before?

Please
or

CastleCrasher · 12/08/2021 10:48

I'd be furious. I'd also be inclined to think that this is not the first time he's viewed/recorded you, especially as it seems that he didn't know in advance they you'd ask him, so he must have moved the camera another day...

Please
or

Mamette · 12/08/2021 10:48

I was also going to ask if it records.

Please
or

BettyBakesBuns · 12/08/2021 10:53

It's voyeurism, a depressingly common male paraphilia. It's disgusting, dehumanising and completely disrespectful. It's also a crime.

Husband spied on me through Blink camera
Please
or

HumdrumGuga · 12/08/2021 10:54

Yuck. What an absolute prick.

Please
or

DorasSisterDrostitute · 12/08/2021 10:56

You have a pet tortoise in your bedroom?

Please
or

Rooroobear · 12/08/2021 10:57

So if he’s moved the position of the camera has it been on when you’ve been having sex? That would really freak me out x

Please
or

notanothertakeaway · 12/08/2021 10:57

No decent man spies on their wife. That's disgusting

Personally, I don't like it when my friends' partners can track their phones so they can see where they are, but if my friends don't mind and it's all out in the open, that's up to them. What you're describing is quite different. And I agree with a PP, this wont be the first time he's done it

Please
or

Tlollj · 12/08/2021 11:01

Your tortoise is in your bedroom and you have a camera on it?!
Anyway I digress can it record? And has he been recording you for ages and you’ve only just realised?
Thirdly just tell him you’re going in the shower why does it have to be a big deal for him to watch the kids for ten mins?

Please
or

Rannva · 12/08/2021 11:02

Yikes. Yeah, that's that over with. Dude's a creep. What he did is illegal.

You need to also consider that he's been saving footage and uploading it to other creeps who get off on this sort of "ha look at my wife who doesn't know what I'm recording" stuff.

Honestly? I'd be considering the police. They can examine his computer for evidence he's been recording and uploading, and even if they don't find anything, they can still caution him for basically committing a sex crime against his own partner.

Given that you now know he's a perv, he can't be around the kids anymore either, so the police could also advise in that regard.

Please
or

Rannva · 12/08/2021 11:02

@Tlollj

Your tortoise is in your bedroom and you have a camera on it?!
Anyway I digress can it record? And has he been recording you for ages and you’ve only just realised?
Thirdly just tell him you’re going in the shower why does it have to be a big deal for him to watch the kids for ten mins?

Not uncommon for turtle owners. They like warm rooms and have an open-top table, they meander about. Cameras for keeping an eye on them.

Weird thing to focus on.
Please
or

itsgrogubitch · 12/08/2021 11:06

We have our tortoise in our room because it's the warmest room in the house and we had a really good space for her table, which is quite big. The camera was only for while she was a baby and she kept getting stuck on her back. Her table doesn't smell or anything, she's not right next to the bed and she doesn't make any noise. It's quite nice to have her in there.

As far as I'm aware, I think you can record footage. Ive never used the facility. He's gone hiding upstairs while I panic in front of Bing with the kids so I can't check his phone right now. I feel like a point of ridicule or a zoo animal or something. Confused

OP's posts:
Please
or

Rannva · 12/08/2021 11:09

Maybe he'll crack and confess all, hoping you'll forgive him for honesty.

If he's panicking, he's got something to hide. He'd have been smarter to boldly declare "yes, I turned it on, I am sorry. It was a dick move." Instead he's probably off erasing his history. Panicking is not a good sign.

Please
or

itsgrogubitch · 12/08/2021 11:12

@Tlollj I feel better when he watches them so they're not climbing up into the window or jumping off the sofas. I'm a bit of a worrier

OP's posts:
Please
or

Newbie8365 · 12/08/2021 11:12

Is he hiding upstairs and deleting videos from his phone?

Please
or

lastcall · 12/08/2021 11:13

I'd tell him straight out that his behaviour is creepy and wrong and you are having a long think about where your marriage goes from here. What does he have to say for himself? Then say nothing and wait for him to speak.

Please
or

CarolinaWeeper · 12/08/2021 11:13

Honestly this is really concerning. A PP is right, he didn't know in advance you were going to ask him to watch the kids so when did he move it. You need to ask for his phone and computer and go through them with a fine tooth comb. His reaction to you asking that will be very telling.

Please
or

FuckinGoddess · 12/08/2021 11:14

GO UPSTAIRS AND TAKE HIS PHONE NOW.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.