Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

He vlogged our date!

AlsoAlan · 08/04/2019 14:06

Hi will try not to make it an essay! NC for this.

So my friend set me up with a guy she knows from her hobby group, chatted a bit online etc and he seemed nice enough so agreed to meet up with him last night. He had previously spoken a lot about how he is really into social media which I'm not really into - we spoke on WhatsaApp but he keeps asking for my Snapchat, Insta etc, he is very into YouTube and kept asking me to subscribe to his channel and watch his top vid which is a Yes Lads reaction video which has around 7000 likes.

So I arrive last night and he is literally filming as I walk in and asks if I'm excited to meet him, how I'm feeling etc. I kind of laugh it off but then am getting increasingly annoyed as he keeps asking for us to take a selfie, messing around that weird dog ear filter thing and the whole time I am trying to chat to him his phone keeps relentlessly pinging. He also wanted to play this weird "20 questions about you" game but said he wouldn't put it online if I dont want it.

So I get home and within literally 5 minutes of him dropping me off he texts me to say "the video" is up on his profile and can I please like and share it??? I go to his profile and he has actually put together a 20 minute video of our date!! You can't really see my face but you can hear me, he says my name several times and my car reg plate is clearly visible at the end. Even worse is that it already has several hundred likes from his "followers" who have shared it to their own Insta accounts etc. He even gave it a title like"xxcVideoGuyWithNoName GOES ON A DATE"!! And he filmed the whole 20 questions thing by hiding his phone behind a menu!

So I guess my AIBU is a. AIBU to be weirded out by this? and b. Is this focus on social media the new norm for dating now??

OP's posts:
Please
or

HollowTalk · 08/04/2019 14:53

This is going to be in the DM tomorrow, I bet.

Please
or

TooBusyHavingFun · 08/04/2019 14:54

Christ almighty, demand he removes it and get your friend to demand it too.

Please
or

HeyNannyNanny · 08/04/2019 14:54

Yep. Tell us the name and we’ll tell him to take it down.

This.
There is such a thing as bad publicity and we can ruin his channel. Little wanker.

Please
or

CoraPirbright · 08/04/2019 14:57

What an arsehole!! Hope you can get him banned altogether! What kind of freak is so obsessed with social media that they think this is ok? He is going to end up very lonely....

Please
or

Hubblebubbletripletrouble · 08/04/2019 14:59

OP please bear in mind the tabloids love to report on this kind of story and will no doubt lift bits from this thread.

Please
or

Texel · 08/04/2019 15:03

Don't put it up here, he will just turn comments off and get lots of views from it being up here.
Ask him to take it down and tell him you will be flagging the vidro, contact mutual friend re gettong it down and YouTube.

Please
or

TaliZorahVasNormandy · 08/04/2019 15:05

What a weirdo. I'd be having a few words with your friend too.

Please
or

girlwithadragontattoo · 08/04/2019 15:06

ShockShockShockShock Have you spoken to him? what has he said? I'd be furious What has your friend said?

Please
or

alittlesnow · 08/04/2019 15:07

OMG this is actually chilling! Shock

Please
or

CutSomeRug · 08/04/2019 15:09

There have been a lot of YouTuber threads lately

Please
or

itsabugchicken · 08/04/2019 15:13

Vlogging is going too far nowadays. I can't believe it's legal to use their kids as their content.

I feel so bad for kids and it really wouldn't surprise me if they all end up nc with their fame hungry parents!

Please
or

bethy15 · 08/04/2019 15:14

When I've seen these people on Youtube, I always wonder what type of person can be their partner or husband/wife. It seems so invasive and exhausting having someone shove a camera at you every few minutes.

This is out of order what he's done to you, and the fact you can see your car reg too. These people have strange fans, I've seen them track people down, even people they are in a relationship with and where they work (one woman showed her new partner, within a few hours people were sharing his profile with the police where he worked). Ask him to remove it and then move on.

Please
or

JemSynergy · 08/04/2019 15:14

Some people can't do anything in their lives without putting it on social media. I would be livid. Ask him to remove it or report it.

Please
or

itsabugchicken · 08/04/2019 15:14

And don't post his username, he gets paid per view. But YANBU and he's clearly a total dick!

Please
or

bethy15 · 08/04/2019 15:16

Vlogging is going too far nowadays. I can't believe it's legal to use their kids as their content.

I feel so bad for kids and it really wouldn't surprise me if they all end up nc with their fame hungry parents!

I really dislike the family and mummy bloggers using their kids like that. I read an article the other day, and this woman isn't a blogger or vlogger, but had just posted some photos of their kids on SM and found them on peado sites. What they are inviting in by plastering their children's faces everywhere to make money isn't right IMO.

Please
or

fromdownwest · 08/04/2019 15:24

It certainly is an eye opener being single after 15 years, being dropped into the tinder/Insta/'SC me' era.

What is quite sad is that you even question that you are being unreasonable. His actions, are at best, odd, but IMO creepy, scary and as someone mentioned narcissitic.

Why people see the need to plaster, literally everything across their social media is beyond me.

Report the video, block him and never make contact with the odd ball ever again!.

Please
or

teletubbies123 · 08/04/2019 15:24

A. YANBU and B. I fear for young people if it is the new norm but I think it probably is.

Out of curiosity does he get paid for his videos?

Please
or

AuntMarch · 08/04/2019 15:30

How old is he???! This is weird - it'd be weird to me even if you'd been a willing participant but to be so sneaky as to hide his phone behind the menu!! I'd probably comment on it asking for it to be removed, hopefully his fans would see that too and know he's a creep.

Please
or

GraceMarks · 08/04/2019 15:31

I would have turned around and walked straight out again as soon as he filmed me arriving. The fact that he sent you the sodding link and asked you to like it seems to suggest he genuinely has no idea that this is not in any way acceptable. How do these people manage to function in the world with so little basic decency and awareness of others? I bet if the date had gone swimmingly and you'd gone back to his place, he would have filmed that from behind the table lamp and posted it on his channel with a name like "xxcVideoGuyWithNoName GETS HIS END AWAY!!"

What a fucking loser.

Please
or

itsinchicago · 08/04/2019 15:37

Oh dear. No second date on the cards then?

#HopelessLoserGetsDumpedAfterOneDate

Please
or

Aeroflotgirl · 08/04/2019 15:56

As soon as he started doing that, I would have walked straight out! How old is he, 13!

Please
or

WarmestRegards · 08/04/2019 16:00

This is the most intrusive thing I’ve heard about on here. Please don’t share what it is, he sounds like he’d love it.

Please
or

CallipygianFancier · 08/04/2019 16:03

support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801895?hl=en

I'd report it, from what you've described I think YouTube would agree you have grounds to have it taken down.

Please
or

PeachesAndMayo · 08/04/2019 16:08

YANBU. You are a normal human being and he's a nut.

Please
or

Raspberrytruffle · 08/04/2019 16:10

What a wank stain ! Pardon the language but that really annoys me, I'd tell him to get it down and delete asap, then report it to Instagram. Don't have anything more to do with him

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.