Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think six month olds don't talk?

203 replies

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 15:09

I'm part of a Facebook group that relates to baby care. The other day someone 'introduced' their six month old with a list of their achievements (!), including "I have said 'Mommy' three times". Someone questioned this in the comments and was bombarded with other people insisting that their six month old says - with meaning and intention - 'Mama/Mommy/Mummy', 'Dada/Daddy', and a small selection of other words, such as 'Hi'. AIBU to think that this is a sweet but harmless delusion - their six month old is making random sounds but is not 'talking' - or is this really possible and I'm being mean? To be clear, either way I'm not going to say anything or be rude or anything, I'm just genuinely curious?

OP posts:
KismetJayn · 16/03/2019 18:04

@calamityjune that's the real problem! No one will care when they were potty trained by the time they're teenagers, there's really no point bragging about it.

I was more worried that by holding it so early she'd make herself ill. So thought best teach her to sign when she wants it, so we can get her on the potty quickly and not have her holding until she's somewhere quiet enough, unable to explain.

HerRoyalFattyness · 16/03/2019 18:12

My oldest was talking, with meaning, (told the HV that "grandaddy did it" when she asked him what had happened when he dropped a toy. Grandaddy got the blame for a lot of stuff!) at 8 months old.
My next child didn't talk until she was almost 2. didnt have to because her older brother still hadn't learnt to stop talking and spoke for her!
The youngest fell in the middle and is perfectly average.

There are definitely early outliers.
Its not "normal" or average, but it does happen.
(I'm a nursery nurse working in a baby room, i see a lot of babies)

FangsTasticBeast · 16/03/2019 18:13

Ds1 had a few words by 8 months , his first word was balloon . His 3 younger brothers didn’t speak until 2 at the earliest, the youngest was 3 but he has asd . None of them walked early. A friends son was walking at 6 months and running by 7. It was quite freaky as he was really small for his age as well

HerRoyalFattyness · 16/03/2019 18:14

Walking DS1 was 8 months. DD was 11 months and DS2 was 9 months.

I see lots of babies that don't walk until they're 17/18 months though, and we have one who is 6 months and just taken his first steps.

TriciaH87 · 16/03/2019 18:23

Its considered professionally as babbling. Basically repeating sounds they regularly hear that are easy to say often also includes no. It is the early onset of talking and should be encouraged to further their development but they are not knowingly saying the word knowing its meaning. To them the adult gives a happy response on hearing it so they do it again.

TurquoiseDress · 16/03/2019 18:25

YANBU

They certainly "talk" in the baby babbling sense, but no actual words that I can make out (at least with my little one, almost 7 months)

BertrandRussell · 16/03/2019 18:28

My theory is that they can all do it, but some, like my dd, had early physical control of her mouth and tongue that meant what she was saying was comprehensible. She always spoke very clearly, with none of the mispronciations a lot of children had-could say “th” and “w” and “r” properly from the beginning, for example. I think they can all talk- we just can’t understand most of them....

Findingthingstough18 · 16/03/2019 21:57

Oh yes polkadots that book looks so up my street - I have ordered a copy!

Re the post above that says that having an early talker is bad because they don't sleep - as DS is a crap sleeper AND seemingly very developmentally average, do I get some sort of special consolation prize?!

OP posts:
Wrybread · 16/03/2019 22:09

Mine could say one word a bit younger than that. dc1 did it during a gp appointment. GP was a bit taken aback. It was quite funny Grin

Dc1 also used to do it in the supermarket trolley. To total strangers.

Dc1 is still an extrovert and complete chatterbox.

But he didn't walk until much later than most babies do. I think of babies are ahead in one thing they're probably behind in another and it all works out about the same by the time they're at preschool.

PookieDo · 16/03/2019 23:11

My DD1 did not walk until she was nearly 18 months old and potty trained at 3 and awful sleeper but started saying words about 8/9 months. Bloody weird it was. She was so chatty by 18 months and still never stops talking! She said cat duck ball mum dad. 6 months is a bit Hmm though
DD2 didn’t really have many words at 2 and I got really worried and she had her hearing tested over and over - she’s a ‘selective hearer’ apparently!

DD1 also had all her teeth by 18 months and she lost some of her baby teeth age 4, but she had no hair for ages Grin. She’s now 16 and has 2 wisdom teeth but only 5ft tall with size 3 feet.

Kids are all wonderfully different

Chocolatedeficitdisorder · 16/03/2019 23:19

My son was born on a Tuesday and had his two bottom, shiny, white teeth by Saturday morning. He still didn't walk until he was 13 months, and now at 22 I don't think he's ever ironed a shirt successfully.

ittakes2 · 16/03/2019 23:22

My twins were also saying mamma at 6 months but that’s all they said for ages. For one whole day I thought they were referring to me until we realised they were using the word mamma to ask for their dummies!

MsAwesomeDragon · 16/03/2019 23:35

Dd1's first "words" were quack whenever she saw a duck and woof whenever she saw a dog (both quite regularly as I took her to feed the ducks almost every day as a cheap activity as a baby). She was quite reliably "saying" these noises, enough that strangers would comment about knowing animal sounds so early, by about 7 months. By about 8/9 months she had quite a few recognisable words, mostly related to food but a few animals and toys she liked.

I recognise that she was very unusual in how early she talked. She was speaking in clear sentences by 18 months. She took a lot longer with physical things though, crawling at 12 months, which is quite late really, and not walking til almost 18 months (and as a big baby, she looked closer to 2, we got quite a few comments about being too big to be in the buggy when she couldn't walk yet). She's intelligent, but not amazingly so, and I really don't think early/late talking is an indication of anything later in life.

BejamNostalgia · 16/03/2019 23:44

Two of my children had very delayed speech so this isn’t a stealth boast, my 3rd cried with an m sound quite distinctly from about 12 weeks and he was calling me Mum by 6 months. It was quite strange especially as I hadn’t had anything like that before.

nos123 · 16/03/2019 23:47

There’s a dated baby video of myself babbling “dadada” at 5 months but it wasn’t said with understanding. More that it was a word that I could repeat. Children begin language acquisition with repetition. I doubt a 6 month old baby would understand what they’re referring to but baby babble with the odd word is possible.

JustDanceAddict · 16/03/2019 23:49

DD was saying single words by 9 months. Only a couple. She an early talker but late walker.
I didn’t know any who could talk at 6 months but I knew a couple of v early crawlers!!

Findingthingstough18 · 17/03/2019 00:12

My twins were also saying mamma at 6 months but that’s all they said for ages. For one whole day I thought they were referring to me until we realised they were using the word mamma to ask for their dummies!

See, my assumption here would be that it was a mildly upset noise, which therefore they stopped making when they got their comfort object, their dummies, not that it was a 'word for' dummy. But I am clearly such a baby talk sceptic! And I suppose it all rests on an unanswerable question about what goes on in a baby's head.

Poor DS, he is/will be subject to such scrutiny before his mother will accept his achievements! I'm currently (not right now, obviously, he's asleep) rigorously testing whether he can, as DH claims, wave. So far the evidence is pointing towards 'randomly waves his arm; if you wave at him as often as DH does then by sheer chance sometimes he'll wave his arm at the same time'. DH - a baby milestone believer, in clear contrast to my scientific purity - insists otherwise...

OP posts:
Findingthingstough18 · 17/03/2019 00:28

My theory is that they can all do it, but some, like my dd, had early physical control of her mouth and tongue that meant what she was saying was comprehensible. She always spoke very clearly, with none of the mispronciations a lot of children had-could say “th” and “w” and “r” properly from the beginning, for example. I think they can all talk- we just can’t understand most of them....

Hmm, interesting. This is a regular argument that DH and I have had since DS started babbling properly - he says that when DS sits shouting at us, which for some reason he mostly does in his highchair, he's trying (but currently failing) to speak. I think he's making noise for the sheer hell and joy of making a sound, because he's only recently discovered he can go 'bababababababababbababa' - I don't think it's an attempt to communicate. Again, we shall never know!

(As I think is clear from this thread, it is A BARREL OF LAUGHS in my house, where DH and I earnestly monitor and debate our PFB's every move. We also sometimes summon the other one to see a particularly good poo. We are unbearable people)

OP posts:
PreseaCombatir · 17/03/2019 01:32

It’s interesting, all these stories of very early talkers being quite late walkers, as it was exactly like that with mine. Started talking at about seven/eight months but didn’t walk until about sixteen or seventeen months.

Jenny70 · 17/03/2019 02:03

I think it's clear that some babies at 6 months understand language, they will look at objects etc if asked "where's the X". Some can point in books to correct pictures etc. There is some fascinating research of teeny tiny babies expressing surprise (by eye dilation I think) if the voice doesn't match the face they were expecting.... Mum's voice, but stranger's face, or male voice and Mum's face. So they clearly have a lot going on in their brains from very young age. Anyone who has learnt another language knows it's easier to listen/understand words than to construct your own speaking words/sentences.

And clearly babies babble and make "word like sounds". So it isn't beyond all comprehension that a rare baby might get it all together to say a few words before 6m.

But we all know that this baby was most likely babbling mumumumumum and Mum has gotten a little over-excited by it all.

Whippetmummy · 17/03/2019 03:28

My second son was speaking very early so at seven months he could say some single words. At a year it was three word sentences. My other two were not so early.

Mamaryllis · 17/03/2019 04:21

Mine said ‘Mummy why are you wiping my goolies?’ during a nappy change some time around his first birthday. No fecking idea where he got that. By two he was hanging out playing with hovercraft in the street with the menfolk (with his arms crossed and helping fix, natch.) Before his third birthday he was telling us random number facts that he had worked out as we kissed him goodnight ‘Mummy, did you know that seven lots of three is twenty one?’ Why yes, son. He’s 17 now and leaves school in June, has steadfastly refused to apply to any universities. Nope. Nada. Zilch. Gin

Mamaryllis · 17/03/2019 04:25

He WAS weird. My neighbours (all really good friends - six of us pregnant and due within six weeks of each other) called him ‘golden wonder boy’ Blush
I’m going to put money on the fact that he leaves school with the worst exam results of all Grin but he was quick out of the blocks Confused

Mmmhmmokdear · 17/03/2019 07:10

My oldest said "hiya" with meaning and waved at 6 months, swiftly followed by Dada. Interestingly, she didn't walk until later than her friends as well. I never realised there was a connection.

dancinfeet · 17/03/2019 07:19

My eldest DD could say 5 words at seven and a half months. Talking in simple sentences at a year old, but got fairly average GCSE and A Level results as a teenager. She did excel at English though and has a flair for performing! She didn't do anything else 'early' though such as crawling or walking, she was just a chatterbox.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.