Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think six month olds don't talk?

203 replies

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 15:09

I'm part of a Facebook group that relates to baby care. The other day someone 'introduced' their six month old with a list of their achievements (!), including "I have said 'Mommy' three times". Someone questioned this in the comments and was bombarded with other people insisting that their six month old says - with meaning and intention - 'Mama/Mommy/Mummy', 'Dada/Daddy', and a small selection of other words, such as 'Hi'. AIBU to think that this is a sweet but harmless delusion - their six month old is making random sounds but is not 'talking' - or is this really possible and I'm being mean? To be clear, either way I'm not going to say anything or be rude or anything, I'm just genuinely curious?

OP posts:
Piglet89 · 15/03/2019 16:40

My mother tells me that, aged about 9 months at Chapel, I saw her friend Madeleine (whom I had clearly seen before and recognised) and shouted out her full name. Clear as a bell.

I have gone on to train as a voice coach and am fascinated with speech and accent and different sounds. I’m also a good mimic, musical and I think the whole thing is entirely hereditary. Also, because I’m an only child, my parents talked away to me all the time.

limpbizkit · 15/03/2019 16:40

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SirVixofVixHall · 15/03/2019 16:40

The deluded comment is really rude ! My dds could definitely use actual appropriate words at six months. Names, animal names like “duck” etc. It actually was a double edged sword. Nice for us that they could talk in sentences well before one, but not that nice in any other way. I had jealousy from other parents, as did my Mum with my db. I was accused by friends of somehow intensively coaching dd1, which made me stressed and self conscious, and it was really problematic for her when she started school at three with a massive vocabulary and was out of kilter with her age group. She was so miserable at five that she had to have ed psych assessments, which confirmed the huge gulf between her and her peers in terms of language, and we had to home ed for a year and then change schools. She was very unhappy all through primary. So it might sound boasty but it just is what it is. Dd was an exceptionally early talker, in the same way that she has green eyes, just a blip of nature. Not down to anything that we did. Yet it somehow makes other parents of babies hate you, and hate your little baby. honestly don’t get why.
You can probably tell this is still a sore point. So don’t go wishing for early talkers !

Ghanagirl · 15/03/2019 16:41

@Birdsgottafly

My eldest was very vocal and at six months could say words and seemed to understand some, within a couple of months. My middle DD and my GD walked by nine months. My middle DD also could say sentences quite early.

But it all evens out and doesn't really matter.
Yet you still had the urge to post this crap?

It used to be a common saying on here, "no CV contains the age you were out of nappies". It's one to bear in mind, with any milestone.

BettyDuMonde · 15/03/2019 16:42

My son appeared to be able to say ‘Oh dear!’ At 6 months.

In hindsight it seems to have been a kind of echolalia thing (he has ASD), more like a parrot saying human words than actual communication.

He is really wordy as an adult though. Horribly so 😬

Bun123 · 15/03/2019 16:42

I think this thread is absolutely delightful. And full of humour.
As an older person I would say any mother that does not think their child is the best, most wonderful child in the world is not a proper mum.
For some this takes the form of attributing special qualities and achievements to their child.
How lovely and pure. If only all children had someone who thought they were the greatest.

GarthFunkel · 15/03/2019 16:43

A friend's DD was walking and talking at 9 months. I took DS around - he was 3 weeks older, not walking (took another 11 months) or talking. She walked up to him and said "hey mummy, issa baby. Ahhh" Hmm Grin

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 16:43

My son said 'duck' when in the bath at 8months

I promise I'm not having a go, I'm genuinely asking - and I've already said that I do believe that a baby can, exceptionally, have a word or two at 8/9 months, it's 5 months that stretches my credulity - but how much did you 'test' this? Did he say the word every time or nearly every time he saw the duck? Did he ever say it when he couldn't see the duck?

I'm now wondering if we're going to totally disregard all of poor DS's early words because his mother requires cast-iron proof that could pass peer review before she'll accept them?!

OP posts:
limpbizkit · 15/03/2019 16:46

@sirvix. Same here. I kept really quiet about my son saying so much as it provokes exactly the kind of reaction as @ghanagirl. I talked to my babies constantly and clearly. Really emphasising words and looking them in the eye. I do think (like it or not to the haters) that this did help those early first words. My son was 7 months clearly saying 'duck' (to a bath duck) my daughter was 11months. I don't judge late developer's so why the judgement for early talkers. To state the truth is not bragging.

limpbizkit · 15/03/2019 16:46

Sorry typo. 8 months not 7

Faultymain5 · 15/03/2019 16:46

At five months my DD said 'barber'. We paid no attention the first few times, but she kept saying it whenever her brother was in the room. 2+2 = 4 (or not) we deduced that she was calling her brother (or at least notifying us that the forgotten child was in the room):).

She called him barber (became brother) for about 10 months after that, then she called him what everyone else called him.

I genuinely believe she never heard his name and just knew him as brotherSmile

Ghanagirl · 15/03/2019 16:47

@limpbizkit

@ghana fox trot Oscar
Sorry no idea what this means is it something you’ve learnt from your “child genius”

HazelBite · 15/03/2019 16:47

Ds1 said "hello" to me at 8 months, I nearly fell over and felt very guilty for not believing the Nanny who looked after him from day to day. Hello was very quickly followed by Cat, No and Yes.
However this "child genius" did not sit up unaided until he was 10 months!
He is still very talkative aged 37!
His two youngest brothers had to have speech therapy due to delayed speech!

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 16:48

I love the fact a parent is never allowed to admit achievements through fear of being labelled a bragger. I've been very quiet about my children's achievements for fear of exactly the reaction of nasty little people like @ghanagirl. Some talk early some talk late. I'm not judging so don't judge me. No reason to lie

I do think that you can't both claim that it's 'just one of those things' and also that it's an 'achievement'?

I'm also not a huge fan of the people saying 'it was because we talked to them lots', as that comes a bit close to 'my baby is/was so exceptionally advanced because I was a wonderful mother'!

OP posts:
limpbizkit · 15/03/2019 16:49

@fibding. Just as an example, when he was in the bath with this little plastic purple duck I looked at him and repeatedly mouthed 'duck' whilst pointing at it (like I did with many things) he then repeated this one day at 8months old 'duck' the ck at the end was overly pronounced but it was clear to me.

ScrambledSmegs · 15/03/2019 16:50

I still remember with great clarity the moment one of DC1's friends at nursery pointed at my earrings and said 'they are pretty stars'.

She wasn't even a year old. Meanwhile, my DC continued to gormlessly chew her own sock.

I'm pretty sure that even she wasn't talking at 6 months old though. Sounds like a massive load of bollocks to me.

limpbizkit · 15/03/2019 16:50

See you can't win. You say what you did and you're bragging you're a wonderful mother. I'm off this thread

Morgan12 · 15/03/2019 16:50

My 7 month old certainly sounds like he is saying mum when my DH is rocking him to sleep. He looks at me while he says it but I'm still not 100% convinced to be honest.

limpbizkit · 15/03/2019 16:51

AornisHades · 15/03/2019 16:51

Hmm @Ghanagirl did I say I remembered talking at 6 months? No I didn't. My mum and dad do remember it though. As did my grandparents when they were alive.

limpbizkit · 15/03/2019 16:52

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 16:52

Just as an example, when he was in the bath with this little plastic purple duck I looked at him and repeatedly mouthed 'duck' whilst pointing at it (like I did with many things) he then repeated this one day at 8months old 'duck' the ck at the end was overly pronounced but it was clear to me.

Did he then spontaneously say it on other occasions when he saw the duck? It's just that I wouldn't count a baby repeating back to you the sound you'd just made as 'saying a word with meaning'. Again, I'm not trying to criticise you or to say you're making it up/delusional, it's just that I'm genuinely curious about people's standards for what 'counts' as a word.

OP posts:
TaggieOHara · 15/03/2019 16:52

I did baby signing with my DS1. He had a couple of signs at a little over six months. No comprehensible speech though!

Is baby signing still a thing? I loved doing it with DS1. DH and I still use the sad sign when something goes wrong, and the all gone sign much to (now 13yo) DS1’s disgust Blush

Ghanagirl · 15/03/2019 16:55

@limpbizkit
You’re the person that’s boasting about your child’s amazing vocabulary whilst resorting to cursing🤷🏾‍♀️

GrouchyKiwi · 15/03/2019 16:56

Finding My eldest, who spoke at 8 months, would pick up toys and name them "duck", "dog" etc, and ask to be passed to her parents (by name) when her aunty & uncle, who lived with us, were holding her.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.