Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think six month olds don't talk?

203 replies

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 15:09

I'm part of a Facebook group that relates to baby care. The other day someone 'introduced' their six month old with a list of their achievements (!), including "I have said 'Mommy' three times". Someone questioned this in the comments and was bombarded with other people insisting that their six month old says - with meaning and intention - 'Mama/Mommy/Mummy', 'Dada/Daddy', and a small selection of other words, such as 'Hi'. AIBU to think that this is a sweet but harmless delusion - their six month old is making random sounds but is not 'talking' - or is this really possible and I'm being mean? To be clear, either way I'm not going to say anything or be rude or anything, I'm just genuinely curious?

OP posts:
StealthPolarBear · 15/03/2019 15:43

Rchick that is pure talent.
At a few hours old my ds sneezed and a globule of snot landed on the health visitors shoulder. He is still very good at emitting snot now.

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 15:43

It is also quite interesting culturally, because I'm on two groups for this particular thing, one 'international' but actually most US, and one UK, and you get A LOT more of the 'so proud of my amazing baby who achieved X thing today' posts on the US one, and a lot more 'OMG so fed up of my baby doing X annoying thing' on the UK one...!

OP posts:
Mookatron · 15/03/2019 15:43

People talk bollocks about their kids. I remember my niece sending us a lovely drawing of her, mummy and daddy when she was three, and thinking nothing of it as I didn't have kids myself - lovely neat little figures in stripy outfits on a line ground.

Then when I did have kids myself I realised my SIL must have drawn it herself because that was no 3 yr old's drawing. Shock

Birdsgottafly · 15/03/2019 15:43

My eldest was very vocal and at six months could say words and seemed to understand some, within a couple of months. My middle DD and my GD walked by nine months. My middle DD also could say sentences quite early.

My eldest has ADHD and is still difficult to shut up at 34. I don't know if the early speech is connected to what was going on neurologically.

But it all evens out and doesn't really matter.

It used to be a common saying on here, "no CV contains the age you were out of nappies". It's one to bear in mind, with any milestone.

StealthPolarBear · 15/03/2019 15:45

Well mine does :) and my bronze swimming certificate

MagnusMama · 15/03/2019 15:46

Some children do speak at that age! My eldest said nothing, not even babbles, until "Mama" at 20 mo, but my youngest started saying "Papa" when my DH walked into the room at about 5 and a half months. We tested it (by DH walking in and out of the door and then by hiding behind the sofa and popping out). He definitely was calling out "Papa".
He never called me (or his sister) "Papa", even though he didn't manage "Mama" for about four more weeks.

AnyWalls · 15/03/2019 15:46

I'd request video evidence or it didn't happen.

DD's first sounds really were dadadadadadadada (I'm a single mother). I'm thinking about 9 months?

First word was No. Again I'm thinking 9 months, but might have been older - maybe 12 months. It's a bit of a haze now.

I can assure you that she has had a lot to say for herself in the intervening years. Though now she's a teenager, she has returned to being mute. Or sighing dramatically.

TheClaifeCrier · 15/03/2019 15:47

Enjoy it while it lasts OP. My kids are 6 and 3 and they never, ever, ever stop talking Grin

Lweji · 15/03/2019 15:47

I suspect babies speaking at 6 months are self induced delusions by parents. We hear what we want to hear.

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 15:47

It's not on my CV, but my parents do still bore people about what an early/self-directed reader I was. I'm 31...

OP posts:
AnyWalls · 15/03/2019 15:48

They usually can't get their tongues around a consonant.

thirdfiddle · 15/03/2019 15:51

How big is the group? It's rare but not unheard of. So if the group is big enough it's possible you're hearing from that tiny %, if it's small more likely it's parents over-pattern-spotting. Though on the flip side, some of what I thought was random babble from my babies was obvious attempts at relevant words when I looked back at videos after I was better tuned in to baby talk.

Some walk at 6 months too, seems unimaginable thinking of my DC learning to sit/crawl at that age and how weak their muscles still were, but there's just a huge range.

AnyWalls · 15/03/2019 15:51

I firmly believe dd didn't feel the need to speak, as I would ask her questions and answer the questions based on how happy she looked, or whether she turned away (I was answering her own questions).
It's actually quite stilling when they first say something! Nearly freaked me out to be honest lol.

jaseyraex · 15/03/2019 15:51

It's not just parents. My health visitor thinks DS said "yeah" when he was 5 months. He didn't, he made a noise that vaguely sounded like yeah at the time and has never done since. She actually noted it in his red book. I've scored it out since.

XingMing · 15/03/2019 15:51

At 18 months, DS had a vocabulary of about 150 words: I wrote them down in a book one weekend. And has not stopped talking since, much to DH's annoyance, and to an endless refrain of "do be quiet XingJr" from teachers.

GrouchyKiwi · 15/03/2019 15:52

My oldest was talking at 8 months (and we've not managed to get her to be quiet since), which is very early. There are outliers at both ends of the curve, but just 6 months is very unlikely. By the time they're 2 1/2 they're all mostly doing the same stuff anyway.

Hollyhobbi · 15/03/2019 15:53

My eldest's first word at about 13 months apart from dada and and mama was apple. She's 20 now and lives on junk food lolGrin

Oliviathebaby · 15/03/2019 15:54

Only mummy and daddy? Ridiculous infants. I have presented academic papers at five separate conferences already. I am a little older at 9 months, however.

cantbearsed1 · 15/03/2019 15:54

I worked with a man who insisted his son was talking at 3 weeks old - proper words apparently.

AnyWalls · 15/03/2019 15:58

Mine didn't have a tooth until she was 14 months old. That said, apparently she was very advanced and was teething from 5 weeks old according to my mother. Grin
I have the cutest gummy photos of her as a baby.

AnyWalls · 15/03/2019 16:01

Btw, the dietician said that her inability to eat minced meat as a baby was nothing to do with the fact that she had no teeth......

youwillgo · 15/03/2019 16:04

According to my baby book, I said my first word at 6 months, and was putting 2 or 3 words together at 9 and a half months (walking at 9 months too).

Now you could be forgiven for thinking this was the delusion of my over excited mother, but no, I was the last of 4 kids, and the novelty had well and truly worn off by then! (I'm still bitter that my sibling all had terry towelling nappies, but the disposable ones were good enough for me lol) Apparently I was something of a baby genius! Sadly I peaked too soon though, and have done nothing genius-worthy since.

Chocolatedeficitdisorder · 15/03/2019 16:05

Some walk at 6 months too, seems unimaginable thinking of my DC learning to sit/crawl at that age and how weak their muscles still were, but there's just a huge range.

I saw a 6 month old walking when I was a student nurse on a placement with the HV team. He was brought to the clinic and walked into the room. We double-checked the age and it was true, although a bit surreal.

Upthepong · 15/03/2019 16:07

One of mine was an early talker, shouting 'milk' from his cot at 10 months. Most unnerving. Six months would be really freaky.

Tinyteatime · 15/03/2019 16:09

My dd said her 1st word at 9 months, 6? No, Can’t be possible but they’re not harming anyone.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.