Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think six month olds don't talk?

203 replies

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 15:09

I'm part of a Facebook group that relates to baby care. The other day someone 'introduced' their six month old with a list of their achievements (!), including "I have said 'Mommy' three times". Someone questioned this in the comments and was bombarded with other people insisting that their six month old says - with meaning and intention - 'Mama/Mommy/Mummy', 'Dada/Daddy', and a small selection of other words, such as 'Hi'. AIBU to think that this is a sweet but harmless delusion - their six month old is making random sounds but is not 'talking' - or is this really possible and I'm being mean? To be clear, either way I'm not going to say anything or be rude or anything, I'm just genuinely curious?

OP posts:
NameChanger22 · 16/03/2019 00:41

DD was saying mummy and daddy before she turned 3 months. We were having full conversations before her 1st birthday. People would ask me all the time how old she was because they were alarmed that a tiny baby could talk. Before she was 2 she was using words like psychology. In lots of ways it was like she couldn't be bothered to be a baby and just skipped that stage. She's fairly normal now though.

BoobiesToTheRescue · 16/03/2019 07:12

@Pinkkahori exactly!
My kids are convinced that their little brother can talk at 8 weeks. Because his noise really does sound like "hello".

It's very lovely, baby babble is adorable. If some parents believe it's deliberate then where's the harm.

UnicornRainbowsRain · 16/03/2019 08:40

@Flatwhite32 some kids walk, crawl, roll at that age and some don't. Some kids like to do nothing physical and talk your face off. I understand not being able to imagine it but it did happen and for medical reasons my child went through several observations which put her ahead of average verbally/language. It's not a brag, it's just what happened. Conversely we got next to no sleep at the same time as they woke up several times a night. Sometimes as many as 10-12 times at that stage of development. I would have happily swapped a good nights sleep for not being able to have full conversations before the age of a year.

Still it made a stroll out with the buggy a bit more interesting.

Stifledlife · 16/03/2019 09:36

I know someone who, in all seriousness, believes her puppy calls her Mum. I suspect the dog is yawning.

We hear what we want to hear.

The names Mummy and Daddy came about because those are the first and easiest noises that babies babble, and since (ideally) they are spending most of their time with one of their parents, the first links of language will be made when they babble Mamamama and their mother looks up.

It's not intelligence that stops babies talking, it physical development, so maybe she has a future olympic athlete on her hands.

Ithinkthatsenough · 16/03/2019 09:39

Conpetitive parenting at its finest.
I know a FTM who is convinced her DD is a genius,has a photographic memory etc...Hmm

Aragog · 16/03/2019 09:40

Some 6 months can say the odd words.
They'll be an average but there are always some who do.
Dd spoke her first word at this age. By a year she was putting words together to make 2-3 word statements.
It's noted in her baby book by the clinic.

She's now 16y and it makes not a blindest bit of difference to her life now. It made no difference whatsoever to her growing up. It helped when she was small as she could indicate her needs to adults easier at times.

BlackCatSleeping · 16/03/2019 09:46

A friends baby was so advanced. He was proper walking at 6 months and could say a few words. By 12 months, he could count to 10 in three languages. The mum was totally cool about it all, said it was just his thing and she was sure there were loads of things he was behind at too. I didn’t see anything he was behind at though. I lost touch with her now but I wonder what her son is like now he’s older.

icannotremember · 16/03/2019 09:59

Ds2 walked at 9.5 months and I thought that was scarily early, I don't think I'd have coped if he walked at just 6 months! He was a late talker though. He relied a lot on his elder brother to interpret his grunts.

Flatwhite32 · 16/03/2019 10:50

@UnicornRainbowsRain Oh that lack of sleep must have been so hard! My DD can't babble or crawl, but her sleep is pretty good thank god (touch wood!).

4strings · 16/03/2019 10:56

Both my dds said actual words at 7 mo. They haven’t stopped talking since. In fact, dd was slightly less than that. We didn’t realise at the time though. Dh took a video of her, said the date, said “Hello dd” and she responded “Hiya”.

thirdfiddle · 16/03/2019 11:45

I don't mind people sharing about their early talkers. Specially when asked like in this thread. I don't think it's bragging. Everyone's excited about first words whether early or late. Specially if late. It's just an amazing thing how children puck up language and fascinating how different they can be. (Mine were pretty bog standard for the record.)

SlinkyDinkyDoo · 16/03/2019 11:54

They make noises and babble a bit. It's no different to the people on Youtube who make videos of theircats 'saying' hello. It sounds a bit like hello. Some babiesmake noises at 6 months and it sounds a bit like mama.

As a previous poster said, it's all bollocks but harmful in itself. Don't engage 😀

woodcutbirds · 16/03/2019 12:00

babies are all different. Why get upset that some speak early? Both mine spoke a few words at six months and full sentences by a year. But one of them didn't walk until he was 17 mnths. He could chat away but only move if he cruised or shuffle-crawled. But a friends baby could walk at 7 months, I couldn;t believe my eyes. He was minute and stomping around really securely. They're not pre-programmed robots. They do stuff at different times.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies · 16/03/2019 12:08

Really, it only matters for a very short time. My dds were spectacularly late talkers (the eldest was 3, while dd2 and 3 were 4), and sometimes I did get —very weepy— a little upset when yet another parent told me that their little darling was a fantastically early talker, but “of course, I talk to them all the time.” As opposed to me, who obviously did a Dursley on them, and locked them in the cupboard under the stairs.

Guess what? Now they’re at their selective (and yes, that is me having a little boars), nobody’s terribly interested in their early speech delay. By the same token, nobody is interested in the fact that my ds was described as an excellent talker by his nursery.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies · 16/03/2019 12:09

Strike through AND autocorrect fail. Impressive.

Hereford1 · 16/03/2019 12:22

For all those who think parents are boasting when they say their children are talking incredibly early, you could follow my SIL’s example: “She’s had to learn to talk to get you to understand her. Where there’s a really good bond, they don’t need to learn.”

PreseaCombatir · 16/03/2019 13:03

you could follow my SIL’s example: “She’s had to learn to talk to get you to understand her. Where there’s a really good bond, they don’t need to learn.”

Your SIL sounds.... charming.

BlackCatSleeping · 16/03/2019 13:37

You could follow my SIL’s example: “She’s had to learn to talk to get you to understand her. Where there’s a really good bond, they don’t need to learn.”

Isn't being a mum hard enough without dealing with all this bitchiness towards each other? Sad

Hereford1 · 16/03/2019 14:27

Actually she’s not a bitch, just insensitive. And an expert - children, pets, even though she’s never had either, decor. And health care! She’s a walking medical oracle. Which is lucky, because she cannot stand “bloody doctors”.
The downside for her is that every job she’s ever had, she’s been surrounded by idiots who just wouldn’t listen to sense. She’s had a lot of jobs.
It washes over me.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams · 16/03/2019 14:52

OP, I think you might enjoy this book!

CalamityJune · 16/03/2019 15:08

I have genuinely had someone tell me that their mum had her toilet trained before her first birthday.

I think DS was around when we first started getting meaningful sounds. He's 20 months now and has about 40 words, not all of them accurate and he doesn't put two words together yet. I'm sure he will get there.

bridgetreilly · 16/03/2019 15:11

Ancient Hebrew (don't know about modern) for breast is 'dad'. I assume that's because it's one of the first sounds babies make.

KismetJayn · 16/03/2019 15:52

@calamityjune mine was potty trained for poops at 9mos... It is possible.

But my baby was weird and would only poop in a very quiet room from very early on, so it was easy to see the poop face, and immediately put her on the potty. Then teach her baby sign language (she didn't talk early!) for poop.

She then at around 10mos could sign for poop and be put on the potty so started training for wees around a year.

Potty trained fully including night at 18mos.

Definitely rare. I know she was rare. The childminders were supporting her first wearing pants at the same time as a a 3yr old. But rare doesn't mean impossible!

limpbizkit · 16/03/2019 17:09

@ghanagirl the reason I told you where to go is I never once labelled my son a 'child genius' as you so many times quoted. I simply told the truth that he could identify and say simple words such as 'duck' 'dog' at 8 months old. My daughter was 11 months. It's not a lie. It's the truth. I'm not bragging or being pretentious- anything but. Your reaction was cold callous and disbelieving. You also insulted me and my son on a personal level repeatedly. Hence I reported you.

CalamityJune · 16/03/2019 17:11

@KismetJayn fair enough. I'm definitely of the view that all babies are different and so I do accept that there are early outliers as well as late ones.

This particular story was told in the annoying tone of 'look at my superior parenting', 'everyone could do this if they put their mind to it' though!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.