Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think six month olds don't talk?

203 replies

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 15:09

I'm part of a Facebook group that relates to baby care. The other day someone 'introduced' their six month old with a list of their achievements (!), including "I have said 'Mommy' three times". Someone questioned this in the comments and was bombarded with other people insisting that their six month old says - with meaning and intention - 'Mama/Mommy/Mummy', 'Dada/Daddy', and a small selection of other words, such as 'Hi'. AIBU to think that this is a sweet but harmless delusion - their six month old is making random sounds but is not 'talking' - or is this really possible and I'm being mean? To be clear, either way I'm not going to say anything or be rude or anything, I'm just genuinely curious?

OP posts:
Looneytune253 · 15/03/2019 16:09

Both my girls said hiya around 6 months aswell as the other usuals mama dada etc. It’s a word they’d heard a lot so I think it’s real!! They were both early talkers and readers etc but not quite so good at walking, climbing etc. I always say it’s either one or the other. They’re both older now tho.

Funkaccino · 15/03/2019 16:10

YANBU but as it's MN, I'm sure the thread is filled with genius four month olds and their novels that are just waiting for a publisher!

BishooWishoo · 15/03/2019 16:13

My good friend once told me she thought her three month old could say “I love you” because when they said it to her, the noises she made in response had the same intonation. Sometimes all you can do is nod and smile.

BishooWishoo · 15/03/2019 16:15

And for that matter, my little one said ‘igloo’ even younger! Not in context though... so almost certainly just a random noise, same as all the other tiny geniuses.

Nathansmommy1 · 15/03/2019 16:16

Mine was an early talker, he did say mama at 5 months, dada soon after. And a while host of words by his first birthday. Soon after the sentences started coming. He was def ahead with his speech and as a five year old now has a huge vocabulary. (Nearly better than mine i think Grin)
But he did/does have delays in other areas.

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 16:19

To be clear, my doubt is that a six month old can do this in context. I completely believe that they go 'moooomeeee', 'iiiii-ya', 'dadada', etc. - I just don't think I believe that a six month old can relate those sounds to a fixed concept (especially 'hi', as that would mean they understood the really quite complicated concept of 'a generalised greeting'?)

OP posts:
SirVixofVixHall · 15/03/2019 16:20

Both my dds could talk at six months. Dd1 was using two words together at seven months. I come from a family of very early talkers though, so maybe it is a hereditary trait ?

ALongHardWinter · 15/03/2019 16:23

Grin I doubt very much that a 6 month old is talking! This reminded me of the time when my (now thankfully ex) MIL insisted that my then DHs younger brother was walking at the age of 6 months!

winsinbin · 15/03/2019 16:24

When DS was small we spent a lot of time with another family whose baby was just over three weeks over. The slightly older baby was (I now know) incredibly advanced. She was talking pretty clearly by 10 months, crawled and walked early, knew nursery rhymes with tunes by about 15 months, dry by age 2 IIRC etc. I was convinced DS was very backward because he was late with most of these things. The mum was and is a lovely, lovely woman who always downplayed her girls early achievements as pure chance and fluke but it rankled with me anyway.

That was over 25 years ago. By chance the wonder child and DS entered the same industry, have the same professional qualifications and are both doing very well for themselves. We are proud mums. As far as I know no-one in their field has ever picked up on the fact that one of them was dry by age 2 and one still sucked his thumb until he was 10!

Ghanagirl · 15/03/2019 16:25

@Findingthingstough18
As part of my professional role l review lots of infants at around 9 to 12 months, some premature others have had birth Injuries but the overwhelming majority are healthy and neurotypical.
I’ve yet to meet a six month old who can say words with meaning let alone a whole cohort of infants in one Facebook group.
YANBU!
Some parents are completely deluded.

AornisHades · 15/03/2019 16:26

I talked at 6 months. Not dada or mama but proper words in context and reliably. Dd was about 8 months. Both of us are autistic though. And neither of us could be arsed to move about so it was the easiest way of getting things :)

firawla · 15/03/2019 16:27

One of mine said her first word at 6 months!! And I hadn’t thought it was possible for babies of that age to talk either but she did. (My others were all more average around 12 months so that’s what I had been expecting as normal )
There’s a book called the 5 levels of gifted which has loads of case studies of children’s development and in there plenty of them do have first words documented from about 6 months... so I would say it’s pretty undisputed that yes it is possible. Whether or not you believe those specific mums on a case by case basis is up to you. There is a high chance that some of them were exaggerating, I’m sure a lot of people wouldn’t believe me either so I don’t tend to openly tell people in life because I don’t want the Hmm face

ILiveInSalemsLot · 15/03/2019 16:29

My dd said Bye! In context and as clear as day to our leaving guests at 6 months old.
We were all stunned and I got a bit scared tbh. It was freaky.

steff13 · 15/03/2019 16:29

I and my boys all started talking around 9 months, and could say complete sentences by 12 months. We all walked really late, though. My daughter only had 10 words by the time she was 2, and she walked really early. Now we can all walk and talk just fine. :)

caringcarer · 15/03/2019 16:30

When mt dd was 6 months old she was saying mumum, nanana, carcar, cat and at 7 months dada. She was late to walk though. Girls often learn to talk before boys and boys often learn to walk before girls and it is common for babies to either concentrate of walking or talking. My ds2 could only say mumum at 8 months and could not say dada until he was almost a year old but he could walk at 9 months and run by 11 months All babies are different and also some babies have parents who talk more to them. Research shows parents talk more to female babies and in a softer voice.

Bugsymalonemumof2 · 15/03/2019 16:30

Welcome to the world of competitive parenting!

My dd didn't say a word until 3.5

Ghanagirl · 15/03/2019 16:31

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FuzzyPuffling · 15/03/2019 16:32

My cat clearly says "hello" but then he is nearly five.

Ghanagirl · 15/03/2019 16:33

@AornisHades
Really?
You remember talking at 6 months...

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 16:36

I just feel like some of these 'in context' might be a bit optimistic. I mean, DS sometimes says 'ca' when he sees one of our cats. But he also says it at other times, and he sometimes sees the cats and doesn't say it. So I don't think it means anything at all; at absolute most it's his 'ooh look' excited noise (he loves the cats). I think, though, that some people might count it. Similarly, we tried to see if he knows his name, and he does indeed turn when we call him - oh he does, we thought! But then we tried saying random words in the same tone of voice, and he turns for them too... (I know that there are plenty of 8 month olds who do know their name, I'm not claiming that one's parental delusion, I'm just using it as an example of how we could very easily have thought he 'knew' something he clearly doesn't)

But maybe I'm being unfair and oversceptical! Also, having read that post back maybe we should stop treating DS like a scientific experiment?!

OP posts:
caringcarer · 15/03/2019 16:36

I told my health visitor that my dd could make a 5 piece jigsaw puzzle with a seal and a ball. Not a play tray, and she smiled and said it was not possible. I was annoyed she did not believe me so asked her to come and see for herself. She came and was shocked and repeated she did not know it was possible. She could read by 3 1/2 and when started school at 4 1/2 had a reading age of 8 years and 3 months. She just loved her books and stories but I also spent time teaching her sounds and phonics to enable her reading. She also learned languages easily taking Spanish, French and German for GCSE and getting top grades in all.

limpbizkit · 15/03/2019 16:36

Ghanagirl · 15/03/2019 16:37

Okay I’m still at work so have nipped across to the community peadiatric consultant and our fantastic SALT team.
They can’t stop laughing at this thread OP

limpbizkit · 15/03/2019 16:39

ZippyBungleandGeorge · 15/03/2019 16:39

Once of DSs first babble sounds was a very clear very loud 'gay', I'd like to boast about his early self expression but I'm pretty sure he isn't cognisant of sexuality at all yet

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.