Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think six month olds don't talk?

203 replies

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 15:09

I'm part of a Facebook group that relates to baby care. The other day someone 'introduced' their six month old with a list of their achievements (!), including "I have said 'Mommy' three times". Someone questioned this in the comments and was bombarded with other people insisting that their six month old says - with meaning and intention - 'Mama/Mommy/Mummy', 'Dada/Daddy', and a small selection of other words, such as 'Hi'. AIBU to think that this is a sweet but harmless delusion - their six month old is making random sounds but is not 'talking' - or is this really possible and I'm being mean? To be clear, either way I'm not going to say anything or be rude or anything, I'm just genuinely curious?

OP posts:
LividLaughLove · 15/03/2019 16:57

Just lost some time trying to find youtube evidence of babies talking at six months. Not really found anything that isn't parents overstretching.

Did see one of a six month old walking, though!

ChristinaMarlowe · 15/03/2019 16:58

Just to play Devils advocate...

Wiki below to a guy that for his degree at 10 and was speaking before 6 months. OF COURSE it's really rare, but to say it MUST be bullshit is a little ignorant. Are all babies in the OP's FB group baby geniuses? I'm gonna guess no.

To think six month olds don't talk?
Sashkin · 15/03/2019 16:58

This is like the gifted and talented threads who claim their PFB knew the alphabet inside and out and taught themselves Mandarin at three months old.

DS used to cry “Maaa! Maaaa!” at six months or so, and DH insisted he was saying Mama. He wasn’t, I think his first word was either “car” when he was about a year old, his speech was actually pretty late. I’ve seen plenty of other proud parents who claim their child is saying “Look mummy, a bright red car!” when to everyone else it sounds like “mamamambababar!” ie totally age-appropriate babbling.

Confusedbeetle · 15/03/2019 16:58

Do not ever be part of a Facebook group, esp one full of boasting adoring parents blurgh

CoffeeChocolateWine · 15/03/2019 16:58

You may think so but my DD who is now 6 was saying mama, dada, and an approximate attempt at her brother’s name in context at 6 months old. She would also say ‘ow-er’ when we pointed to her flower wall sticker...ok it was very approximate but understandable and in context. At 7 months she said ladybird as clear as a bell while playing with her ladybird toy in front of several people so no disputing it. She didn’t say it again until she was about 13 months though 😂 She was stringing words together before she was 1. I would never introduce her by telling people this though...that’s embarrassing! DD was a very early talker but she’s 6 now and fairly bright but no genius.

Findingthingstough18 · 15/03/2019 17:01

My eldest, who spoke at 8 months, would pick up toys and name them "duck", "dog" etc, and ask to be passed to her parents (by name) when her aunty & uncle, who lived with us, were holding her

See, that is the kind of 'evidence' I was wondering about/capriciously demanded - and I totally believe an 8 month old can do that, though it's clearly at the pretty exceptionally early end of the scale. I remain to be convinced that a 5 month old can!

OP posts:
M3lon · 15/03/2019 17:05

Yeah, so it turns out that babies are REALLY different from one another.

Some babies do have genuine spoken language by 6 months.

We didn't have any early talkers in our antenatal group but we did have a freaky walker. He was just amazingly physically coordinated and did all the physical milestones crazy early. When all the other babies were furniture surfing at best, mostly still crawling he was running. His parents had bought him a slide and sure enough he could climb the steps and slide himself down then run around and do it again. Nuts.

Thus is human variation.

Talking in 3 word sentences at 6 months isn't as bonkers as the guy who can compute endless digits for sums like 5872/37891 by seeing the series of colours they make in his mind....I mean that is proper crazy.

SirVixofVixHall · 15/03/2019 17:07

My friend was walking at six months. Apparently she was in the local paper at the time.

altiara · 15/03/2019 17:07

My DD at 6 months said mummy really clearly, it was freaky as she was just a baby that couldn’t even roll over. Then she said it again the same day luckily in front of DH as well! Still freaky. Then she didn’t really speak until age 2. In fact had hearing problems so problems with speech. Really strange! Never usually share this story in case I sound deranged trying to insist my 6 month old could speak!

Camomila · 15/03/2019 17:07

DS said mamma at 9.5m, it was different from his usual mama mama sounds in that he turned to look at me and then said it in an Italian accent (like DM and I would say it)

His speech has always been a little ahead but OTOH he didn't walk till 15 months and he seems completely average for his age at scribbling/letters/counting.

WFTisgoingoninmyhead · 15/03/2019 17:08

My DD who is 25 now would nod her head and shake it for yes and no in contex from 6 months and would say words from 8 months she walked at 8 months too. Her older brother couldn’t do any of these even at 12 months. Now they are grown her DB is so much more intelligent than her. So, mums and dad’s, don’t think you have a child genius it is just children developing at different rates, generally they all catch up by 5.

LividLaughLove · 15/03/2019 17:19

@ChristinaMarlowe I would give money to see a Youtube video of that.

Sashkin · 15/03/2019 17:19

Talking in 3 word sentences at 6 months isn't as bonkers as the guy who can compute endless digits for sums

But it is, developmentally speaking. The understanding of language required to construct grammatically-correct sentences is something that many four year olds have difficulty with. But we are asked to believe that a five month old has skipped all the months of “me goes play” experimentation and grammar rules learning, and instead has arrived in the world with a fully formed innate sense of grammar. And can say letters that require teeth, despite having no teeth. It isn’t credible. Whereas parental over-attribution is perfectly credible, and most of us have done it!

And yes I know some kids will talk earlier and walk earlier than others, that’s not up for debate. Saying Mama at six months is entirely believable. It’s the “fully formed grammatically-correct multi-clause sentences at five months old” end of the spectrum which I don’t believe.

Ghanagirl · 15/03/2019 17:20

@Findingthingstough18

I do think that you can't both claim that it's 'just one of those things' and also that it's an 'achievement'?

I'm also not a huge fan of the people saying 'it was because we talked to them lots', as that comes a bit close to 'my baby is/was so exceptionally advanced because I was a wonderful mother'!
Exactly!
Health professional with two children spoke to them both read at bedtime etc (which is a good bonding thing to do)
But they both developed at their own pace.
I hate bragging competive parents as not only is it unhelpful it’s mostly untrue.
As for the poster who cursed at me for pointing this out she’s proving my point!!

Sashkin · 15/03/2019 17:23

@Livid me too, I suspect only his mother understood it as “excuse me I think I have a left ear infection” - what six month old understands the concept of infection? Ludicrous.

Guineapiglet345 · 15/03/2019 17:31

I used to do a baby signing class and I had to stop myself laughing out loud when they’d congratulate a 4 mounts old for signing something they couldn’t possibly understand like “friend” or having 50 signs! As if! the babies just wave their arms around and the parents see what they want to see!

ChristmasArmadillo · 15/03/2019 17:36

One of mine was a precocious talker ; definitely had several words at six months and spoke in clear sentences by one. Every doctor and speech pathologist she’s seen has reiterated how VERY abnormal this is. I can’t imagine all the babies in a FB group are doing it as well! We just like to think they’re communicating with us, I think.

BertrandRussell · 15/03/2019 17:42

One of mine said “nine” in response to any question involving numbers. We had huge fun making her look like a maths prodigy-you just had to make sure you asked the right question!

Watsername · 15/03/2019 17:44

Well, I know it won't be believed, but DS1 used 'oh dear' from 5 and a half months. The first time he said it was in a room full of mums and similar aged babies - he slipped on my lap and said 'oh dear' clear as day, much to everyone's shock. He carried on saying it in context (eg when he was sick, or slipped) from that day onwards. He was a very early talker!

His brother started to use words from 7 months.

It IS possible.

Ghanagirl · 15/03/2019 17:45

@ChristmasArmadillo
I’m sure they all think their infant is precocious...

NameChange607 · 15/03/2019 17:54

My DD weirdly said "hello" very clearly and in context at under 4 months. Really creepy actually! However I had said "say hello" so suspect it was repeating sounds rather than an actual word. It was to her grandparents though and they are now fully convinced she is a genius!

Sashkin · 15/03/2019 17:54

Again I have no problem believing in exclamations at a developmentally young age - DS used to dramatically sigh and roll his eyes from a young age, which he had definitely picked up from me. But that doesn’t require any grammatical knowledge, it is just copying what they’ve heard from us.

Still very funny and sweet (when DS was about 14mo we found him standing in the cot and carefully examining his stuffed toys in turn, saying “oh DEAR!” very seriously, then lobbing them across the room). But miles off self-diagnosing a left-sided middle ear infection and informing the GP of your findings, as the guy Christina linked to apparently did. And it’s that stuff which is bollocks.

newlyfrugal · 15/03/2019 17:59

*@BertrandRussell *
My dd has some very clear words understandable by people outside the family at 9 months. I have always regarded her as a freak of nature- I have never heard another child who could do that. She was talking properly at 17 months but not walking. She was very plump and we called her the “talking cottage loaf”

I'm howling at this!🤣🤣🤣 I'm imagining an almost Buddha like deity perched in the corner of your living room dishing out pearls of wisdom.

Love. Love. Love.

Bathbombs · 15/03/2019 18:09

My dd said ‘mummy’ really clearly at 3 months-obv not in context but was very obvious-quite creepy! 2 other people heard as well and we all looked at each other and said ‘did you hear that?!’
She was also able to make a a few animal noises when asked asked at around 5/6 months-pre weaning anyway.
Was speaking in sentences well before 2
But now entirely average at 9 so nothing that was a prediction of future genius!

bowchicawowwow · 15/03/2019 18:10

My eldest started talking at 7 months just as he was able to sit up and start pulling himself up on the furniture. He was walking by 9 months and you could walk him to the corner shop and back on reins by 10 months. Full conversation by a year old. Autism / Aspergers diagnosis at 5. My other two children were much more average with their milestones

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.