Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

...to sometimes give toddler DD the finger behind her back?

Legbreak · 21/06/2018 21:57

She definitely doesn’t see and it makes me feel better and is always at home, not out and about etc. My DSis thinks it’s appalling.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MariaMadita · 29/06/2018 19:49

no

Interesting comparison.

Is swearing comparable to breaking our wedding vows (and probably putting me and the LO at risk for STDS) in your opinion?

Please
or

nostaples · 29/06/2018 19:52

Maria, surely you can see that's not the point. Just because it's behind somebody's back does not mean it's OK. To many that's worse because you're being deceitful.

You would never use that line about any other wrong done to YOU so why is OK to take this attitude to a vulnerable person for whom you have responsibility, and supposedly, love and care.

Please
or

MariaMadita · 29/06/2018 20:03

I see what point you're trying to make, yes.

But you're unfortunately comparing two different things ("apples and oranges").

That's like asking whether I'd be ok with my husband murdering kittens behind my back (seeing as I wouldn't be too bothered by him mentally or silently swearing behient my back every once in a while.)

You would never use that line about any other wrong done to YOU

I would use that line if we were talking about someone swearing behind my back.

Please
or

SmileEachDay · 29/06/2018 20:06

Quite honestly, I wouldn’t care about someone swearing behind my back. ESP not in the pretty good humoured way we are talking about here.

But we’re back to nuance again, and we’ve established that you’re not a fan, no.

Please
or

nostaples · 29/06/2018 20:15

I suspect some of you have so dug yourselves into the argument that you're unwilling to admit you'd be pretty upset if you turned round to find your husband or your mother giving you the finger to make himself feel better.

Most people would be upset by this.

Please
or

SmileEachDay · 29/06/2018 20:20

no

I wouldn’t. Because we aren’t talking about an act of extreme aggression. In fact, I’m pretty sure my sister, or my bff have done exactly that.

You are failing to understand what is being communicated- it’s a good humoured eye rolling kind of thing. But you’re completely entrenched in your black af white position. That’s ok though. You’re entitled to your view, your perspective.

Please
or

Shockers · 29/06/2018 20:23

If it was done with humour, it wouldn’t bother me from someone who loves me.

We’re all different.

Please
or

MariaMadita · 29/06/2018 20:25

No, I wouldn't.

Please
or

merlotmummy14 · 29/06/2018 20:27

Confession: have a 3 month old and when she cries while I'm changing her I say in the most soothing loving baby-ish tone of voice "if you think there's no orphanage out there who won't take You, you're wrong! Yes, you are!" My voice calms her down enough to stop crying (sometimes she even laughs at me) and she doesn't know what I'm actually saying (I hope)

Please
or

speakout · 29/06/2018 20:45

So if you were at a party and turned around to see your OH giving you the middle finger behind your back while some of other guests were seeing the "funny" side that would be fine?

If you think that is OK then you have some serious self esteem issues.

Because many of the guests would be cringing in their shoes wondering why you put up with such abuse.

Please
or

Shockers · 29/06/2018 20:56

I thought the point of the action was that it was done in private to relieve frustration, rather than to humiliate or get a laugh in public.

Please
or

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed · 29/06/2018 21:22

nostaples I am not naive enough to think that no one has stuck their finger up at my behind my back

I’m sure it’s happened on quite a few occasions

It’s not something I dwell on as I know at times I may annoy others

Please
or

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed · 29/06/2018 21:23

Grin I meant at me

Not at my behind Blush

Please
or

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed · 29/06/2018 21:27

It is Shockers

But apparently comparable to having an affair you know becuase it’s done behind someone’s back Confused

Please
or

KappaKappa · 29/06/2018 21:38

Happy Kappa?!

Thrilled Smile

Please
or

BeeCool · 21/05/2021 20:47

I often roll my eyes and mutter "ffs" and my dc aren't even toddlers!

Please
or

NakedBanana · 22/05/2021 00:52

Just be careful if they have a sibling and they catch you doing it! Which may happen. If you do it. Which I don't!!

Why would I do it with 2 fucking know it all teenagers in the house ;)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.