My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be annoyed there's a random man in my garden painting the fence at 7am!

350 replies

GetOutOfMYGarden · 29/07/2017 07:41

I'm a 25 year old woman living alone with two dogs in a terraced house. All houses in the row have an individual garden both in the back and front. I rent, most other people in the row own their house.

Next door has recently decided to renovate their back garden, including installing an (ugly) garage in there, building higher fences and a built in kennel for their three dogs. Wasn't bothered about any of this. To be honest I don't particularly like them that much so I don't mind not seeing them Grin

I came home from an overnight shift today at 7am. Parked behind my back gate as usual and found a random man on a stepladder in my garden painting the fence with Cuprinol! My other neighbour had let my dogs out in the garden at 6:30am for me as she always does when I'm on nights (lovely 89 year old lady who's recently been widowed, I pop in with dinner about twice a week for her and generally check she's okay since she's too depressed to cook for herself atm, her family can't be around every day and so she insists on doing this to 'repay' me) so they were milling around in there happily sniffing at his ladder (lucky I don't rely on them being guard dogs, isn't it!). Oddly enough, they haven't attempted this with the neighbour on the other side of them who has a massive Boerboel in the garden. Neighbours knew I was out for a night shift since they made a bit of conversation when I was leaving last night in my uniform and my car wasn't there. I'm usually back at about 9am but my shifts has ended early

Confronted him and asked who he was, he said the neighbours doing the garden renovations had said I'd given him permission to come into my garden and paint that side of the party fence. Pointed out that I clearly haven't as the gate was double locked and the dogs were out! Tells me 'sorry I thought you'd forgot so I hopped the fence, oh well love let me finish and I'll get out, you'll have to speak to [male neighbour]'. I told him certainly not and to get the fuck out of my garden now before I called the police. Told him that misled by my neighbour or not, I'm telling him right then and there that he had no permission to be in there.

Once he was out of the garden and I'd locked my gate properly again, I went round to knock on the neighbours' front door and ask what the fuck they're playing at. No answer, although they were definitely in, I could hear CBeebies blasted through the wall to my living room for their DS and their cars were all in their usual parking spots. I went upstairs for a wee (bursting at this point Blush) and through the bathroom window I could hear the male neighbour, female neighbour and the painter in his garden bitching about me, calling me a rude bitch! I shouted down mid wee that no, I wasn't, and asked if it was okay for me to come in his bloody garden without permission! No answer to that one.

Neighbours won't answer the door to speak about it and I'm tired after a night shift and I don't feel I can go to sleep until this is sorted lest this cheeky man hop my fence again Sad To be honest if they'd asked and had it done on a day I was in, I'd have given them permission!

OP posts:
Scrumptiousbears · 29/07/2017 07:47

It amazes me how neighbours don't inform each other of potential noise/upheaval of work being done. It's. It acceptable for them to let the workman in your garden but clearly workman thought permission had been granted so it's not his fault. A simple can you leave please would have been sufficient rather

Scrumptiousbears · 29/07/2017 07:48

Sorry clicked too soon.

Rather than a fuck off.

Would you have given access if they had asked?

FrancisCrawford · 29/07/2017 07:48

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wowfudge · 29/07/2017 07:49

Did you really tell him to 'get the fuck out' of your garden? That was rude when he thought he had permission to be there.

Branleuse · 29/07/2017 07:51

I'd think that was really nice of them if it needed doing. Cuprinol is wood protection isn't it. Not really painting it. I think whilst obviously you have the legal right, you've completely overreacted

Branleuse · 29/07/2017 07:51

I'd think that was really nice of them if it needed doing. Cuprinol is wood protection isn't it. Not really painting it. I think whilst obviously you have the legal right, you've completely overreacted

honeysucklejasmine · 29/07/2017 07:51

Why on earth would they even want to paint your side of the fence?

GetOutOfMYGarden · 29/07/2017 07:52

Told him to get the fuck out after he refused to leave after I told him to. Asked him politely, then he said no and to go speak to my neighbour about it and refused to move after being asked again. If my dogs had knocked him off his ladder, guess who'd have been legally liable?

Access would have been given if they'd asked, I've done things in the past like letting them borrow my parking space for a white van to go there while they built the garage and large fence.

OP posts:
kittybiscuits · 29/07/2017 07:53

You were exactly right. Completely unacceptable not to ask permission.

sleepseeker99 · 29/07/2017 07:53

CFN's everywhere! Can you call your landlord to let them now what's happening? Sounds like you have been very clear they can't have access right now so I wouldn't worry about sorting it right now. If you spoke with them now it would likely be a heated conversation and maybe not helpful.

Why would they want to paint your side?! Can they see it? Maybe the landlord gave permission?( not that they can as you live there but might explain!)

guiltynetter · 29/07/2017 07:54

Even though he shouldn't have just come in without permission...he thought he did have permission (the neighbours told him he did) so you were pretty rude to tell him to 'get the fuck out' bit of an overreaction!

honestly if somebody painted my fence for free i'd be delighted!

Ktown · 29/07/2017 07:55

I'd have used less inflammatory language. I wouldn't be answering the door either now.
I would be delighted if someone painted my fence though!

GetOutOfMYGarden · 29/07/2017 07:59

I'll ship him off to paint all of your fences then. He's staying out of my garden until my neighbour has the balls to answer the door.

OP posts:
Believeitornot · 29/07/2017 07:59

Your language was unnecessary and immediately puts you in a bad light regardless of whether or not they were in the wrong. So yes, you were rude. As I tell my kids, rudeness is not an excuse for rudeness. It sounds like you'd started swearing straight away!

eurochick · 29/07/2017 07:59

They should have asked permission but your side of the fence will probably look horrible unstained - stain from their side will dribble through.

Note3 · 29/07/2017 08:00

I think you've over reacted but they were very rude not to let you know what they intended and arrange for access

millsbynight · 29/07/2017 08:01

It's absolutely not okay that your neighbour granted permission to the painter to hop the fence to your garden, especially with your dogs out. That would make me angry. But I think you shouting at them while on the loo was a bit much and no wonder they don't want to answer the door when you knock.

Get your landlord to sort it out.

NurseButtercup · 29/07/2017 08:03

You're right to be annoyed, if you was living with your DH/DP they wouldn't have done this. But I think you've missed an opportunity to get your fence painted for free! It is one if the most tedious and boring chore's! I would have let him carry on and plied him with tea & biscuits in order to question him about the other work they have asked him to do.

DirtyChaiLatte · 29/07/2017 08:04

As a young woman living on her own, I definitely wouldn't be happy or feel safe with some random (to me), uninvited man trespassing in my garden.

YANBU.

upperlimit · 29/07/2017 08:08

YANBU. I'd phoned your landlord/ letting agent and let them know what is happening.

I wonder if the intention was to paint all the fence panels in your garden or just the one on the party line? Was it the same colour as the others?

DirtyChaiLatte · 29/07/2017 08:09

Wow, I'm surprised at a lot of these replies from people.

I'm my opinion trespassing on someone's property is way way worse than telling them to get off your land no matter what language was used.

Maybe it's BECAUSE she has been so nice and obliging in the past that they think they can take advantage now and take the piss.

GetOutOfMYGarden · 29/07/2017 08:10

Just called Landlord. She's on her way, she's been in small claims court over this fence with them because they've insisted she pay for half when they built it without her permission.

I may have been rude, but I've been on a long night shift that they've known about because they asked about it as I left last night. Can't help but feel that painters aren't usually working at 7am, but this one just so happens to be on a day they think I'm out until 9am. I've never argued with them before this.

OP posts:
HaudYerWheeshtBawbag · 29/07/2017 08:10

I just don't get the issue tbh, he's painting a fence not setting of fire works or digging holes in the garden to plant bombs.

It's a fricking fence that would have taken a maximum of 2 hours to paint, no wonder society is an absolute mess.

HaudYerWheeshtBawbag · 29/07/2017 08:12

He didn't refuse to leave you garden he asked if he could continue and to speak to neighbour.

That's not refusing he's just trying to finish the job.

This just simply would not bother me.

TheMaddHugger · 29/07/2017 08:17

(((((Hugs))))))) OP. you are NOT being unreasonable

If he fell in your yard You would have been liable.
And that situation is Bullshite

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.