My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not answer the door if I don't want to?

266 replies

Meowstro · 21/07/2017 10:43

Just that really. I don't answer the door (on a busy road) unless I'm expecting a parcel or someone to pop in which would have been arranged or they can call once there. I don't even pretend I'm not in, I just don't care. AIBU?

OP posts:
VimFuego101 · 21/07/2017 10:46

YANBU, it's a door knock not a summons.

MyheartbelongstoG · 21/07/2017 10:48

Why won't you answer the door?

PuppyMonkey · 21/07/2017 10:49

I'm not sure. I think I'd be too curious to not at least go and have a look.

PuppyMonkey · 21/07/2017 10:50

Lol at not a summons. Grin

bigchris · 21/07/2017 10:51

I'm the same

It's usually peolle wanting me to have my drive paved or my trees trimmed

Meowstro · 21/07/2017 10:51

I live on a busy road, if I'm not expecting anyone and have no debts...I don't see why I need to. Can't think of a single reason why I'd want to engage with a random person knocking that wouldn't suffice with a note popped through the door if it were important.

OP posts:
DrHorribletookmycherry · 21/07/2017 10:51

I'm the same. Unless it's expected or around the time of the post I'll ignore it.

ImperialBlether · 21/07/2017 10:51

I've never known anyone IRL who doesn't answer their door. It's only on MN that people are so averse to it. Just open the door, ffs! See who it is and send them on their way if you don't want to talk to them.

GladAllOver · 21/07/2017 10:52

Your door, your choice whether to open it.

Of course there is a slight chance that a serious situation has occurred and the police need to contact you. But that's the risk you have chosen to take.

Flatt7 · 21/07/2017 10:52

Yanbu, but a bit strange imo o.0 You don't have any friends that just pop round? ETTO I guess.

bigchris · 21/07/2017 10:53

Usually when I'm home I'm wearing pjs

Once opened the door to a sch mum friend, it was awkward as it was 2 in the afternoon

WaspsAreBastards · 21/07/2017 10:55

YANBU. I can't stand folk turning up unannounced.

PuppyMonkey · 21/07/2017 11:00

It might be someone telling you there's a fire in an upstairs bedroom. Or announcing you've won £1 million but you have to open the door to claim it.

It could be Andy Peters off GMTV ffs. Grin

Jellybean85 · 21/07/2017 11:02

In response to the police suggestion though the one time the police knocked my door (my car had been broken into) they shouted very clearly through the letterbox "please open the door, it is the police"

No ambiguity Grin

There's been a spate of attacks near my house lately with a child knocking at the door then adults bursting in and robbing when the door is open so currently I wouldn't open mine in the evening/night

Trb17 · 21/07/2017 11:07

I'm a big door ignorer myself. Unless it's post or an expected visitor, then the only options are charity collectors, driveway installers or religious word spreading... none of which I fancy having a chat about.

YANBU. No law says you have to answer your door (unless it's police then maybe lolGrin)

Toysaurus · 21/07/2017 11:10

I don't open my door. Unless it's post or I'm expecting someone. We live in a well dodgy area so it's for the best. First night I lived here someone knocked on my door at 12am. Ignored. They started hammering, so I tiptoed up and looked out the spy hole. It was the police. They started shouting open the door. They had the wrong address but they didn't fuck around announcing themselves.

paulapantsdown · 21/07/2017 11:10

How weird?! You are so averse to any interaction with other humans? Just answer the door and say no thanks ffs!

Do people actually have to make an appointment with you in order to speak to you?

comedycentral · 21/07/2017 11:16

There have been a few knock and smash in incidents in my area during the day recently. It doesn't put me off answering the door but I do check through the window before I open.

Amee1992x · 21/07/2017 11:21

I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting a parcel. If someone hasn't text or called to say they are popping round the door is locked

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo · 21/07/2017 11:22

What if it's an unexpected parcel though?

JennyOnAPlate · 21/07/2017 11:23

I've decided to stop answering mine op so yanbu! In the last few weeks I've had jehovas witnesses, a man wanting us to sign up for veg boxes, a very pushy milkman touting for business, an Avon lady and a man telling me I must replace my guttering immediately lest it fall off Hmm

From now on I'm only answering to the post man!

TonicAndTonic · 21/07/2017 11:24

I'll always have a good look through the spy hole before opening the door - we get lots of charity collectors, the odd group of religious door-knockers and of course double glazing salespeople. I just really can't be arsed opening the door just to tell them I'm not interested. If whoever it is isn't obviously after money/converts then I'll generally hear them out.

ParanoidBeryl · 21/07/2017 11:25

You can get GSM doorbells that ring your mobile, so you can speak to however it is on your mobile before deciding to open the door. We have it on our gates and it's fab.

It also means that if anyone calls when you are out of the house, they won't necessarily know that you aren't in IYKWIM? Very handy for deliveries.

this sort of thing

ParanoidBeryl · 21/07/2017 11:26

You could also get a 'no cold callers please' sign beside your bell, although that might just encourage them.

aurynne · 21/07/2017 11:27

When I lived in the UK I once knocked at a neighbours' door to let them know there was water spilling from their broken roof drain into their garage. I could see they were home. They didn't open the door. I left them to it. I had a giggle that night trying to guess at which point in time they would find their garage flooded.

Seems to be a British thing, not opening the door.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.