My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not answer the door if I don't want to?

266 replies

Meowstro · 21/07/2017 10:43

Just that really. I don't answer the door (on a busy road) unless I'm expecting a parcel or someone to pop in which would have been arranged or they can call once there. I don't even pretend I'm not in, I just don't care. AIBU?

OP posts:
KathArtic · 21/07/2017 11:59

Yes I ignor the door and the telephone.

NotLachsAgainMother · 21/07/2017 11:59

Ur door, ur rulez hun Wink.

Slimthistime · 21/07/2017 12:00

Yanbu
Neighbours are same, they'd text if they needed to pop in. I do look through the spy hole, someone might be locked out or something, but if I don't know them, it's not a delivery, they can eff off.

Do those people asking you to switch utility suppliers still come round or did that get stopped?

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 · 21/07/2017 12:00

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't answer the door for the same reason I don't answer the phone: anxiety.

HeyRoly · 21/07/2017 12:01

I think answering the door is just a basic part of being a functioning adult.

Sure, sometimes it's something deeply annoying like the Jevovah's Witnesses or someone selling double glazing, but the idea that you just don't because you're not expecting someone is Grin

Some people can be so weird!

MimsyFluff · 21/07/2017 12:02

I don't answer my door to JW but the kids wave through the window Grin and I don't answer to door to door sales. Why would I? It's a waste of my time JW are nuts no blood transfusions and door to door sales are been paid

LadyLapsang · 21/07/2017 12:04

I do answer the door and so do my neigbours, glad I live in a community where people speak to each other and help each other.

Ropsleybunny · 21/07/2017 12:05

My front door is not an open invitation to anyone who happens by. Having said that, I do usually answer it.

SlothMama · 21/07/2017 12:08

If I am working from home and the door goes I check the CCTV because it's in the office if it's cold callers or JW I'm not answering. Having a camera is great lets me work in peace!

Squarerouteofsquirrel · 21/07/2017 12:08

There are some very strange folk on here. People that won't answer doors, people that won't make a journey up one flight of stairs to tell their neighbours a parcel has arrived wtf?

If you don't want cold callers, perhaps stick a note on your door to let people know.

Otherwise, it could be an emergency and someone is desperately trying to contact you, emergencies don't make appointments.

Just read your post catneuterer it so sad that people will just let animals suffer like that, its great what you are doing.

Witsender · 21/07/2017 12:10

I don't, unless I am expecting a parcel or a guest, or I really feel like it.

Likewise I screen calls/don't answer and have my mobile on silent a lot.

I'm not a massive fan of chatting tbh.

Applesandpears23 · 21/07/2017 12:10

When I lived in a second floor flat I just used to open the window and call down. This made it much easier to deal with JWs and if it was a genuine caller it was easy enogh to pop down.

Lweji · 21/07/2017 12:16

I just don't get the issue of being a busy road.

Do you get many people just ringing for the sake of it, because they are passing by? Grin

You never know who's knocking. It could be a neighbour trying to talk about something important.
It's easy enough to get rid of anyone we're not interested in, and to answer the door if we're not busy.

NotLachsAgainMother · 21/07/2017 12:18

Lweji I can't speak for others, but once or twice a week we have someone ring our doorbell just for the hell of it. We're on a busy road and I guess it's often kids mucking about. It's really annoying to come running downstairs for nothing (block of flats).

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 · 21/07/2017 12:19

It's easy enough to get rid of anyone we're not interested in, and to answer the door if we're not busy.

Being easy for you does not mean it's easy for everyone.

insancerre · 21/07/2017 12:22

I can't imagine not answering the door
I think it's weird
So yabu

Lweji · 21/07/2017 12:22

Really?

"Sorry, not interested." Shut door.

Unless you have specific stranger anxiety, it shouldn't be hard.

Also, getting down the stairs is only good exercise for you. Wink

GrandDesespoir · 21/07/2017 12:25

YANBU. I hate people turning up unexpectedly. I don't even always answer the phone.

OverTheHammer · 21/07/2017 12:26

YANBU - I wish I didn't answer the door as often as I do, yesterday it was a bloke from Ringtons trying to convince me to buy some "special" t-bags. I found myself justifying why I didn't want them!! Shouldn't have to waste my time justifying my decision not to be buy something on my own doorstep. Pisses me right off and it shouldn't be allowed.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 · 21/07/2017 12:26

Really?

"Sorry, not interested." Shut door.

Unless you have specific stranger anxiety, it shouldn't be hard.

Really.

As mentioned up thread, I do have anxiety. Hence my door and my phone never get answered to anything unexpected (door) or unrecognised (phone).

NellieFiveBellies · 21/07/2017 12:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lostmysignal · 21/07/2017 12:36

I don't answer the door if I don't want to. I go bright red when the door bell rings. What is that about?!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Lweji · 21/07/2017 12:37

As mentioned up thread, I do have anxiety.

Did I miss something? Are you the OP?

NotLachsAgainMother · 21/07/2017 12:40

Also, getting down the stairs is only good exercise for you.

I'll do it when I want to thanks, not at random intervals during a good film or when cooking dinner Hmm

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 · 21/07/2017 12:40

Did I miss something? Are you the OP?

Nope.

But you should be mindful of the fact that what you find easy could be exceptionally hard for other people, for various reasons.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.