Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


Moving into boyfriends house, ok to ask for 10% of the house increasing each year

161 replies

User1234567889 · 13/07/2017 09:39

Boyfriend owns his house outright. I'm planning to move in and we will split all the bills 50 / 50. As there is no mortgage there are no housing costs for either of us.

What do you think about asking for 10% of the house in the case that we break up and this going up 5% for every year we live together until it caps off at 50%? No children together yet but I want to be protected and not end up with nothing.

OP posts:

Tofutti · 13/07/2017 09:41

YABU. You'll be living rent free! Can't believe you'd even ask ๐Ÿ˜ฒ


Tofutti · 13/07/2017 09:42

Save the rent money you would be paying elsewhere and buy your own place as an investment buy to let.


TheBakeryQueen · 13/07/2017 09:42

I'm not sure what I think about this really.

Could you save what you would otherwise be spending on a mortgage/rent so you have your own nest egg in the event of a split?

Good idea to plan it out now though before having children!


Mrskeats · 13/07/2017 09:43

Is this a joke?


Bluerose27 · 13/07/2017 09:43

It might be more reasonable for you to put what you're saving in rent into an account for yourself and build up a lump sum in case you break up?


MaudGonneMad · 13/07/2017 09:43

Why exactly do you think you are entitled to this?


Roystonv · 13/07/2017 09:44

Wow, really? Sorry need to go away and think of some supporting points.


BritInUS1 · 13/07/2017 09:44

YABU save up, get a rental x


Angrybird123 · 13/07/2017 09:44

No way. If you are not paying rent even how can you possibly claim to have any kind of claim on the house that he has bought outright before you came along? Bills etc are just paying for what you use as you go along. I agree with pp that you should use the money you save to invest in a place of your own and rent it out.v


anchor9 · 13/07/2017 09:45

but you haven't paid anything towards the ownership of the house?! and you are living rent free?!


good luck though.. you never know he might be smitten enough Grin ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ


nauticant · 13/07/2017 09:45

User1234567889. Oh, right.


teacher54321 · 13/07/2017 09:45

Put away in a savings account what your old rent was and when you've got a deposit get a buy to let.


JohnLapsleyParlabane · 13/07/2017 09:45

That doesn't sound fair. Save your 'rent money' and buy a buy to let.


alltalknobaby · 13/07/2017 09:45



user1471462428 · 13/07/2017 09:45

Buy your own house!! Can't believe how cheeky you are. To pay no mortgage or rent but to expect a stake. Paying 50% of bills will allow you to save well for a deposit of your own. He owes you nothing. We are in the same position, however, I don't ask for bill money but he buys food. If he thought he'd get a stake in my house it would end our relationship.


SuburbanRhonda · 13/07/2017 09:45

Are you planning to do some major work yourself on the house, OP? If not, I'd count yourself lucky you're living somewhere with no housing costs and leave it at that.


UserThenLotsOfNumbers · 13/07/2017 09:45

Confused I don't think that's how it works OP...


ExPresidents · 13/07/2017 09:46

Why on earth would you be entitled to any part of a house, to which you have contributed absolutely nothing financially?

It would be entirely different if you were a SAHM giving up a career to facilitate your partner's earning power, but you are working, capable of earning money and you have put nothing at all into the house.

You want to be 'protected' - from what? Having to fund your own lifestyle one day?

If you want to look after your own financial wellbeing then put the rent/mortgage money you're saving into an account to buy your own house one day.


frenchfancy · 13/07/2017 09:46

And would you pay him 10% of any loss if the house price goes down? YABVU. You should save your rent money if you think you might split up in the future. Otherwise you should use the rent money for the upkeep of the house.


rightwhine · 13/07/2017 09:47

It might be ok to ask for 50% of the increase in value from now on but you can't ask for any of the value of the house as it is now. That's his and if I was him I would be protecting that. It could change with kids but you putting forward that proposition now would make me run for the hills.

Buy a btl of your own.


fuckwitery · 13/07/2017 09:47

Now I've heard everything!!

Yes. YABVU. As pp suggest. Save the money you would have spent on rent each month and buy a flat if you want your own security.


zippey · 13/07/2017 09:47

If u were paying rent, then maybe, but as you are living rent free, then it is unreasonable and selfish.


Figaro2017 · 13/07/2017 09:47

I think if I was your boyfriend I would be protecting my own future and telling you not to move in.


Steeley113 · 13/07/2017 09:47

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheVanguardSix · 13/07/2017 09:47

Build your own nest egg. Don't piggyback off of his. You're an independent person.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?