Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Sainsburys health & safety rules

286 replies

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:35

So it was a really hot day and Ineeded to have a quick nip round our local Sainsbury's the other day with DS age 4 who had just woken up....He likes to sit in the big basket. But is too big for the baby seat. He helps me unpack the shopping...

Making him walk round the supermarket when he's hot and tired is a nightmare so I let him hop in.

I'm pushing the trolley it's not overloaded, we have a nice chat and get what we need.

I get to the guy on the check out and this conversation unfolds:

"Hi how are you?"... "children are not allowed in the trolleys" he informs me... "right fine thanks for letting me know - can I have some bags please?".... "it's health and safety in case they hurt themselves" ... " yes well he's fine and its a nightmare to go shopping with him otherwise "

The man kept looking at he like I'd murdered someone and grumpily took my money from me. I thanked him very politely and went ok my way...

I couldn't help thinking that this is a ridiculous rule? The trolley is not going to tip up, I'm not going to put my child in danger, the food is not touching the trolley where he's sitting..... I spend a lot of money with Sainsbury's, as do lots of parents - why are they trying to make life harder (1st world problem I realise)

Hmm Was IBU?

OP posts:
Addley · 16/06/2017 09:36

Yes. It's not safe to sit in the trolley and the member of staff was right to tell you that.

Sirzy · 16/06/2017 09:37

A no children sat in the trolley - other than in the seats - rule is pretty standard isn't it!?

People choose to ignore it that's all.

RainbowPastel · 16/06/2017 09:37

It's for safety reasons. A 4 year old doesn't need to be pushed in a trolkey any way.

ViolentDelights · 16/06/2017 09:37

Yes ywbu. This has been a rule since at least the early 90s when I was a child. Have you never noticed the warnings on the trolley handle?

WishingIDidnot · 16/06/2017 09:39

What about all the dog shit/ mud/ muck off his trainers touching the bottom of the trolley where people's food is going to be placed?

TheWhiteRoseOfYork · 16/06/2017 09:39

I must admit I don't like to see it. I think that the next person using the trolley has no idea that a DC has been in there, with his shoes on. It is not very hygienic.

PortiaCastis · 16/06/2017 09:41

Trolleys do tip and why should your ds have his arse and shoes where other people are going to put their food

BeepBeepMOVE · 16/06/2017 09:41

YABU!

He's four! Why are his dirty feet in the bit where food is going? He walks on the same dog pissy pavements as the rest of us.

Bet you let him stand on tube seats too!

OhDearToby · 16/06/2017 09:41

It's a pretty standard rule across all supermarkets.

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:42

Nope never read the trolley handle.

Wow thanks for the speedy replies 👍🏼

Do you all follow every rule all the time wherever you are? Even if you think they're a bit silly?

Not trying to wind you up am just interested... under what circumstances would you break a rule?

OP posts:
SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:42

He doesn't stand on tube seats.

OP posts:
Racmactac · 16/06/2017 09:42

But if he falls and hurts himself and Sainsbury's haven't told you then you will probably sue them.
He's 4 fgs make him walk.

flownthecoopkiwi · 16/06/2017 09:43

i put my children in trolleys... runs

ParadiseLaundry · 16/06/2017 09:43

' Do you all follow every rule all the time wherever you are? Even if you think they're a bit silly?'

This is Mumsnet, of course they do!

Addley · 16/06/2017 09:43

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any safety rules I break when I'm out and about.

DuggeeHugs · 16/06/2017 09:44

Whilst I understand how much easier this is, YABU. Most trolleys have pictures on the handle/far end showing that riding in the basket area isn't allowed. He was right to remind you and whilst your food wasn't touching him, the next person will use the trolley not knowing someone's been in there.

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:44

Who on earth puts food directly on to the bottom of the trolley?
There was no poo on his shoes.
He was sitting down.

OP posts:
WishingIDidnot · 16/06/2017 09:45

It's not the 'safety' bit. I think he's pretty safe if it's a deep one but it's the dirty shoes that would stop me from doing it.

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:47

He does walk when not hit and tired. I needed to shop & was trying to avoid a tantrum.

Lol @ flownrhecoopkiwi

OP posts:
LoveMyLittleSuperhero · 16/06/2017 09:47

The trolley is not going to tip up They can and do.
I'm not going to put my child in danger but you were, besides the risk of tipping they can stand and fall out, it isn't secure.
the food is not touching the trolley where he's sitting no but the next persons food probably will.

Also since when is right fine thanks for letting me know and not taking action, the correct response to finding out you are breaking health and safety? This is a standard rule across all supermarkets, it's done for your childs protection and hygiene reasons not to "make things difficult". Hmm

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:47

What if he took his shoes off next time would that be ok?

OP posts:
whoisA · 16/06/2017 09:47

Sometimes I put my 8 year old in the trolley if she's kicking off.
I have to get stuff and I'm a single working mum.

Dentistlakes · 16/06/2017 09:47

There's no need for a 4yo to be in a trolley. The rules are there because there have been incidents where children have been injured. Yes, I follow rules even if they seem a bit daft to me because I'm not arrogant enough to think I know everything and I can just do as I please. Rules aren't put in place to annoy people. They are there to protect you.

Sirzy · 16/06/2017 09:48

Ahh so it's one of those AIBU where you are sure your not and ignore everyone who says you are anyway! Never see the point of starting them.

whoisA · 16/06/2017 09:48

Also all food is in packets, it's been countless places before being put in a trolley.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.