Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Sainsburys health & safety rules

286 replies

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:35

So it was a really hot day and Ineeded to have a quick nip round our local Sainsbury's the other day with DS age 4 who had just woken up....He likes to sit in the big basket. But is too big for the baby seat. He helps me unpack the shopping...

Making him walk round the supermarket when he's hot and tired is a nightmare so I let him hop in.

I'm pushing the trolley it's not overloaded, we have a nice chat and get what we need.

I get to the guy on the check out and this conversation unfolds:

"Hi how are you?"... "children are not allowed in the trolleys" he informs me... "right fine thanks for letting me know - can I have some bags please?".... "it's health and safety in case they hurt themselves" ... " yes well he's fine and its a nightmare to go shopping with him otherwise "

The man kept looking at he like I'd murdered someone and grumpily took my money from me. I thanked him very politely and went ok my way...

I couldn't help thinking that this is a ridiculous rule? The trolley is not going to tip up, I'm not going to put my child in danger, the food is not touching the trolley where he's sitting..... I spend a lot of money with Sainsbury's, as do lots of parents - why are they trying to make life harder (1st world problem I realise)

Hmm Was IBU?

OP posts:
FrancisCrawford · 17/06/2017 21:11

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LockedOutOfMN · 17/06/2017 21:13

Mexxi
The check out bloke is my new hero. I hate seeing kids in trolleys. YWBU for allowing your child to ride in the trolley.

This.

OP wbvu.

picklemepopcorn · 17/06/2017 22:29

Grumpbum Grin

Love how people come on saying how many accidents they've seen, but the know bests carry on because, well, they know best!

Northgate · 17/06/2017 23:53

pickle it'll be because these accidents are things that only happen to other people's children.

zoemaguire · 18/06/2017 00:01

If people are concerned about shoes on the bottom of trolleys, I suggest that you not shop in supermarkets at all, in fact you might need to go totally self-sufficient.. Have you got any idea how much crap the food must collect on the floors of warehouses etc etc? Also, almost all food is in packages, and if it isn't - well, surely you all wash your fruit and veg before eating it?!

catloony · 18/06/2017 00:21

After one poor elderly man broke his hip and subsequently died when a child tipped the trolley on top of him

I've already said I've seen numerous accidents where the child in the trolley has been severely injured but this should make you think again about your selfish attitude (everyone that does it, not just the OP) - it really does only take the child to stand up, shift their weight to make the trolley tip over, and this could happen again.

Honestly when you've seen it happen, it's awful.

People say but my child sits nicely, it literally can go over with just a little comfort shuffle from the child - I've seen it happen.

All the comments about "I risk assessed it because I've never seen it happen" you are wrong! It does happen, there are loads of posters on here saying they have seen it

GoodyGoodyGumdrops · 18/06/2017 01:30

It's a rule that has always puzzled me. Trolleys are outdoors in all weather, have food put loose in them, meat juices drip on them, no doubt cats and squirrels climb over them, and are never cleaned. I doubt kids' shoes make them any grubbier.

I have never seen a trolley tip with a child in the basket, whereas I've twice seen trolleys tip over with a child in the seat. Straight over onto the handle, child face-down on the floor. Terrifying and horrific. So I'm not convinced by the 'safety' argument, either.

StupidSlimyGit · 18/06/2017 10:23

why all the anger about something that doesn't concern you and really doesn't have any impact on you

I'm a first aider in a supermarket, it does concern me and it certainly has an impact on me. I'm trained to help if something goes wrong and I always will, but phoning an ambulance for an unconscious or severely injured child, trying to help them and keep their parents calm, filling in all of the paperwork and gathering the CCTV of the incident afterwards so I have to watch the poor kid get injured is genuinely upsetting, especially when it's an injury that could so easily have been avoided. It also has an impact on all of my colleagues and the other customers who witness the injury occur, the cleaner who has to sort everything out afterwards, the ambulance staff who have to come help, the hospital staff who take care of your child, your work colleagues if you need time off to look after your child after the injury, the person waiting for an ambulance who has to wait longer because your child needed it because you new best. All those people are affected, and the effect on them can have a knock on effect on their friends and family. The staff member who saw it happen has a panic attack and has to go home from work, her wages are short that month... You see where I'm going with this.
That's without considering the impact on anyone else actually involved in the incident itself, your trolley or child could land on an elderly/frail/young person and cause them injury as someone has already said they have witnessed.
It isn't just your childs life that could be derailed but everyone around you as well, all for the sake of making your life easier because you don't need to teach your child to walk round a supermarket nicely, but yes you "know best".

Fluffyears · 18/06/2017 14:06

Working in retail in a previous life means shoe dirt doesn't bother me. You know there are rats in the warehouses, the trucks that your gods come to have people climbing onto the surface food sits on in manly boots. People touch the food on shelves and may not have washed hands after the loo etc. I have seen accidents with children falling and it's entirely avoidable and the injuries are worse than if someone ran into them accidentally.

I also hate heeelies and children hurtling about shops in these should be thrown out. It is a supermarket not a fucking playground.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 · 18/06/2017 14:12

You know there are rats in the warehouses,

My DH works in a big name supermarket and there are certainly no rats in the warehouses else they'd get shut down.

bobblyorangerug · 18/06/2017 14:13

I have done when my daughter was too big for the child seat but not quite keeping up with walking around. (Age approx 3 - 3.5)

Trolleys are hardly the height of cleanliness anyway. Outside in all weather, raw meat that might dribble through packaging etc. Food is generally packaged in some way anyway so not usually touching the actual trolley.

The warnings are there on the handle, it's upto parents to weigh up risks IMO unless the size of the child could damage the trolley.

SandmanSlim · 18/06/2017 14:16

Another vote for Sainsbury's man here. I have to have the same discussion every time we see someone doing it with my daughter. It's dangerous, she's not doing it, I don't care what other children are stupidly allowed to do, I'd rather she didn't crack her head open thanks. I've seen in happen, it was horrid.

YouTheCat · 18/06/2017 14:23

I want to know at what point some people are going to teach their children appropriate supermarket behaviour?

I saw a girl of about 8 sitting in a trolley yesterday. She did not appear to be anxious, was having a chat to her parent. I see no reason why she couldn't either walk or, if she had additional needs, why they couldn't use one of the trolleys with the large seat that the supermarket provides.

supermoon100 · 18/06/2017 14:33

I used to do it loads! All my kids survived intact. Whatever gets you through the day!

Addley · 18/06/2017 14:40

I used to inhale butane straight from the can to get me through the day and I survived just fine Grin

supermoon100 · 18/06/2017 14:57

Mmm sure you're not addled addley?

FrancisCrawford · 18/06/2017 14:59

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Addley · 18/06/2017 16:05

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?!

No, it's the point going right over supermoon's head.

Well done for pointing out the bleedin' obvious joke in my name, BTW 😂😂

The point is that getting away with something risky doesn't mean it wasn't risky.

WeAllHaveWings · 18/06/2017 16:11

It isn't law, but they are allowed to try to stop poor parenting resulting in children getting injured on their premises. Telling you "children aren't allowed in trolleys" isn't rude, I would have followed it with a firm "can you remove him from the trolley now" if I worked there.

You don't realise how heavy a trolley is until you try to lift one and having seen (and heard!) how easily and quickly an unbalanced trolley topples over with a heavy 4 year old child inside, their fingers being caught underneath and their head hitting the shop floor, it worries me every time I see a child in one.

RandomlyGenerated · 18/06/2017 16:32

Actually, it sort of is the law, as supermarkets have a statutory duty to protect the health, safety and welfare of visitors to their premises.

supermoon100 · 18/06/2017 16:38

Oh addley I assure you nothing went over my head, but I didn't really understand why anyone would want to inhale butane, they don't do that round these parts

Addley · 18/06/2017 16:42

But they do, apparently, do bloody stupid shit like pushing their kids round in supermarket trolleys.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

melj1213 · 18/06/2017 17:55

My child is in no danger in my trolley, no more than he would be walking next to me, unless someone pushes him or run him over.

Only yesterday at the supermarket I work at a 4yo boy was seriously hurt whilst in the trolley. The boy was sitting in the main part of the trolley, his mum was checking out something on the shelf, so the little boy stood up to get his drink that his mum had left on the child seat with her handbag. The little boy was holding onto the side of the trolley but was still drinking when his mum put her items in the trolley to move on. Instead of either waiting till he was finished or making him sit down, the mother started to push the trolley, the boy overbalanced, leaned against the side of the trolley and tipped over the side, landing on the concrete floor. We ended up having to call an ambulance as while he didn't land headfirst, he did hit his head hard on the ground during his landing.

All the time we were trying to help her son, the mother was yelling about suing us for his injuries because it was our fault ... despite the fact the very handle she had been pushing the trolley with clearly shows the "no children in the trolley unless in the specified child seat to prevent injury" signs and warnings.

grannytomine · 18/06/2017 19:58

My child is in no danger in my trolley but it's not your trolley is it?

kali110 · 18/06/2017 21:55

Well when you've seen a child smash their head open after sitting in the trolly ypu understand ehy they have these rules.
Yes, yabu. You never think it will happen to you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.