Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Sainsburys health & safety rules

286 replies

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:35

So it was a really hot day and Ineeded to have a quick nip round our local Sainsbury's the other day with DS age 4 who had just woken up....He likes to sit in the big basket. But is too big for the baby seat. He helps me unpack the shopping...

Making him walk round the supermarket when he's hot and tired is a nightmare so I let him hop in.

I'm pushing the trolley it's not overloaded, we have a nice chat and get what we need.

I get to the guy on the check out and this conversation unfolds:

"Hi how are you?"... "children are not allowed in the trolleys" he informs me... "right fine thanks for letting me know - can I have some bags please?".... "it's health and safety in case they hurt themselves" ... " yes well he's fine and its a nightmare to go shopping with him otherwise "

The man kept looking at he like I'd murdered someone and grumpily took my money from me. I thanked him very politely and went ok my way...

I couldn't help thinking that this is a ridiculous rule? The trolley is not going to tip up, I'm not going to put my child in danger, the food is not touching the trolley where he's sitting..... I spend a lot of money with Sainsbury's, as do lots of parents - why are they trying to make life harder (1st world problem I realise)

Hmm Was IBU?

OP posts:
memyselfandaye · 16/06/2017 10:11

Beep Those same melons have travelled around the world and been handled by nose pickers, sneezers and people that don't wash their hands after using the toilet.

FastAbsorbingCake · 16/06/2017 10:12

I have seen a trolley with a child tip over.

Child was about 4-5, Dad was looking a the veg, child stood up reached to grab something, faceplanted a display of broccoli, lucky.

Still managed to cut his head, and as I'm sure some of you will know scalp wounds can produce a hell of a lot of blood.

Supermarket staff were on it so quickly, it was almost as if they'd seen it all before. . . . .

Dad stood around yelling at them, as thought it was their fault.

limitedperiodonly · 16/06/2017 10:12

Health and safety is not the law.

Yes it is.

hula008 · 16/06/2017 10:12

I've seen a child fracture their skull after falling out of a trolley so yeah I don't think its a great idea

whoisA · 16/06/2017 10:13

welsh it's not always possible to shop when they are in bed as a single parent??
Also lots of people don't like online shopping as the replacements are so far removed from what you actually need you end up going to the shop anyway.

WomblingThree · 16/06/2017 10:14

I sometimes think I actually live on a different planet.

How is dog shit going to get on food that's in a packet? Trolleys live outside usually, so have got rat piss and bird shit on them anyway surely.

I never put mine in a trolley as I didn't need to, but I honestly can't see why anyone would give a toss if someone else does. If someone else's kid falls out, it's because they weren't sitting down. How many people have honestly ever seen a full size shopping trolley tip over?

Hermagsjesty · 16/06/2017 10:14

YABU. You're also being extra unreasonable for having already decided that you're not and then asking anyway, hoping to be validated. He was doing his job. Thier trolleys. Thier rules. Do you expect your child to just ignore rules he doesn't agree with too?

WomblingThree · 16/06/2017 10:15

I appear to have cross posted. Obviously everyone except me has seen a trolley tip or a child fracture their skull.

harderandharder2breathe · 16/06/2017 10:15

Standard rule. Children too big for the seat should walk. They can easily tip over, your child could get hurt. Don't do it

RiverTam · 16/06/2017 10:15

I make my own risk assessment and if I think it's safer for DD to sit in the bottom of a deep trolley then that's what happens. Never in a shallow trolley. My own personal experience has shown me plenty of children sitting in trolleys and no accidents. It's also shown me small children in far more danger of being whacked by a trolley if they are wandering about, because if you're shopping it's simply not possible for the adult to keep an eye on their child 100% of the time. Not even the perfect MN parents can do that. The children aren't necessarily misbehaving but they still are less safe, in my opinion, that if they were sitting in the trolley.

He's correct to point this out to you, you're entitled to make your own judgement and ignore him.

WillowWeeping · 16/06/2017 10:16

I've seen a child tip a trolley - it wasn't nice although fortunately no serious injuries.

It's a stupid thing to do so I'd judge.

AnnaT45 · 16/06/2017 10:16

Genuine question when do they stop going in the trolley? I put my nearly 2.5 year old in as well as my 10 month old in the seat bit and am worried now!

UseTwoHousebricks · 16/06/2017 10:16

"Health and safety is not the law" hmm... I'm not sure that would stand up in front of the court when a supermarket were fined for not informing their customers of the risk of children riding in trolleys or if you were trying to sue them for negligence after you'd been made aware of that risk,

Health and safety legislation (i.e. LAW) saves countless lives and prevents injury - that attitude of people trying to ignore it or get round it for whatever reason should surely make you think twice especially given the events of this week.

PerspicaciaTick · 16/06/2017 10:17

Not reading safety advice and then bad-mouthing someone who verbally gives you the safety advice - well that is plain stupid.

Do you ignore all safety advice or just the stuff that inconveniences you?

BustopherJones · 16/06/2017 10:18

Considering that those trolleys are left outside, and I doubt they're cleaned often, the odd shoe isn't going to make a difference. It's really only the same as putting your rucksack on the floor on the tube or the bus stop, and then putting it in the trolley, which no-one would object to.

The safety issue is the only one worth thinking about.

Northgate · 16/06/2017 10:18

A friend who works in a hospital warned us against doing this in trolleys. They've treated children who've had fractured skulls after they were in the trolley basket area and the trolley tipped over.

It's an unnecessary risk to take IMO. If they're too big to be safely restrained in the trolley seat they should be walking.

Coddiwomple · 16/06/2017 10:19

I do most of my shopping online actually, which is why there's enough space in the trolley for 2 kids/ their scooter and the bits and bobs I am buying. If I was doing a monthly shop for my household (2 adults + 4 kids + 2 dogs), you are right, the trolley would probably tip over with the kids and their scooters in it!

MsSusanStoHelit · 16/06/2017 10:20

I would imagine that the employee has seen countless children fall out of them and also that he will be in danger of getting told off for not stopping you if there's an accident.

H&S exists FOR A REASON. People get seriously fricking hurt by things A LOT, because they don't recognise the risks. So we put rules in place to mitigate those risks.

I get that your kid is hot and whiny but he'll be a damn sight worse off if he's also got a concussion from faceplanting in the veg aisle.

whoisA · 16/06/2017 10:20

Some days my child is safer in a trolley. Other days she is safe to walk. Simples.

Mulberry72 · 16/06/2017 10:20

YABU.

picklemepopcorn · 16/06/2017 10:21

Bizarrely, a warehouse in my area wants all children under eight in trolleys as they are safer than loose in the shop. I didn't take mine there as it doesn't feel safe to have them in a trolley when everywhere else tells you not to!

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

AmazingBouncingFerret · 16/06/2017 10:21

I can see the point from a safety aspect. Tipping over etc, accidents can and do happen.
I just can't get up in arms or annoyed with the dirty shoes where the food goes though. The handles of supermarket trolleys are far, far worse if you think about it. People sneezing into their hands and then pushing the trolley. People going to the toilet and maybe not washing their hands and then pushing the trolley. People scratching their arses or sweaty armpits and then pushing the trolley.
All the while, everyone else is using that same trolley and picking up food to place in the basket part.
It's all dirty and germ ridden whether a child is allowed to sit in it or not.

blankface · 16/06/2017 10:21

Who on earth puts food directly on to the bottom of the trolley

You put say a loaf wrapped in cellophane, or a bottle, or a tin or a bag from the deli directly into the trolley.
If someone's child's shoes have left an unnoticed shitty mess, that's then transferred to the packaging, then it' on the conveyor belt, bagged and touches other stuff, then those germs are transferred to your cupboards and fridge. Not pleasant. Envy

ZafiraCyclist · 16/06/2017 10:22

I know somebody who's child fell out of the trolley, smashed their skull and had to have a metal plate inserted.
Made a full recovery but doesn't ride in trolleys anymore.
I think it was in a Sainsburys as well.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.