Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Sainsburys health & safety rules

286 replies

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:35

So it was a really hot day and Ineeded to have a quick nip round our local Sainsbury's the other day with DS age 4 who had just woken up....He likes to sit in the big basket. But is too big for the baby seat. He helps me unpack the shopping...

Making him walk round the supermarket when he's hot and tired is a nightmare so I let him hop in.

I'm pushing the trolley it's not overloaded, we have a nice chat and get what we need.

I get to the guy on the check out and this conversation unfolds:

"Hi how are you?"... "children are not allowed in the trolleys" he informs me... "right fine thanks for letting me know - can I have some bags please?".... "it's health and safety in case they hurt themselves" ... " yes well he's fine and its a nightmare to go shopping with him otherwise "

The man kept looking at he like I'd murdered someone and grumpily took my money from me. I thanked him very politely and went ok my way...

I couldn't help thinking that this is a ridiculous rule? The trolley is not going to tip up, I'm not going to put my child in danger, the food is not touching the trolley where he's sitting..... I spend a lot of money with Sainsbury's, as do lots of parents - why are they trying to make life harder (1st world problem I realise)

Hmm Was IBU?

OP posts:
caffeinestream · 16/06/2017 09:49

They can and do tip over. I've seen it happen and the crack of the child's head off concrete and the scream I heard afterwards was enough to put me off ever risking it.

Redsippycup · 16/06/2017 09:49

Not only is he going to get whatever is on his shoes all over the inside of the trolley - not all food is wrapped and even the wrapped stuff will go straight in the fridge, where other stuff might not be wrapped - but if he decides to try to climb out it's quite a height to fall, even if he doesnt tip the trolley over on himself.

Also if he puts his fingers through the mesh and gets them squashed by the shelving / another trolley he could really hurt himself.

There are good reasons for the rule, it's not just people being spoilsports.

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:50

Health and safety is not the law.
I was polite to the man despite his grumpy manner and then since I was finished shopping decided to leave and make my own decision.
Living life on the edge I guess Grin
Thanks for your opinions it has been enlightening. Truly. Flowers

OP posts:
whoisA · 16/06/2017 09:52

You wild thing you

LagunaBubbles · 16/06/2017 09:52

Ive often wondered who on earth would put a child actually in a trolley..now I know.

Holidaygirlsummer · 16/06/2017 09:54

Yes you were silly to ignore the rule ,do you think the guy wanted to tell you ,of course not i dont miss working in retail .people are so silly.

I bet you would have been going mad if he fell out and split his head open ,knocked a tooth out or split a lip etc

Dont be silly jusy because your a mum now .

whoisA · 16/06/2017 09:58

I have never seen a trolley fall over, they are pretty sturdy.
Maybe if the child was stood up rocking then yeh.
But sat down as a heavy object it probably made it more stable?

Coddiwomple · 16/06/2017 10:01

I put my child in the trolley too, so what?
They're not standing up and dancing in it, they are sitting nicely. Never been told anything about it! And no, there's nothing written on the handle about it.

What's the difference with putting their shoes (which are not covered in poo thank you very much) or putting their scooters?

Many parents do around here, and as long as the kids behave, everybody is fine. There was a little boy reading his book in his trolley this morning. They would be much more at risk of cracking their skull by running around, and falling straight into a shelf, or banging their head in the corner of one. There are a thousands of way a child could get injured in a supermarket even when they behave.

PicaPauAmarelo · 16/06/2017 10:01

It's not safe but yes it's a first world problem, I don't understand the angst about shoes and arse where the food goes, it touches a lot more shit on its journey to the supermarket.
To over come this first world problem my developing world country has car trolleys and mini- trolleys as standard in every supermarket, so the trolley has a toy car under it complete with steering wheel and hooter. My 4 year old loves this, or getting his own mini-version. He was in third world shock in Sainsbury's, backwards first world lack of kid friendly supermarket trolleys Grin

BeepBeepMOVE · 16/06/2017 10:01

Things like melons go straight in the trolley. No you don't eat the outside of a melon but it would go on chopping board and the skin does go in mouth if eating in sections. Also the packet food would go on work surface.

I honestly couldn't give a shit if you don't care about the safety of your child, that's your business but a trolley is for public use and it's very bad manners to but your child in it.

Yes he sat on his arse the entire time and his shoes never once touched the trolley Hmm

BeepBeepMOVE · 16/06/2017 10:03

coddi
What is wrong with teaching your child to walk nicely? No need for a scooter in a supermarket.

Coddiwomple · 16/06/2017 10:06

My children use their scooter to go to the supermarket, not to use in it, which is why the scooters then go in the trolley during our shopping.

Haven't people realised that trolleys are kept outside and are not sterilised every morning? Kids shoes are the least of your worries if you are worried about contamination.

whoisA · 16/06/2017 10:06

People touch the outside of melons, they have people sneeze while walking past, cough while looking at them, might have filthy hands while taking one.

LIZS · 16/06/2017 10:06

Yabu Hygiene aside , if he fell out, hurt himself on the basket , or overbalanced the trolley many would be quick to cry foul and hold the supermarket liable for their own poor judgement. If he can't fit in the toddler seat he has to walk. If he were that tired just take a basket and get the minimum.

whoisA · 16/06/2017 10:07

Yeh also they are kept outside where animals may touch them with there dirty feet or poo on them!

ParisOnWheels · 16/06/2017 10:07

I know someone who put a DC in the trolley and it tipped over

whoisA · 16/06/2017 10:07

Is that the whole story Paris?

PicaPauAmarelo · 16/06/2017 10:07

BeepBeepMOVE things like melons grow on the ground, next to the soil where manure is used. Sometimes things like exactly like melons are too big to crate so they just go in the back of the truck. They often travel thousands of miles through roads and airports. If you cut a melon on your chopping board I'd clean it and I wouldn't put the melon skin in your mouth if I were you, just a bit of friendly advice.

MaroonPencil · 16/06/2017 10:07

I really struggle with the "the rules don't apply to me" brigade and it is something I have thought about a lot.

On the one hand, of course I don't follow all the rules all the time. For example there is an alleyway on the way to school which says no cycling. I do cycle down it with the kids as the alternative is to take them on the main road. I make sure we look out for people walking, slow down, give them plenty of room etc, but still I know we are breaking the rule. If someone were to call me out on it I would apologise, not say "right thanks for letting me know" in a PA manner.

So I don't really have a leg to stand on because of course like my example in every case people think "this rule doesn't apply to me because...." But I do think that in most cases there are reasons behind rules and you might not think of them yourself. At our swimming pool there is a rule "don't enter the changing rooms with shoes on, either take them off or cover your feet with the blue plastic things". Probably about a quarter of people obey this rule. The rest feel it doesn't apply to them. And the more people see others not obeying the rule the more they don't either and then there's no point having the rule at all.

INeedANameChange · 16/06/2017 10:07

YABVU. Why the hell do you need to put a kid in a trolley? It's for food ffs.

You were even more U for ignoring the staff who told you to stop!

whoisA · 16/06/2017 10:08

Can't see it just falling over for no reason

CursedChild · 16/06/2017 10:08

YABU.

I work in retail and I have seen too many accidents where a child has fallen out and I wouldn't wish the sight on anyone. A concrete floor is not forgiving to a child's skull and the parent always tries to blame us, probably due to fear and their own guilt. Strap your child into the seat or he walks.

I also don't want dirty shitty shoes where I put my food and clothes.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

welshweasel · 16/06/2017 10:08

If you can't control your child then go shopping gene they're in bed or do it online. A 4 year old having to be wheeled round in a trolley is ridiculous.

Allthebestnamesareused · 16/06/2017 10:10

If food isn't placed directly in the trolley where is it placed? Do you line your trolley?

I put fresh fruit such as bananas and peppers etc directly into the trolley so as to not use silly plastic bags. Maybe I should be wasteful and use bags if I know kids with dirty shoes etc have been in them!

Neutrogena · 16/06/2017 10:10

My brother in law is a Tesco manager, and he told me that it's a fairly regular occurrence for children to fall out and then get all legal on the supermarket. That's why they don't allow it. Their trolley, their rules.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.