Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Sainsburys health & safety rules

286 replies

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:35

So it was a really hot day and Ineeded to have a quick nip round our local Sainsbury's the other day with DS age 4 who had just woken up....He likes to sit in the big basket. But is too big for the baby seat. He helps me unpack the shopping...

Making him walk round the supermarket when he's hot and tired is a nightmare so I let him hop in.

I'm pushing the trolley it's not overloaded, we have a nice chat and get what we need.

I get to the guy on the check out and this conversation unfolds:

"Hi how are you?"... "children are not allowed in the trolleys" he informs me... "right fine thanks for letting me know - can I have some bags please?".... "it's health and safety in case they hurt themselves" ... " yes well he's fine and its a nightmare to go shopping with him otherwise "

The man kept looking at he like I'd murdered someone and grumpily took my money from me. I thanked him very politely and went ok my way...

I couldn't help thinking that this is a ridiculous rule? The trolley is not going to tip up, I'm not going to put my child in danger, the food is not touching the trolley where he's sitting..... I spend a lot of money with Sainsbury's, as do lots of parents - why are they trying to make life harder (1st world problem I realise)

Hmm Was IBU?

OP posts:
WomblingThree · 16/06/2017 10:23

I'm sorry but a trolley will not spontaneously tip over with a child sitting in it. The laws of physics actually don't allow this to happen.

If a child is arsing about in the trolley and it tips, well then that's tough. But the child would have been arsing about whether in the trolley or not. Either you make your kids behave or you don't. A small child sitting quietly in the bottom of the trolley is not in any immediate danger.

whoisA · 16/06/2017 10:23

Off topic here but people keep saying health and safety is the law. You must always follow etc

Lots of Grenfell survivors ignored "health and safety rules" and got out of there flats when "health and safety " told them to stay in. They wouldn't be alive now if they were following the rules.

So if you do your own risk assessment and see it as Safer to do it your own way then do it your own way.

PerspicaciaTick · 16/06/2017 10:23

Shopping trolleys are not designed to be used as prams. The only bit which has been designed to be safely used by children are the child seats. The rest is designed for groceries not people.
It was hard enough to force supermarkets to install straps on the child seats to prevent the many accidents that used to happen. Why on earth would any parent think that the supermarkets take any steps at all to ensure your child's safety if you put them somewhere you have been advised is NOT suitable.

Addley · 16/06/2017 10:23
Coddiwomple · 16/06/2017 10:24

WomblingThree

I completely agree!

KatyBerry · 16/06/2017 10:24

of all the days to pick on health and safety rules / legislation, I'd reckon that the one just after health & safety failures caused a catastrophic event and substantial loss of life might not be the right one.

And yes YABU for the reasons extensively discussed above.

Areyoulocal · 16/06/2017 10:24

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hula008 · 16/06/2017 10:26

Obviously everyone except me has seen a trolley tip or a child fracture their skull.

I can't speak for everyone on this thread but I worked in a supermarket for years so saw countless accidents where children had climbed out of, stood up in or otherwise misused trolleys while their parents were distracted.

When I saw a child fracture their skull they had climbed up on the side of the trolley. I said to their mum "Your child is standing up on the trolley, can you take them out" and mum rolled her eyes at me. As she turned round to look at the child she knocked the trolley, causing the child to fall out of the trolley and land on their head.

PerspicaciaTick · 16/06/2017 10:26

whoisA - the OP was unable to carry out any meaningful risk assessment. As she says, she didn't read the warnings and was totally unaware of any potential risk until the employee spoke to her. She appears to have assumed that using the trolley as a pram was risk-free, she is wrong.

WhereDoesThisRoadGo · 16/06/2017 10:27

right fine thanks for letting me know - can I have some bags please?"...

Disrespectful, horrible response. The next time someone explains the rules of their workplace, regardless of what you think of that rule, have the decency to apologise. You never know when you are going to need someome to follow the "silly" rules for you.

I hope this post is a reverse / wind up.

TheOtherOnes · 16/06/2017 10:27

Wow.

Trolleys spend the night in grimy car parks with rats and other creatures running around. When it rains the trolley bottom will get splattered with dirty car park water.

It's ludicrous to object to a 4 year old going in the trolley on the basis on their shoes touching the trolley!

WomblingThree · 16/06/2017 10:27

KatyBerry that is in seriously poor taste. A catastrophic loss of life and a bloody shopping trolley are so far from similar.

Are we never going to be able to discuss anything ever again without a grief tourist popping up to tell us off?

hula008 · 16/06/2017 10:27

The company was threatened with legal action for it, by the way.

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer · 16/06/2017 10:28

To me the hygiene issue is irrelevant, trollies are filthy. You may be absolutely certain that your child will sit nicely in the trolley whilst you're doing the shopping but the man on the checkout doesn't know your child and has probably seen loads of kids stand at the end or mess about so has to inform everyone of the same rule. He shouldn't have been 'grumpy' but he probably just thought, as I would, that he had another one of those customers who thinks they know better.

I see all sorts of stupid behaviour in our supermarket, kids with heelys zooming along with empty trolleys to go faster, cartwheeling in the aisles and for some reason there seems to be an increasing number of people who think it's fine to wander round the supermarket with one hand steering a trolley and the other holding a hot drink. Not sure where the supermarket stands if someone ended up scalded.

requestingsunshine · 16/06/2017 10:28

I don't let my 4 year old sit in the trolley, but I couldn't give 2 hoots if someone else did. I do raise my eyebrows a tad at children who look about 9 sat in them though, but only because I think, where the hell are you going to fit all your shopping!

TheOtherOnes · 16/06/2017 10:30

Genuine question - are the trolleys being tipped up because the children in them are rocking them or something?

If it's because they tip going down a dropped kerb or something, then it's not same to have them strapped in the seats either.

I can understand leaning out to get something from a shelf isn't good, but a child sat cross-leggged in the bottom will make the centre of gravity nice and low. It's more stable than the seat!

hula008 · 16/06/2017 10:30

The thing is, as a staff member, you don't know if that child will continue to sit nicely in there and not climb over it or stand up. But the company you workn for could suffer negative consequences if someone has an accident.

toofarfromcivilisation · 16/06/2017 10:30

I could fit in the seat of a supermarket trolley when I was at uni. & shamefully often did.

Is your 4 year ols very large?

pipsqueak25 · 16/06/2017 10:30

i hate kids sitting in trolleys, there are child seats use the bloody things, if you put your dirty shoes in the trolley then it must be okay if your dc walks around on your kitchen work tops too imo.
yes, i have been flamed for saying this in the past but hey so what ?

CotswoldStrife · 16/06/2017 10:30

From the OP
and went ok my way...

I think you meant to type 'on' not 'OK' but that just about sums it up!

YABU, if you don't like the rules don't use the shop. I also think you were very rude not to take your child out when he pointed it out to you. Ignoring what the assistant said was not polite.

As for when is it OK to break the rules - it usually isn't, they are there for a reason and it's not personal.

TheOtherOnes · 16/06/2017 10:30

not safe to have them strapped in the seats either.

Coddiwomple · 16/06/2017 10:31

Last time I was in a shopping trolley, I must have been 21 or 22.

It seems that people were used to students because no one made any comment Grin

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

TheOtherOnes · 16/06/2017 10:32

I hate kids sitting in trolleys, there are child seats use the bloody things, if you put your dirty shoes in the trolley then it must be okay if your dc walks around on your kitchen work tops too imo

Do you leave you kitchen counter outside in a supermarket car park overnight then put food on in the morning? It's really not a reasonable comparison if you don't...

Maudlinmaud · 16/06/2017 10:32

When my dc where small but too big to sit in the trolley seat, I did put them in the trolley. I knew the risks but thankfully nothing happened. Now I have to wrangle the trolley off my youngest as they want to push it. I've had clipped heels when that happens which isn't fun.

Coddiwomple · 16/06/2017 10:32

crosspost toofarfromcivilisation
maybe we were shopping in the same supermarket! Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.