Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Sainsburys health & safety rules

286 replies

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:35

So it was a really hot day and Ineeded to have a quick nip round our local Sainsbury's the other day with DS age 4 who had just woken up....He likes to sit in the big basket. But is too big for the baby seat. He helps me unpack the shopping...

Making him walk round the supermarket when he's hot and tired is a nightmare so I let him hop in.

I'm pushing the trolley it's not overloaded, we have a nice chat and get what we need.

I get to the guy on the check out and this conversation unfolds:

"Hi how are you?"... "children are not allowed in the trolleys" he informs me... "right fine thanks for letting me know - can I have some bags please?".... "it's health and safety in case they hurt themselves" ... " yes well he's fine and its a nightmare to go shopping with him otherwise "

The man kept looking at he like I'd murdered someone and grumpily took my money from me. I thanked him very politely and went ok my way...

I couldn't help thinking that this is a ridiculous rule? The trolley is not going to tip up, I'm not going to put my child in danger, the food is not touching the trolley where he's sitting..... I spend a lot of money with Sainsbury's, as do lots of parents - why are they trying to make life harder (1st world problem I realise)

Hmm Was IBU?

OP posts:
grannytomine · 16/06/2017 10:57

whoisA, can't you understand it is Sainsbury's property, they can decide how to use it. If you don't like the rules go elsewhere. It is completely different to being in a burning building. If a building catches fire something else is putting your/your childs life in danger. This mother is choosing to put her child in danger and you are supporting her and trying to use a tragedy to justify it.

grannytomine · 16/06/2017 10:58

Maybe it was one of those big cots that convert to a bed?

TheBrilloPad · 16/06/2017 10:58

I put my 2yr old in the trolley ALLLLLL the time! I have a 1 yr old & a 2yr old and my local supermarket has hardly any "double seat" trollies, so if there aren't any available, sometimes she goes in the trolley.

Also, trollies are kept OUTSIDE. Where foxes and other animals can climb and piss all over them. There are far worse things in the bottom of your trolley than a bit of dirt from a toddler shoe.

strongswans · 16/06/2017 11:00

YABU I have seen a child around 3/4 years old fall from a trolley thanks to this. Utterly horrific, I will never forget the crack as she hit the floor and the screams. Please don't do it.

Molehillfromamountain · 16/06/2017 11:00

YABU and frankly stupid. I witnessed a child who had indeed tipped the trolley over and hurt himself badly (ambulance required, head injury) he had also thrown his newborn brother from the seat he was restrained in onto the tiled floor. It was awful the mother was devastated and didn't know which child to comfort first.
It is also disgusting put him in with shoes on.

whoisA · 16/06/2017 11:01

granny
As I've already said I am using a tragedy to justify making your own judgement in ANY situation.
As I keep repeating.
Anyway think we are just going to disagree.

NeverGoOutOfStyle · 16/06/2017 11:01

@viques so a toddlers possibly dirty trainers is disgusting, but all of the various piss and shit from rats, birds and other wildlife that'll already be on the trolly? No-one cleans supermarket trollies, ever.

You were being unreasonable though OP, kids your child can't sit in the seat then they've got to walk, it isn't safe to put them in the basket for all the reasons mentioned in the thread previously.

SofaToad · 16/06/2017 11:07

I see it this way - it is not safe to have a child in the trolley, but if the child isn't messing about I don't see that it can cause harm. An unruly child is another matter. A warning is needed because some people do not manage to keep their children safe in trolleys, like the ones that are allowed to climb over them and tip them over.

As for the shoes & bum issue, just think what gets on the trolleys when they are left outside, mouse and rat wee, dog wee, dog poo on the wheels which can easily transfer to shopping bags on handles considering people put bags on floors, which also means they put germs in trolleys when they put bags in them. Then consider that there are creatures in warehouses, mice in bakeries, creatures on fruit & veg which is exposed to the great outdoors where it will also be wee'd on and walked over by beasties.

And I have been in a Sainsbury store where there was a mouse under the crisp counter and a lady standing watching him. So the issue with shoes and bum is really nothing compared to all that. I keep wipes with me for cleaning hands after doing the shopping because pretty much anything could get on it at any time. Anyone who thinks they have bought 'clean' food is under a misapprehension.

StarryCorpulentCunt · 16/06/2017 11:07

I've seen so many accidents in trolleys from working in retail including one where the child had her front teeth knocked out when a trolley pushed by another child hit hers and she banged her mouth on the side. It doesn't have to tip for a child to get hurt. Personally I warn them twice and then I've fulfilled my obligation and if their child is hurt it's their own stupid fault. My manager however gives them a warning and if they ignore him he takes the trolley off them. It's not worth risking a child's safety because you want to be fucking lazy.

grannytomine · 16/06/2017 11:10

whoisA and you shouldn't use a tragedy. It is sick.

jarhead123 · 16/06/2017 11:10

Hate seeing kids in trolleys.

Wanttobehonest · 16/06/2017 11:10

Well even if the trolley isnt sterile (and tramps have pissed in every trolley etc Hmm ) they aren't going to be cleaner with your childrens shoes.

GabsAlot · 16/06/2017 11:17

thy do it round here all the time in our tesco-theres even a sign as you go in stating not to do it but noone takes any notice

whoisA · 16/06/2017 11:18

I think there's worse things you could do!

yourcarisnotadiscovery · 16/06/2017 11:19

used to do this with my DS too. He was a nightmare in a supermarket!... 9runs off with flownthecoop

whoisA · 16/06/2017 11:22

I apologise for upsetting you granny

MacarenaFerreiro · 16/06/2017 11:23

Im not bothered by "contamination". I do think though that its totally unnecessary for most parents to put children aged 4 or over in a trolley at all. Most chiildren by that age can be told to walk nicely for the short time they're in a supermarket. We've all played the "oooh, now who can help me find the carrots" or "let's count out 10 potatoes" to keep children engaged.

I do get my judgey pants on when I see school age children sitting in a trolley surrounded by cans. I either think "lazy parent" or "little sod who can't be trusted not to cause chaos".

Orangetoffee · 16/06/2017 11:24

Well if you are happy with your child sitting in the trolley then at least make sure you keep the trolley in reach at all times. Don't wander off to the end of the aisle and hope other people are close enough to stop the trolley from toppling when the child decides to stand up and grab something from the shelf or wants to climb out.

TheWitTank · 16/06/2017 11:25

Late to the party here, but I've mentioned this in other threads. I used to work at Sainsburys and witnessed and dealt with a baby with a badly broken finger after his brother (toddler) pulled the trolley over. They are not stable or meant for sitting in, riding on or swinging off of. Children falling from or tipping trollies happens more often than people think and they are heavy and sharp in areas.

TattyCat · 16/06/2017 11:27

The problem here is that you just can't argue with stupid.

Steeley113 · 16/06/2017 11:32

I ignored this rule once, my trolley was knocked into by someone else and my child bashed his mouth on the end bit of the trolley and cut his lip open. Rules are for a reason. He's 4 now and I sit him in the baby seat if he is unwell but he is a small 4 year old.

SoupDragon · 16/06/2017 11:35

I was polite to the man despite his grumpy manner

Yeah, he probably thought he was polite too.

The trolley is not going to tip up, I'm not going to put my child in danger

Yes, and you could argue that your car isn't going to crash on the short distance to X.

Things are always absolutely fine right up until the point they are not. The trolley didn't tip this time. It might not tip next time. Or, of course it might if, say, he has a tantrum and throws himself against the edge or leans out whilst you're getting something just off a high shelf.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Billben · 16/06/2017 11:35

Did you honestly think you'll get some sympathy for your post OP? YABU

PacificDogwod · 16/06/2017 11:37

I used to put two children in the trolley! Grin

Toysaurus · 16/06/2017 11:39

Laughing at the dirty shoes comment when rats piss all over trolleys.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.