Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Sainsburys health & safety rules

286 replies

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:35

So it was a really hot day and Ineeded to have a quick nip round our local Sainsbury's the other day with DS age 4 who had just woken up....He likes to sit in the big basket. But is too big for the baby seat. He helps me unpack the shopping...

Making him walk round the supermarket when he's hot and tired is a nightmare so I let him hop in.

I'm pushing the trolley it's not overloaded, we have a nice chat and get what we need.

I get to the guy on the check out and this conversation unfolds:

"Hi how are you?"... "children are not allowed in the trolleys" he informs me... "right fine thanks for letting me know - can I have some bags please?".... "it's health and safety in case they hurt themselves" ... " yes well he's fine and its a nightmare to go shopping with him otherwise "

The man kept looking at he like I'd murdered someone and grumpily took my money from me. I thanked him very politely and went ok my way...

I couldn't help thinking that this is a ridiculous rule? The trolley is not going to tip up, I'm not going to put my child in danger, the food is not touching the trolley where he's sitting..... I spend a lot of money with Sainsbury's, as do lots of parents - why are they trying to make life harder (1st world problem I realise)

Hmm Was IBU?

OP posts:
Coddiwomple · 16/06/2017 10:32

crosspost toofarfromcivilisation
maybe we were shopping in the same supermarket! Grin

Wonderflonium · 16/06/2017 10:33

It seems like your thought process went like this:-

• My child has not learned how to be tired/bored in a shop without kicking off yet
  • I do not have the energy to teach him how to do this today
  • This is more important than any other consideration, including his physical safety, the cleanliness of the trolley for other people, the guy at the register who was only doing his job in warning me it was dangerous
  • This is because I am more important than other people, including my son

It's not exactly unusual to be self-centred but don't try and dress it up as something else.
grannytomine · 16/06/2017 10:34

Lots of Grenfell survivors ignored "health and safety rules" and got out of there flats when "health and safety " told them to stay in. They wouldn't be alive now if they were following the rules. Using a tragedy like Grenfell to justify a mother ignoring a rule is pretty low.

HerOtherHalf · 16/06/2017 10:34

I doubt the checkout operator really cared that much if your child got hurt or not. What he would care about is that if he says nothing his manager may well dig him up for not speaking to you about it.

The fact is, we live in a world now when a lot of people will jump at any opportunity to blame others for the consequences of their errors in judgement, especially if they think there is a few quid in it. So parent puts child in trolley, trolley tips hurting child, parent finds no-win no-fee personal injury lawyer and sues supermarket for not taking sufficient steps to warn them of danger of putting a child in a vehicle clearly not designed for that purpose. Supermarket has to waste time and money on the case and possibly decides to bung the parent a few grand as an out of court settlement because that's cheaper than going to court.

That's why they put signs on the trolleys and why they instruct their staff to challenge anyone they see not complying. If you want to break their rules that's your choice but ffs just take your telling off from the staff when it happens and move on. Oh and if your child does come a cropper, at least have the decency to own it as a consequence of your decisions and not go looking for others to blame.

Dawndonnaagain · 16/06/2017 10:35

Ndn a few years ago. Baby in trolley seat. Four year old in trolley. Ndn bent down to pick up a box of cereal, four year old reached over, fell out, banged head, broke arm. Not Sainsbury's fault.
I grow my own fruit and veg so not worried about the shit might be on my food argument, but safety yes. As for health and safety is not the law, perhaps that should be discussed a little further in the light of recent events...

limitedperiodonly · 16/06/2017 10:35

Sainsbury's or anyone else who invites people on to their premises cannot let you behave exactly how you want just because you say you'll take responsibility for yourself and your child whatever happens.

They have a responsibility towards other people - customers and their staff - who might be hurt through your actions. That is the law - civil and sometimes criminal.

If you ignore them they have the right and responsibility to tell you to leave.

Coddiwomple · 16/06/2017 10:36

I hope some of the posters won't see a tramp urinating on trolleys at night like I did once.

pipsqueak25 · 16/06/2017 10:36

the reasonable enough to say what i said, it's like cats that wander around then sit on work tops, or dogs sitting on beds and sofas - totally grim. but as far as trolleys go it's disrespectful to other people, i also hate feet on seats on public transport.

whoisA · 16/06/2017 10:36

granny I said to risk assess your own health and safety. Not just about trolleys but in all things. Actually.

Wanttobehonest · 16/06/2017 10:37

I put food directly into my trolley. I bought a watermellon today for example and I don't want your sons feet in the trolley before it.

Also you can risk assess and say something is safe enough for your DC - if it is yours. But if you are essentially borrowing a trolley from a shop, you cant be surprised they want you to follow their rules about use.

grannytomine · 16/06/2017 10:40

whoisA, I couldn't care less. You were using a tragedy to justify someone not only ignoring Sainsbury's rules regarding Sainsbury's property in a Sainsbury's shop but then being rude to a member of staff. Nice.

e1y1 · 16/06/2017 10:41

Having seen the damage to fingers when a child has been holding the sides of the trolley when it has been tipped over, can completely agree they were right to tell you that.

Not saying you of course, but I am sure there will be one parent out there whose child ends up having an accident and trying to sue the store citing that they were "never told it wasn't allowed".

The guy was just doing his job.

MyPatronusIsAUnicorn · 16/06/2017 10:41

Sounds like lazy parenting to me.

I'm not quite so concerned about shoes in the trolley, although it is a bit rank. But for everyone who lets their child sit in because it's easier, that's just lazy. A child (without SN and they have special trolleys with large seats if it is genuinely a problem) is perfectly capable of walking in a shop without having to be wheeled around. I have never seen a trolley tip over, but considering these children are so mollycoddled bothered by walking, they need to sit in a trolley, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they may also get up, piss about and tip the trolley over.

MipMipMip · 16/06/2017 10:43

The trolleys are the property of the supermarket, not the public (although they would probably lose business if they didn't provide them). They are entitled to say how they are to be used.

If you lent someone a TV and they decided to change the TV with a hammer, to use a recent MN example, you would be perfectly entitled to say they couldn't use the remains TV.

The supermarket is lending you their trolley and if you don't use it as they say they could very easily stop you using it. At present they are being polite and just warning you of the dangers but if you keep ignoring them then if I were manager I would ban you from using the trollies and expect a daily mail sad face. They would likely use your custom but they would then not have to clear up and get the legal team involved if your child got hurt. How much have they lost through ruined stock where kids have bled all over it?

drivingmisspotty · 16/06/2017 10:47

Haha at everyone worrying about his dirty shoes in the trolley. You know they keep them outside overnight right with rats and other wildlife running over them and peeing on them? (Probably darked on too!)

Personally I don't do this as worried about trolley tipping but it's up to you. Sainsburys man was a bit grumpy but just doing his job reminding you of the rules. Stick to your own risk assessment if you want but don't be surprised when the staff call you on it.

toofarfromcivilisation · 16/06/2017 10:47

Coddiwomple I reckon I could still fit in one now.....at 52.

Might need some help getting out.

limitedperiodonly · 16/06/2017 10:47

Let's say the worst happened. Your child falls out of the trolley and suffers severe brain damage from hitting the floor.

He will need life-long care. That will be very expensive. His only option, because it's not your life, it's his, would be for someone to sue on his behalf in order to get the money he needs.

That's why you get those cases where children sue their own parents. It's not because they don't love each other, it's because they need the money.

You might not be insured for that kind of thing. So the next step would be for him to attempt to sue Sainsbury's for failing to stop you doing something dangerous and that they know can cause harm.

I wouldn't blame your child for doing that. I wouldn't blame Sainsbury's for doing everything they could to avoid that possibility. That would start with a member of staff telling you to stop being so stupid.

HerOtherHalf · 16/06/2017 10:47

I put food directly into my trolley. I bought a watermellon today for example and I don't want your sons feet in the trolley before it.

Before that melon gets to you it has been sprayed with chemicals, touched and sneezed on by umpteen people and crawled over and peed on by rats, mice and other sundry furry creatures. The dirt from a toddler's trainers is the least of your worries.

WomblingThree · 16/06/2017 10:50

For the benefit of people who can't read properly, I will reiterate: DOGS PISS ON TROLLEYS, TRAMPS PISS ON TROLLEYS, RATS PISS AND SHIT ON TROLLEYS, BIRDS SHIT ON TROLLEYS.

Anyone who thinks a trolley would miraculously become clean by not having a child's feet in it is delusional. Put bags in the trolley and out your shopping into them.

Anyone who thinks that a bloody melon on a supermarket shelf is clean is also delusional. They travel thousands of miles - funnily enough, not in individual sterile bubbles 🙄

whoisA · 16/06/2017 10:50

granny
No actually I was saying to all the people that are so shocked that you would possibly break a health and safety rule that it depends on the situation.
In any situation you should do your own risk assessment.
You don't have to follow rules just because.
Whether it be big or small.
"Health and safety" rules implemented by a hotel and by emergency services have nearly killed me, 2 separate incidents. So now I do my own risk assessment.

Coddiwomple · 16/06/2017 10:50

Sounds like lazy parenting to me.

Get over yourself. Kids find it funny to seat in the trolley, it doesn't hurt anyone, normal human beings like to keep their children happy when it's reasonable, life is not all about toughing up and making everybody as miserable as possible to prepare them for the apocalypse.

I am sure some posters had to walk 50 miles barefoot to go and buy their daily bread when they were tiny, bladibla. Violins are waiting for the sob stories.

viques · 16/06/2017 10:51

Who puts food in the bottom of the trolley ? I do actually, not just things like loose oranges and bananas but loose courgettes, onions, broccoli etc, if I am only buying one or two. And even if the stuff is wrapped I don't want your kids dog crappy shoes smearing faeces on my shopping thank you very much.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

mumeeee · 16/06/2017 10:51

YABU. That rule has been around for years and it is not just Sainsburys who have that rule. It is not safe to put children in trolleys unless they fit into the child seat.

whoisA · 16/06/2017 10:52

unicorn shops have 1 or 2 trolleys with larger seats- if that!

Coddiwomple · 16/06/2017 10:53

toofarfromcivilisation Oh my!
I did fit inside the trolley at 20, but I never attempted the seat even then.

It reminds me of a mum describing how she was in the cot with her baby until he fell asleep. How on earth did she manage to get out! Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.