Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Sainsburys health & safety rules

286 replies

SloeGinRocks · 16/06/2017 09:35

So it was a really hot day and Ineeded to have a quick nip round our local Sainsbury's the other day with DS age 4 who had just woken up....He likes to sit in the big basket. But is too big for the baby seat. He helps me unpack the shopping...

Making him walk round the supermarket when he's hot and tired is a nightmare so I let him hop in.

I'm pushing the trolley it's not overloaded, we have a nice chat and get what we need.

I get to the guy on the check out and this conversation unfolds:

"Hi how are you?"... "children are not allowed in the trolleys" he informs me... "right fine thanks for letting me know - can I have some bags please?".... "it's health and safety in case they hurt themselves" ... " yes well he's fine and its a nightmare to go shopping with him otherwise "

The man kept looking at he like I'd murdered someone and grumpily took my money from me. I thanked him very politely and went ok my way...

I couldn't help thinking that this is a ridiculous rule? The trolley is not going to tip up, I'm not going to put my child in danger, the food is not touching the trolley where he's sitting..... I spend a lot of money with Sainsbury's, as do lots of parents - why are they trying to make life harder (1st world problem I realise)

Hmm Was IBU?

OP posts:
kali110 · 18/06/2017 22:05

directly instead of making do with signs they could perhaps train them on how to do this politely
Ypu mean the sign on the actually trolley?

brasty · 18/06/2017 22:25

"Last month's Pediatrics journal says that in the US, over 24,000 children were treated in hospital emergency departments in 2005 for injuries from shopping trolleys. Eighty five per cent of these kids were under five years old.

The most common type of injury was a fracture and most injuries were to the head and neck."

www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/stories/2006/09/07/1734993.htm

Fluffyears · 18/06/2017 22:30

There are all sorts of wildlife, the warehouses are open at the back. I've worked for three of the major names and rodents and pigeons were a massive issue.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 · 18/06/2017 22:45

the warehouses are open at the back.

I know they are; my DH works in the warehouse.

There still are no wildlife in their warehouses; rodents, pigeons, anything.

You may have come across wildlife in the ones you've worked in, but you can not categorically state it to be true of all supermarket warehouses when it simply is not.

Fluffyears · 18/06/2017 22:49

well that's my experience and I'll just stick with it thanks.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 · 18/06/2017 23:00

well that's my experience and I'll just stick with it thanks.

And that's fine, I'm not saying otherwise.

What I am saying is that it's not true of every supermarket ever. Not sure why you seem to have such a problem with that Confused

RandomlyGenerated · 18/06/2017 23:00

There is frequently wildlife in my local Asda - in the store itself rather than the warehouse though.

Fluffyears · 18/06/2017 23:09

I don't have a problem at all I just said I'll stick with my own experience. You were the one saying I was categorically wrong and seemed to have a problem. Have a nice night.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 · 18/06/2017 23:20

Fluffyears You're clearly not reading my posts properly, because I didn't say you were "categorically wrong". What I said was that you can't state it categorically that your experience is true of every supermarket ever.

limitedperiodonly · 18/06/2017 23:27

It isn't law,

It really is. Look it up.

Meanwhil.e i like the idea that HSE regulations protect me. I know that someone got all up in the air about a poster referencing Grenfell Tower but I think it is perfectly proper to talk about that. If there are prosecutions, and I think that should be vigorously investigated, then they are likely to come under HSE rules

user1497403588 · 19/06/2017 00:22

I think he looked at you funny cause you kind of snapped at him. He was just letting you know it was health and safety and you seem to have given an abrupt response, rather than 'Oh really? sorry!'

he's just the cashier trying to follow the rules of his job, no need to take anything out on him Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.