My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Alcohol support

The freedom thread ( continued ) Riding the rollercoaster of an alcohol free life!

972 replies

Adm1010 · 23/01/2022 13:06

Hello all

This is a thread for people who have decided that life is much better without alcohol!🤩 These threads were started by @Drybird, and they have changed the lives of many people.

Some posters on these threads have been sober for a long time, and some are only just starting. We are a very friendly and inclusive bunch and we are always excited when someone new joins the thread. The only thing we ask is that our posters have given up alcohol completely. Talk of moderation can be triggering for some people, so this thread is not the right place for that (there are other moderation threads🙂).

We are a supportive welcoming bunch. No question is ever to “ silly “ and their is generally someone around if you are struggling

So just come here to chat or vent or check in . Whatever you need as you ride the rollercoaster of an alcohol free life Smile

Thankyou to bunnies for hosting the last thread.
And here’s to the next 40 pages Grin

OP posts:
Adm1010 · 27/01/2022 13:27

Sitting with you as well @Kindtomyself . You are not alone

OP posts:
AlloftheTime · 27/01/2022 13:37

#sittingwithkind
Solidarity with you anyone else having big feelings @Kindtomyself

Kindtomyself · 27/01/2022 13:37

Glad of the company @Adm1010 and @BunniesBunniesBunnies

Kindtomyself · 27/01/2022 13:37

And @AlloftheTime

Adm1010 · 27/01/2022 13:45

Just having a little rest after another busy day so far .

I went to the gym this morning !! Shock did half an hour on the treadmill which is all I could manage but it’s a start

OP posts:
Kindtomyself · 27/01/2022 13:52

That's great @Adm1010 - half an hour on the treadmill.

BunniesBunniesBunnies · 27/01/2022 15:00

That’s brilliant @Adm1010👍
I’ve been a bit up and down but just had a gorgeous run in the winter sun. Small pleasures!

Kindtomyself · 27/01/2022 15:12

Great @BunniesBunniesBunnies. I've done some yoga and meditation today and I'm just going out for a walk. I'm going to start running again soon but not sure I'm physically up for it just yet.

HangingOver · 27/01/2022 16:43

I'm at the dentist god help me ...

Does anyone else get such a THRILL from writing 0 in the How Many Units Question and knowing they aren't lying Grin

Adm1010 · 27/01/2022 16:53

@HangingOver yeah … I do ! Plus I’m DESPERATE to be pulled over and breathalysed Blush

OP posts:
mariannamarianna · 27/01/2022 16:57

Thanks all. I went to a meeting this afternoon. I'm not sure about it but I'm going to keep going. I still don't want to drink but back at work next week and dreading that. Guess it's just one day at a time

Adm1010 · 27/01/2022 17:00

AA has its place but it’s not a recovery style that would suit me . I’m more in the SMART recovery camp . The main thing is you are trying and you are not drinking alcohol at this stage , finding the recovery style to suit you may take time

OP posts:
HangingOver · 27/01/2022 17:17

Ditto, I'm a SMARTie too. Much prefer their approach.

mariannamarianna · 27/01/2022 17:48

I haven't looked into the smart approach. Going to do some reading tonight on it Smile

SavBbunny · 27/01/2022 17:56

I went to two different AA meetings. One shocking (violent stories), the other a jolly.
They have one called 'as bill sees it'.
Story based not confession.
I am on the torres tonight, a bit sweet.

Some family issues atm but if i was drinking alcohol I don't think my thought process would be so clear.

mariannamarianna · 27/01/2022 19:45

Ohh I saw the as bill sees it for some reason I thought it was that someone called Bill lead it. I have a lot to learn - it feels exhausting at times to find the right help doesn't it? Hopefully something will stick. I live in a little village and know the newsagent staff well (because I'm in their so much.) I've told them I'm stopping obviously they can still serve me and it's not their responsibility but now I've said it I would feel more ashamed to go in. Not sure if it was the right thing to do. My friend who is a gambling addict did it for the betting shops in our town but betting shops have a proper process for it.

SavBbunny · 27/01/2022 20:06

@mariannamarianna

I have lived in a village all of my life until recently. Nosy gits. I have told people I am having an op. They don't ask what. Tis true i am.
I am nearly three weeks af and it is getting easier

mariannamarianna · 27/01/2022 20:11

3 weeks is great. Well done.
Yeah village living isn't for me everyone has to know everything 😂😂

AlloftheTime · 27/01/2022 21:32

@ChampooPapi how has your week been?

Newmum738 · 27/01/2022 23:56

Went out with my mums group tonight for food and some drinks. Did fine with some AF beer and a lime & soda. Was speaking to my friend about how I'm not feeling great and she told me it might be the sugar in the AF drinks. I've now done my own research and it doesn't look great. She's made me think I'm better off just drinking the real thing!

AlloftheTime · 28/01/2022 02:11

@Newmum738

Went out with my mums group tonight for food and some drinks. Did fine with some AF beer and a lime & soda. Was speaking to my friend about how I'm not feeling great and she told me it might be the sugar in the AF drinks. I've now done my own research and it doesn't look great. She's made me think I'm better off just drinking the real thing!

Can you elaborate? I’m guessing there may be a fair amount of sugar in many AF drinks but not worse than consuming alcohol if you are aiming to be sober.
Newmum738 · 28/01/2022 06:35

@AlloftheTime she was telling me last time I saw her about the amount of sugar in AF drinks and I didn't want to her it. I thought the same as you that in comparison with what I was drinking it wouldn't be more. I've looked it up and not sure now though. I'd been saying that I haven't been feeling great (which is partly why I've given up alcohol) and she was saying the sugar might be an issue. I'm gutted because I think she has ruined those AF beers for me now!

ChampooPapi · 28/01/2022 07:06

Checking in 🙌

ChampooPapi · 28/01/2022 07:07

Need to catch up on the thread! First week of hospital placement so busy week. Hope all doing okay 💜

BunniesBunniesBunnies · 28/01/2022 07:31

Good luck @ChampooPapi with your placement🤩🤩🤩

@Newmum738, that’s a bit of a strange comment your friend made. The drinks you mention (lime soda and AF beer) are relatively low in sugar. Definitely lower in sugar than the alcohol alternative!!!

It is true that some AF drinks are very high in sugar. I once drank a whole bottle of a very sweet AF wine and felt quite unwell after it, when I checked the sugar content I was like😱😱😱

I’m quite sensitive to sugar but that are lots of delicious AF drinks quite low in sugar: Most AF lager is not too bad, I also drink lots of soda with fresh lime and ice, herbal teas and sometime Diet Fanta etc (I know diet sodas are not exactly the healthiest but…)

HOWEVER the main think here is your sobriety!!! If you find it helpful for your sobriety to drink sugary drinks (if you do, it actually doesn’t sound like you do) then crack on! You can deal with the sugar later. Your sobriety is the most important thing so don’t feel discouraged. Even if you were drinking sugary AF drinks it is still sooo much better for your body than alcohol, in so many ways.

My guess is that your friend is a bit jealous of/threatened by your sobriety😉 (Honestly this happens!). Keep doing what works for you, you are doing bloody great.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.