My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Alcohol support

The freedom thread ( continued ) Riding the rollercoaster of an alcohol free life!

972 replies

Adm1010 · 23/01/2022 13:06

Hello all

This is a thread for people who have decided that life is much better without alcohol!🤩 These threads were started by @Drybird, and they have changed the lives of many people.

Some posters on these threads have been sober for a long time, and some are only just starting. We are a very friendly and inclusive bunch and we are always excited when someone new joins the thread. The only thing we ask is that our posters have given up alcohol completely. Talk of moderation can be triggering for some people, so this thread is not the right place for that (there are other moderation threads🙂).

We are a supportive welcoming bunch. No question is ever to “ silly “ and their is generally someone around if you are struggling

So just come here to chat or vent or check in . Whatever you need as you ride the rollercoaster of an alcohol free life Smile

Thankyou to bunnies for hosting the last thread.
And here’s to the next 40 pages Grin

OP posts:
Adm1010 · 25/01/2022 15:45

Just gobsmacking isn’t it! Tbh I’d rather he sent nothing . I’m insulted

OP posts:
Touty · 25/01/2022 21:51

@Adm1010 yes indeed. I think I need to stop looking to others including my DH for fulfillment.

@SavBbunny thanks so much for reading. I just sense that the feelings aren't there's anymore, is it male menopause? I don't know, I just feel sad. I know he is very tired from work at the moment but we all get tired. Don't really feel I can talk to him about it, I guess it's pride and fear of rejection. I can't deal with rejection at the moment and being sober so I just ignore the issue.

Touty · 25/01/2022 21:59

Hola @Kindtomyself I definitely think that physical ailments could be emotional based. I keep feeling stressed like it's heart pain etc, I'm just hoping that it's anxiety.
The journaling here does help, I guess it's like going to group therapy in a way. I think that is the difference from just writing a paper journal, writing here we know people are listening and often take time to comment. I guess it's about being heard.

Touty · 25/01/2022 22:03

@LowlyTheWorm welcome.
Yes it's something my therapist said to me once, about taking the adult child as a little girl by the hand and out of harms way.

Kindtomyself · 25/01/2022 22:14

@Touty I'm reading a book called Healing the Lost Inner Child by Robert Jackman at the moment. Finding it useful.

SavBbunny · 26/01/2022 06:53

Morning all, day 18.

A bit of success in the co op. Nosecco £3, quite nice. Very fizzy. Managed two glasses but daughter had helped herself.
Had first challenge to not drinking yesterday, 'dry January?' says the lady. I didn't out myself just said operation. Worked fine.
Younger brother taken turn for the worse. (he has kidney disease through alcohol). The family fights started. I had a a very clear head to deal with it. Poor soul.
Best friend and I to the pub today. They have af stuff plus great food. Need to get out and about.
Used booze money for manicure yesterday.
Nearly finished new book so must get a new one.
Have a good day all.

BunniesBunniesBunnies · 26/01/2022 07:24

Just checking in.
That’s so nice @SavBbunny that you have a manicure.
And well done @PromisesMeanNothingSue (I think it was you!) on the upcoming milestone!

Big respect for everyone continuing to sit with difficult feelings. Keep going, it’s worth it.

LynnDaBogTrotter · 26/01/2022 07:37

Hello just checking in one the new thread…. Day 11

Adm1010 · 26/01/2022 08:36

Morning all . Going to have a slower day today , after clearing that room yesterday my back and my hip are singing to me !

The eating is very slightly improved this week . I’m not munching crisps mindlessly and have been trying to only eat when I’m hungry . I’ll keep at it . Slow progress .

Have a good sober day everyone x

OP posts:
Newmum738 · 26/01/2022 12:01

@Adm1010 I have a brother like yours. I've come to accept it and try to keep my distance. When he comes to family things, he brings a right attitude so I prefer him to just keep away. It is completely the problem of your sibling and not you. Some people have got no idea. Take the fiver, try not to be too insulted and enjoy the party for your parents, it sounds like it will be wonderful. I hope he isn't the type to try and take the credit! If that did happen, I'd totally out him if it was me! Shock

Adm1010 · 26/01/2022 13:08

@Newmum738 he won’t try to take any credit , if he tried that I think I’d blow the roof off!! Grin
My mum and dad are truly fabulous parents so i genuinely do not begrudge a penny … but a fiver??? Jesus . Last straw this I think

OP posts:
SavBbunny · 26/01/2022 16:25

Afternoon folks. I have been to the pub and didn't drink alcohol! Had a J20, bloody horrid. Passion fruit and orange. A nasty business.

Had a nice fish and chips so i can sit on my arse and finish my book. The husband has chilli made Monday.
Good news on a new abode for my brother. My best friend will take him in as a lodger. She is moving to a farm. We will broach it next week if he is feeling better post covid.
My sister has space but wouldn't give you a cold! Farm has animals and our grandfather was a farmer . Might offer restbite for him. I hope everyone is having a good day.

AlloftheTime · 26/01/2022 16:32

@Touty we all need to heard don’t we? - I think we have a need to be acknowledged and understood as individuals. If that is lacking in our relationships and life for any length of time it can undermine us and affect our self esteem.
I like what you’ve said about not looking to others for fulfilment as it makes good sense to me.

Adm1010 · 26/01/2022 16:34

Having a good day here . I’ve bought a bottle of AF kopperberg . I’ll report back

OP posts:
PrisonerofZeroCovid · 26/01/2022 23:45

Glad everyone is doing well. My AF find was M&S kombucha (the apple one). Tasted a bit like like apple juice mixed with vinegar but was weirdly pleasant for it. 11 cals per can so a good low cal option that isn't artificial sweetened. Helped that everyone else was drinking red, which I'm not a fan of, plus I was driving. I do love not having to faff with taxis (very cheap and plentiful here but the driving can be "variable" to say in the least).

I've definitely lost a little bit of weight, especially around my middle - I was getting a bit of that peri-menopausal apple look, having been a lifelong pear. I'm still a little bitter that big butts only got fashionable when I was too old to care anymore Grin

mariannamarianna · 27/01/2022 00:53

Hi,

I have spent all evening reading through stories on these threads. Thanks for sharing they've helped.

I am on day 4 I had to go to hospital because I was withdrawing so badly. I am feeling ok now and want to try go to my first AA meeting today. Hopefully I can make it there and not be too scared!! I'm so ready to stop and admit I have problems.

SavBbunny · 27/01/2022 05:36

Hi@mariannamarianna

Hello. Sorry to hear you weren't so well. I found AA helpful. They really do try to help. All types of people.
Perhaps one of the reasons we drink is loneliness? I know it is one of my triggers. With AA they acknowledge that and there us always someone to talk to. Well done for 4 days.

SavBbunny · 27/01/2022 05:41

Good early morning all.
Drank the last glass of Nosecco (co op) with my salad. I can live with that.
Best friend has suggested not to bother going to coffee morning tomorrow as I may get upset. We will see how I feel in the morning.
Otherwise all is well. Day 19.

BunniesBunniesBunnies · 27/01/2022 06:40

Just quickly popping on to say welcome to @mariannamarianna, 4 days is amazing, well done!!! Be prepared to feel rough for a little while (and sorry to hear you’re suffering from withdrawal), but stick with it, the rewards are amazing. I cannot believe how much my life has changed🤩

Look after yourself, keep posting and stay strong, you can do it💪💪💪

Adm1010 · 27/01/2022 08:43

@mariannamarianna day 4 is brilliant well done . AA has its place , I hope it’s what you need . How’s the withdrawal now ?

OP posts:
Adm1010 · 27/01/2022 08:44

Btw not keen on the kopperberg . To sweet and VERY high calorie

OP posts:
BunniesBunniesBunnies · 27/01/2022 09:11

@Adm1010 I’m with you on the Koppaberg! It is very sweet (haven’t tried the AF version but even the alcoholic one is super sweet).

I guess it hits the spot if you have a sweet tooth/sweet craving though!

Kindtomyself · 27/01/2022 10:42

Morning all.
Welcome @mariannamarianna and great news on day 4. Let us know how your meeting goes this evening.

Still sitting with emotions and physical sensations here

Kindtomyself · 27/01/2022 10:43

I mean physical sensations as a result of my emotions rather than because of withdrawal

BunniesBunniesBunnies · 27/01/2022 11:03

I’ll sit with you @Kindtomyself ☕️
I still find it hard sitting with mine but I have learned that the feelings pass. Sometimes quickly, sometimes more slowly but they pass.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.