My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Alcohol support

The freedom thread ( continued ) Riding the rollercoaster of an alcohol free life!

972 replies

Adm1010 · 23/01/2022 13:06

Hello all

This is a thread for people who have decided that life is much better without alcohol!🤩 These threads were started by @Drybird, and they have changed the lives of many people.

Some posters on these threads have been sober for a long time, and some are only just starting. We are a very friendly and inclusive bunch and we are always excited when someone new joins the thread. The only thing we ask is that our posters have given up alcohol completely. Talk of moderation can be triggering for some people, so this thread is not the right place for that (there are other moderation threads🙂).

We are a supportive welcoming bunch. No question is ever to “ silly “ and their is generally someone around if you are struggling

So just come here to chat or vent or check in . Whatever you need as you ride the rollercoaster of an alcohol free life Smile

Thankyou to bunnies for hosting the last thread.
And here’s to the next 40 pages Grin

OP posts:
AlloftheTime · 28/01/2022 07:47

@ChampooPapi

Need to catch up on the thread! First week of hospital placement so busy week. Hope all doing okay 💜

Well done you!
All the best with your placement 👍
@Newmum738 how long have you been AF it took a while for me to really feel the benefits
Adm1010 · 28/01/2022 08:19

@Newmum738 I echo completely what bunnies has said re: your friends weird comment . Honestly some people need a slap upside the head!!!

Bad nights sleep last night my back was killing me ! The tossing turning and sweating reminded me of my drinking days . I don’t miss the waking at 3am with the crushing disappointment that I’ve done it AGAIN and the crippling anxiety / beer fear. Awful

Going picking my middle son up today , he’s home for the weekend for the “ do “ eldest son comes tomorrow . I’ll be a happy ( sober ) mum tomorrow with all my boys round me !

OP posts:
Adm1010 · 28/01/2022 08:20

@ChampooPapi hi!! What dept is your placement ?

OP posts:
Newmum738 · 28/01/2022 09:08

@AlloftheTime 61 days AF. @BunniesBunniesBunnies that's what I thought - do whatever it takes now and reduce the sugar intake later. I tried to explain to her that the alternatives are to start drinking again or transfer to soft drinks which are much worse. She might be envious, I don't know. I think I might be perimenopausal and she had been talking about this last year so I'd asked if she had seen a GP about it. She hadn't but was suggesting I consider nutrition which could be worthwhile. Go her, she would start with me stopping the AF drinks but that would be completely counter productive for me. Maybe I need to explain that to her next time.

Newmum738 · 28/01/2022 09:10

@Adm1010 sorry to hear about your bad night sleep. I'd already gone to bed late and then had DH wake me up coming to bed and DS get me up at 5.50 this morning so I sympathise! Hope you enjoy having your family around and have a great party!

SavBbunny · 28/01/2022 09:18

Morning all. Day 20 and overslept!
Just had chat to GP, got a gold star for giving up the booze. Feel like a kid.
Organising first wls appointments.

I am not really a sugar person (don't eat chocolate or puds) loved my wine and cheese. Some of the AF wines are sweet, Nosecco isn't.
I remember our AA leader saying you won't get pulled over for sugar driving! What he ment was a few sweets are far less dangerous than alcohol.
It is really getting easier. I am off to the coffee morning. Say a little prayer for me good people.

BunniesBunniesBunnies · 28/01/2022 09:48

@SavBbunny that’s ace that your GP is recognising the effort you’re putting in with the booze!

@Adm1010 enjoy having all your boys together😊

@Newmum738 you could explain it to her but tbh I have found it a revelation that I don’t owe anyone an explanation! I will explain if someone is kind and curious, but if not I just shrug and say “well, it’s working for me!”.

JillyC2022 · 28/01/2022 11:15

I would like to join in here please.

Just started today, going completely alcohol free.

Kindtomyself · 28/01/2022 11:32

Hello @JillyC2022 and welcome.

SavBbunny · 28/01/2022 14:07

Afternoon all.
I survived the coffee morning!
Nothing hurtful was said.
Complimented on glowing skin.

SeasideRock · 28/01/2022 14:40

Hello! May I join in? I'm on day 7..., so far, so good. Can't quite believe I'm doing this.

JillyC2022 · 28/01/2022 19:29

@Kindtomyself

Hello *@JillyC2022* and welcome.

Thank you so much. Smile
Adm1010 · 28/01/2022 19:39

Welcome @JillyC2022 and @SeasideRock

All the shopping is fine for tomorrow . This includes the alcohol ( plenty of it ) . I have no desire at all to drink it . It’s sat there and I’m not bothered . Is this a corner ?? Who knows but I’m embracing it ( whilst not taking my eye off the ball obvs )

OP posts:
Adm1010 · 28/01/2022 19:40

Done not fine

OP posts:
Adm1010 · 28/01/2022 19:43

@SavBbunny glad you survived and fabulous about the skin! Can you see a difference ?

OP posts:
iamyourequal · 28/01/2022 20:29

Hi All! Good on you @Adm1010 starting a new thread. Ive just read all of it. I’m with you all on the trials and tribulations. I don’t have the memory to namecheck everyone, but wish you all well (especially those struggling with tight-arse brothers and flaky friends!!)
Welcome all newbies, great you have joined us.

Im 150 days since stopped drinking today. I don’t feel quite able to write 150AF, as you may remember I had few random glugs from my DH wine glass over the Christmas hols when stressed out my box hosting relatives. January has been much easier. Anyway, I’m still feeling very proud of myself. I’ve been lower profile on the forums in January as it was taking too much of my time and I was neglecting other things. It’s nice to be back with you all now.

All others still with us but not posted in a while, it would be smashing to let us know how you are getting on too. Happy weekend everyone!

Kindtomyself · 28/01/2022 22:51

@SeasideRock hello and welcome, well done on 7 days. @JillyC2022 hope day 1 has been ok.

Hello @iamyourequal.

Bestlife19 · 28/01/2022 23:49

Thanks for setting this up so pleased I found you all!

A slight tangent on the discussion but really bothering me! Do you find you don’t go out because you don’t drink? I used to be the life and soul; always last to leave, etc. Stopped drinking as since I had kids (9 yrs ago) I have an autoimmune condition and alcohol flares it up so I’m in pain for weeks, as does gluten, sugar, egg etc so eating out is hard too. I feel like I’ve gone from being fun, go with the flow, to the teetotal health freak person. So I find I don’t like eating out as I’m generally in pain afterwards and nervous what will be on the menu, feel awkward as the whats app chats are always about the booze involved, cozy bottle of red, boozy fun night etc etc, so I feel just like I already am kind of outside the booze part of the gathering, it’s really hard to explain! I actually feel just as chatty as when I drank & the rare occasion we go somewhere with a dance floor I am happy to be the first on the dance floor- I think people find that strange when you’re not drinking! But yet I find I’m mostly not invited to stuff since not drinking, which I feel a bit sad about, but yet when I am invited I feel like I worry about the food and being out of the booze scene and feel like I’d rather curl up with a book, save the time and meet a friend for coffee or go for a country walk with my kids / a friend / hubby / do something on my never ending to do list. Am I really boring?! Should I force myself to go out and not be so boring. I do want to keep in touch with people too. I work from home alone but meet normally friends (diff groups) for a coffee once a wk & couple of kids friends family gatherings a month, so not a complete hermit but not loads going on either. Hubby is v sociable and out for drinks with work / school dads twice a week so think that makes me feel more aware that I’m not doing the same. Also aware he probably misses out date nights / cocktails together etc so happy he goes out so he gets his social fix. Such a first world problem
But really getting to me. Is anyone else bothered by all of this? Help!

Bestlife19 · 28/01/2022 23:51

Ps I’ve had about 6 drinks in 8 years and weeks of agony after each one so I am definitely alcohol free and apart from
The above I love it. Btw try kombucha drinks in a wine glass with ice it’s lovely you wouldn’t miss not drinking. Go kombucha brand is lovely xx

Bestlife19 · 28/01/2022 23:57

Love this I’ll definitely use this thanks x

Bestlife19 · 29/01/2022 00:13

@BunniesBunniesBunnies this is really useful I’ll definitely use this thanks!

SavBbunny · 29/01/2022 02:12

@Bestlife19

I am quite new to AF but have at times given up the grape.
What I tend to do when out is order fillet steak/shellfish so I feel I am having a treat.
I am on a mission to find decent af wine (not managed it yet).
My SIL is af and she has made new friends through pilates. Find a gentle one!
My husband doesn't really drink so it is easier than your situation.
I would encourage you to find a new hobby that doesn't need booze. I am going to dressmaking as I use to make my own clothes as a teenager. Swimming when I am a bit lighter.

Justus77 · 29/01/2022 03:02

What a great thread.

i'm a yo-yo drinker- When i was drinking I would start early and carry on and on. But then can go long stints of feeling great and then end up back on it. Determined to beat it for good.

i joined a support group, was ok but came with its own issues.

I do find i eat more when not drinking. havingsaid that I didnt really feel the need to eat when drinking but on day 18 this time and crave sweet food. Have taken to ensuring there is always sugar free jelly made up in fridge. Squirty low fat cream and thats my treat!

SavBbunny · 29/01/2022 04:36

Morning all. Day 21 and blinking starving, hence up early. Just going to scoff a yoghurt.
Handled tricky person yesterday with full clarity and it felt great.
A friend asked me yesterday what am I going to drink at weddings? As we are of an age of divorces it doesn't apply much! I shall take my own.
Diet going well and hopefully the house move is back in play.
Have a good Saturday sober sisters.

Onewildandpreciouslife · 29/01/2022 06:56

Ha @SavBbunny! I know what you mean. The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober has a whole chapter on not drinking at weddings- I skipped that one!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.