My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Alcohol support

The freedom thread ( continued ) Riding the rollercoaster of an alcohol free life!

972 replies

Adm1010 · 23/01/2022 13:06

Hello all

This is a thread for people who have decided that life is much better without alcohol!🀩 These threads were started by @Drybird, and they have changed the lives of many people.

Some posters on these threads have been sober for a long time, and some are only just starting. We are a very friendly and inclusive bunch and we are always excited when someone new joins the thread. The only thing we ask is that our posters have given up alcohol completely. Talk of moderation can be triggering for some people, so this thread is not the right place for that (there are other moderation threadsπŸ™‚).

We are a supportive welcoming bunch. No question is ever to β€œ silly β€œ and their is generally someone around if you are struggling

So just come here to chat or vent or check in . Whatever you need as you ride the rollercoaster of an alcohol free life Smile

Thankyou to bunnies for hosting the last thread.
And here’s to the next 40 pages Grin

OP posts:
HangingOver · 22/03/2022 23:09

Checking in. Still here, still sober still mental .

SavBbunny · 23/03/2022 06:18

Morning all.
Can't believe I didn't go on the champers last night. I am a little bit gobsmacked to have won award for my work at the company I got ousted from (sham redundancy to save the company from a law suit by avenging new mum). The old bird was the fall guy. However will be a huge boast to the job prospects.
Was hunting lipstick last night not wine!

AlloftheTime · 23/03/2022 06:36

Quick check in hoping to be home from hospital by end of week. Much improved but a way to go yet. @ChampooPapi πŸ‘
Well done on award Sav
Wishing all a good day - not sure I will ever catch up on all the thread but I do pop in and read during the day

Drybird2020 · 23/03/2022 07:43

@SavBbunny get a Chanel one.

@HangingOver - still sober: still yourself.

@AlloftheTime I hope you get home soon. Have you enjoyed telling medics that you don't drink? Small comforts...

@BunniesBunniesBunnies I have supposedly quit chocolate and sweeties for lent. Your mention of chocolate truffles is triggering me ...πŸ˜„πŸ₯΄

SavBbunny · 23/03/2022 07:47

@Drybird2020 I work in the beauty industry so tend to buy cult brands.

However defo got to have a treat.

Breathmiller · 23/03/2022 09:36

@HangingOver

Checking in. Still here, still sober still mental .

Great to see you hangingover

We are nearly at the end of this thread.
champoopapi did you say you'd like to take the baton for the next one? It can be a great way to keep you on track and accountable.
Breathmiller · 23/03/2022 09:49

Sorry if this triggers you even more drybird but I have to tell the world that I was given a huge box of BoojaBooja chocolates by a client and it's been in the cupboard UNTOUCHED because I have not had any sugar for 22 days! This is unheard for me. Its not really about the sugar itself but I am practicing will power and self discipline. Quite proud of meself, so I am.

And again, it absolutely all stems from the self discipline I learned from quitting alcohol.

I think I'm actually having a bit of a pink cloud moment from stopping sugar, I am dropping weight naturally without dieting. My skin looks AMAZING. I have more energy. And just generally feel fab.

I have also started taking a multi vitamin for menopause, so that could also be a factor and my issues around the menopause have settled. I was due to get an ablation but I might stick with the mirena coil I had put in til all this is over. I didn't think I'd say that as it has taken 6 months for it to settle.

I wonder if a lot of the health benefits that many felt when stopping drinking were also the lack of sugar intake. If they didn't use sugar as a replacement that is.

I have to say that I have also reintroduced eggs to my vegan diet which I think makes a big difference to my health. I get them locally so not from the shops but it was still quite a big change for me.

Anyway, I know I know - no talk of moderation on this thread but although at the end of the month I won't be as strict with the no sugar rule, there will be some changes that I plan on sticking with. I can't believe the difference.

Happy midweek all. I am ticking off my list like a boss and managing not only to enjoy each part of it but find pockets of downtime too.

BunniesBunniesBunnies · 23/03/2022 10:58

Sorry for triggering you @Drybird2020πŸ˜‚
@Breathmiller the BoojaBooja ones are my favourites!!!🀩🀩🀩 Such self restraint you have🀩

Breathmiller · 23/03/2022 11:42

I'm a paragon of virtue πŸ˜‡πŸ˜…

Kindtomyself · 23/03/2022 12:02

@Breathmiller

Sorry if this triggers you even more drybird but I have to tell the world that I was given a huge box of BoojaBooja chocolates by a client and it's been in the cupboard UNTOUCHED because I have not had any sugar for 22 days! This is unheard for me. Its not really about the sugar itself but I am practicing will power and self discipline. Quite proud of meself, so I am.

And again, it absolutely all stems from the self discipline I learned from quitting alcohol.

I think I'm actually having a bit of a pink cloud moment from stopping sugar, I am dropping weight naturally without dieting. My skin looks AMAZING. I have more energy. And just generally feel fab.

I have also started taking a multi vitamin for menopause, so that could also be a factor and my issues around the menopause have settled. I was due to get an ablation but I might stick with the mirena coil I had put in til all this is over. I didn't think I'd say that as it has taken 6 months for it to settle.

I wonder if a lot of the health benefits that many felt when stopping drinking were also the lack of sugar intake. If they didn't use sugar as a replacement that is.

I have to say that I have also reintroduced eggs to my vegan diet which I think makes a big difference to my health. I get them locally so not from the shops but it was still quite a big change for me.

Anyway, I know I know - no talk of moderation on this thread but although at the end of the month I won't be as strict with the no sugar rule, there will be some changes that I plan on sticking with. I can't believe the difference.

Happy midweek all. I am ticking off my list like a boss and managing not only to enjoy each part of it but find pockets of downtime too.

I'm really interested in this. My diet isn't very good- I'm constantly craving something but not sure quite what - what I mean is my body is trying to tell me I'm missing something from my diet but I don't know what it is. I think I need some vitamins for menopause but not sure what to get. Also when you say giving up sugar does this include bread and fruit?
Kindtomyself · 23/03/2022 12:37

Congratulations on your award @SavBbunny. That's bloody fabulous

Breathmiller · 23/03/2022 14:30

kindtomyself I have still been eating bread and fruit. It's just added processed sugar I've eliminated. I am gluten free though so don't eat a huge amount of gf bread anyway.

But, the amount of things that have sugar added has been an eye opener. Oven chips? pizzas? Olives. Antipasta. And 'health' bars. Sauces, mustards. All with different names but basically sugar. I also deliberately haven't had sweeteners so that I wasn't just fooling myself with fake sugar tastes. No maple syrup or anything like that.

I have had fruit though, gf bread as long as it had no sugar added. Dates (which suddenly taste like sweet caramel). Raisins but I haven't gone overboard on them. If I have fancied a sweet treat I have had these naked bars.

I have been drinking water or tea and one small coffee a day. On a weekend I've been having pure apple and mango juice (no added sugar) half and half with fizzy water. That has been delicious and not an AF drink as they are so full of sugar.

Swapped some things. I used to love Soya greek yoghurt but it had sugar in it. But Oatly Hreek yoghurt doesn't and I now prefer it anyway.

I've eaten if I'm hungry, not felt like I'm denying myself. Had a lot of good fats, nuts, nut butters etc which I think fill me up.

It all feels really good.

Breathmiller · 23/03/2022 14:56

Oh and the vitamin was just an impulse buy in Tesco of their Menopause multi vitamin. I'm not usually a fan of taking too many supplements but I do think thsi one may be doing some good.
Could be a mixture of things of course. Who knows?

I had started to have real issues with sleeping and night time anxiety due to the menopause but it went almost instantly when I stopped drinking. I think I had flashes (ha!) of hot flushes too but they seemed to stop then too.

For those that find it hard have a reason why they're not drinking anymore (not that you need a reason of course but I know it can help) I use the menopause as my go to. It's not a lie to be fair but if questioned I just say that once I hit menopause it affected me really badly so I just stopped and it has helped my menopause symptoms.

ChampooPapi · 23/03/2022 19:03

Waves at everyone πŸ™‹

@Breathmiller I'm going to, yes I'd really like to. I'll copy and paste the heading as best I can now

ChampooPapi · 23/03/2022 19:09

I've done it but my phone is refusing to post the link if someone else can πŸ™

Blackberryblossom · 23/03/2022 19:37

Popping in here while there's still a bit of space! @BunniesBunniesBunnies- I hope the baby bunnies are all OK. @Breathmiller - I am sat in the car with a flask of decaff tea nodding along with your post a page or so back. Drinking me would never have believed that an early evening cuppa could be quite so wonderful. Congrats on stepping away from the sugar. That particular substance is even more insidious than alcohol. Respect! Congrats to @SavBbunny on the award, was that a bunch of mixed feelings? Also congrats to everyone who's marking another 24hrs. I forgot who it is who's booked the painting course with money saved - that is completely brilliant! Thinking of everyone struggling with health and/or life in general too.

Today is a big one for me - 500 days AF. They flew by, eventually. I'm still a bit worried about staying strong during a proper summer holuday this year... but I should have the tools for that now and there's no point borrowing trouble. Anyway. Still waiting for my new bike πŸ˜‚ hopefully this weekend. Huge thank you to @Drybird2020 breathmiller bunnies and everyone who's hosted here and everyone who posts. It feels so brilliant not to be alone in this way of life. I can't overstate how great it was, particularly in the early days, to have every milestone celebrated even the ones that we think are small but are actually huge, like not pouring a drink out of habit on a stressful day. You're all excellent.

Breathmiller · 23/03/2022 21:30

500 days blackberryblossom 🎊🎊🎊🎊 huge congratulations. (I am trying to work that out in months but my brain is tired)

You're right these threads have been the anchor through this for me too and everyone on them have been so supportive.

Enjoy your delicious tea.

Breathmiller · 23/03/2022 21:31
Fortheloveofgodwhy · 24/03/2022 10:35

amazing 500days @Blackberryblossom, it was me who booked the painting course.

Had another new experience AF day yesterday, youngest child was in a school choir thing up at Wembley Arena, so i met my sister for lunch and had lemonade, then had just water during the 'event' I almost definitely would have desperately wanted to have a drink even if i hadn't actually had one before. I would have been watching the people with their beers and the like walking past and debating if i could acceptably go as part of the parent crew and if one other parent had gone to the bar i would have caved.. as it was i don't think any of the parents drank. there were only 10 or 12 of us. And i actually fetl a bit sorry for the people who were sneaking out to the bar in the middle of a primary school choir concert to pay Β£8 for a meager warm pint and a plastic glass... that they then had to balance on their knee just because they felt they needed it for the experience.. so a good revelation and positive feedback for AF events!

Crunchymum · 24/03/2022 13:48

Happy 500 days to you Blackberryblossom

What a phenomenal achievement. Life must be very different now?

I'm still not there with the idea of forever but I'm currently just telling people I'm not drinking at the moment. I can't think that far ahead.

Dahlia91 · 06/04/2022 23:03

I need some accountability so I'm posting on here hoping someone will respond.

I need to stop drinking and previously have managed big periods but then a social event will come, I think I can handle it but really I don't know when to stop. This doesn't happen every time I drink or at every social situation I drink at, but it happens enough that the anxiety and worry the next day is cropping up and making me feel rubbish too much.

So I just came back from an in-person 3 day work conference. I had decided I wasn't going to drink at all as last time I did at this event years ago I drank too much, missed half a day of the event and was probably obviously pissed/hung over. Well, I failed again, not to quite the same level but last night I stayed up really late with some of the attendees drinking/chatting. Felt awful today, but mainly the worry about saying/doing something embarrassing because there's big bits I can't remember - including going back to my room/bed!!

It was all going so well as well! Its like when a social situation I had been nervous about is actually going well I don't know when to stop/don't seem able to pay attention to how drunk I'm getting.

Anyway I've decided I need to stop. I can't moderate, I suck at it. My 3 year old recently joked he was 'drinking his alcohol'... I don't want him to think of me and think of wine!!

I loved when I was pregnant as it meant an excuse for not drinking that no one could judge, I am so worried about what people will think/how to approach not drinking in social situations that thats why event when I've said to myself I won't drink, I end up doing, as I don't know how to say no thanks without feeling awkward.

Please help!!

SavBbunny · 07/04/2022 05:04

@Dahlia91

Good morning, I hope you are feeling better today having made the decision to go AF.
We are a friendly bunch but have a new thread. (we stop at about 40 pages).
@ChampooPapi could you post the link as I am rubbish at that?
I experienced similar anxiety issues around alcohol. I too go on big conferences and felt alcohol was required. It ended up making me very ill.
89 days for me and in general I felt better without it. I am also enjoying happier relationships with my husband and children (18/22) who hated my drinking. I was embarrassed many times by my failure to know when i had had enough.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.