Talk

Advanced search

This is what Helen from Mermaids writes about MN feminist posters

(490 Posts)
AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Sun 25-Feb-18 12:05:45

"If you’re a Mum and on mn that often to have time to engage with ‘feminist’ forums, you’re more likely to be a ‘stay at home mum’. These are bored middle-class women putting their privileged Uni-educated thoughts to oppressing a small, vulnerable, oppressed sector of society"

Nice bit of sexism going on there

twitter.com/mimmymum/status/967731110322036736

Geronimoleapinglizards Sun 25-Feb-18 12:07:01

What a mean, offensive thing to say.

From someone who isn't a stay at home mum.

RowenaDedalus Sun 25-Feb-18 12:07:06

Wow.

C0untDucku1a Sun 25-Feb-18 12:07:46

Also not a stay at home
Mum. In fact work full time
Hours.

Notmyrealname85 Sun 25-Feb-18 12:08:51

Nice generalisation about stay at home mums angry

Notmyrealname85 Sun 25-Feb-18 12:09:41

And i work full time so if they think only stay at home mums think this, they’re wrong. You have a lot more people to convince thanks

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 12:11:53

Sahm - nope
Bored - definitely not!
Middle class - not really
Uneducated - 2 degrees, 2 postgrads and a chartered status is enough for you?
Woman - guilty as charged

Silly creature. She definitely needs to get out more.

StealthPolarBear Sun 25-Feb-18 12:12:02

As a ft woman I'd also like to add a loud
BOLLOCKS
and a suggestion she works on argument formation

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Sun 25-Feb-18 12:12:13

Also the TIM who says on that thread

"And of course they don't realise we designed and built the chips that live inside their smartphone or tablet.."

Because we have been staying at home raising babies while the brave TIM was doing STEM. And is now a lady in STEM

twitter.com/helresa/status/967717616562458630

Pity the tech savvy ladee doesn't realise us silly cis wimmen can get around twitter blocks to reveal the sexist shite that they really think

Ekphrasis Sun 25-Feb-18 12:12:53

There's also a comment about us all being mad cat women from someone else on a discussion.

We we know how very much they're into stereotypes especially sexist homophobic stereotypes too.

From a working mum. With no cats.

UpstartCrow Sun 25-Feb-18 12:13:36

LOL! I doubt she would park her car and walk to the shops where I live.
PS its Sunday, even working women get the odd day off.

pastabest Sun 25-Feb-18 12:13:44

Ah yes, feminism, that movement well known for being all about being a stay at home housewife and living off your husband's income.

Gentlygently Sun 25-Feb-18 12:13:45

Hmm. Mumsnet should ask us in their next survey. It gets very annoying when people state opinions as fact. Particularly when the facts are sometimes clearly the opposite!

lovetheway Sun 25-Feb-18 12:14:09

Perhaps. But at least we don't get our children castrated.

MrsDoyleFallingOutTheWindow Sun 25-Feb-18 12:15:08

This is just misogyny isn't it. No surprise then.

Floisme Sun 25-Feb-18 12:15:15

I hope that comment spreads far and wide, that people take screenshots and that it's quoted back at her forevermore.
It reveals far more and Helen - and, if tweeting in an official capacity, Mermaids too - than it does about anyone else.

StealthPolarBear Sun 25-Feb-18 12:16:39

Lol lovetheway

StealthPolarBear Sun 25-Feb-18 12:17:00

Actually not lol. It'd be funny if it wasn't actually happening

Datun Sun 25-Feb-18 12:17:35

It's extremely telling quite how many people make the misogynist mistake of assuming that mumsnet is full of boring, innane women.

Particularly when you consider that there are twelve million of us.

I expect all the judges, politicians, authors, actors, royalty, lawyers, physicists, endocrinologists, journalists, gender identity experts, trans-people, doctors, midwives and engineers who post on here all see that for the laughable attitude it is.

And it's quite extraordinary to imagine that this is the first place people will encounter trans people.

When very many people post on here, precisely because they know trans people. Or are trans people!

Still, any time someone mentions MN in a derogatory way, more people flock here and join the debate.

The only debate. And the largest.

You couldn't pay for advertising as effective as that.

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Sun 25-Feb-18 12:18:27

Hahaha

It gets better:

"Mumsnet (specifically the womens_rights boards are quite literally Transphobe Central™. It's the social media site with a radical extremist problem that nobody ever talks about."

twitter.com/aliwilkin/status/967728545110818816

Mumsnet - the ISIS for transphobes!

Fuck sake, call in the Met, Mumsnet fems are radicalising women everywhere

Ekphrasis Sun 25-Feb-18 12:19:45

Oh and apparently mn is the only and first place we've come across trans people.

Nope and nope. Lots of experience pre children, and pre mn. Just the only place the wider debate is actually debated.

Datun Sun 25-Feb-18 12:21:16

And apart from anything else, aren't middle-class stay at home mothers afforded the same rights as all woman?

Where does that bit of classist nonsense come from?

UpstartCrow Sun 25-Feb-18 12:22:06

Wait, are people 'being paranoid' or not?

NotTerfNorCis Sun 25-Feb-18 12:22:11

Incidentally, the terf leaders who use Transphobe Central™ to disseminate/'educate' (brainwash)/inflame their followers, (fairer place/tt etc) are listed as partners on 'Hands Across the Aisle', an evangelical/hard right wing/terf alliance started last year.

Informed debate is brainwashing now. confused As for Hands Across the Aisle, never heard of it.

whoputthecatout Sun 25-Feb-18 12:22:19

Yeah. I'm stay at home on account of the fact that I have just retired after 50 years of full time work (while raising a couple of kids).

Actually, I am quite cheered that we are being sneered at by the likes of Mermaids. Who the hell would want praise from her? If we got praise it would show we were doing something seriously wrong.

Cheers Helen!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: