Talk

Advanced search

Trans friendly thread!

(1000 Posts)
100lbtolose Tue 23-Jan-18 14:43:22

Hi MNers!

Just first of all want to say this isn't going to be a goady thread or a place to slag anyone off of be abusive. Everyone can have an opinion and everyone's allowed to think that they like.

2nd, if your anti-trans or don't believe trans people should be alllwed to self ID or that they aren't the gender they say they are etc pls be respectful and don't post here. There are loads of threads about all kinds of discussions about being trans that you can post on and I think it would be fair if you didn't do that here. I Obviously can't prevent anyone but It would be nice for this space to be respected as trans friendly and not taken over for other reasons. If you don't agree just leave and post somewhere else instead of using this thread please!

That now said - I'm all for trans rights and I think trans men are men and transwomen are women. I don't know if many MNers feel the same but if you do say hi! Or if anyone is trans know that you have an ally in me grin this thread can be for a chat or support or (friendly!) discussion. Or maybe I'm the only one here lol and I can just talk to myself...

RebeccaWrongDaily Tue 23-Jan-18 14:48:47

why is this in feminism? if not to goad (lol)

irretating Tue 23-Jan-18 14:49:16

Do you know how babies are made?

Datun Tue 23-Jan-18 14:51:03

There is an LGBT section on here. Probably best to put it in there.

YouCantBeSirius Tue 23-Jan-18 14:51:25

Oh FFS

Hammerofthetwat Tue 23-Jan-18 14:52:21

picks up mug of tea, and backs out looking uneasy

MoseShrute Tue 23-Jan-18 14:52:32

Just to point out that in your first paragraph you say that "everyone can have an opinion and everyone's allowed to think what they like" but in your second paragraph you ask for people not to post unless they agree with you re trans women are women etc.
I feel it would be more honest for you to say that this is purely a thread for people who believe in trans and alternative views and opinions are not required (contrary to your first paragraph)

MoseShrute Tue 23-Jan-18 14:54:16

Not sure why you've posted in feminism either. Maybe chat is better for you?

100lbtolose Tue 23-Jan-18 14:55:11

Hi everyone! It's here cos I think trans rights are a feminist issue, obvs you don't have to agree and that's fine! But I've as much right to post here as anyone. It really isn't to goad. There's room for everyone to express an opinion and have a thread that represents their views smile

Re babies being made it would be a bit odd if I didn't since I'm a woman in my 40s confused I don't think that's relevant tho to trans rights and like I said this thread isn't to have an argument it's for people who support trans people to have one thread to chat on (maybe I really am the only one though hmm)

Melamin Tue 23-Jan-18 14:55:36

Whoops - misread that as 'trains'

<backs out fast>

Mylady Tue 23-Jan-18 14:56:49

Ibiscuit

Melamin Tue 23-Jan-18 14:57:20

Re babies being made it would be a bit odd if I didn't since I'm a woman in my 40s

Are you the sort of woman that makes babies, or another sort of woman though, of which there are many. One cannot take anything for granted.........

CuckooCuckooClock Tue 23-Jan-18 14:57:37

it would be nice for this thread to be respected as trans friendly and not taken over for other reasons

It would be nice for this board to be respected as woman friendly and not taken over for other reasons.

100lbtolose Tue 23-Jan-18 14:57:52

@Moseshrute I just meant I didn't want people coming here to slag off other women for their views because everyone's entitled to an opinion and just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean their bad. but your right that I would like for this thread specifically to only have positive opinions on trans people because there are already so many other threads where negative opinions can be expressed and I haven't seen any positive ones!

DistanceCall Tue 23-Jan-18 14:59:12

Re babies being made it would be a bit odd if I didn't since I'm a woman in my 40s... I don't think that's relevant tho to trans rights

See, the point is that some people do think that the fact that biological women are (in principle) biologically capable of gestation whereas trans women are not is relevant to the discussion, because bio women are treated in specific ways because of this fact (while trans women are not and cannot be).

100lbtolose Tue 23-Jan-18 14:59:40

@melamin I can't have kids cos I am infertile sad

Melamin Tue 23-Jan-18 14:59:46

I'm all for trans rights and I think trans men are men and transwomen are women

Re babies being made it would be a bit odd if I didn't since I'm a woman in my 40s

These statements are not compatible.

hummusscot Tue 23-Jan-18 14:59:57

I'm with you smile
Sick of the hatred on this website. I'm incredibly proud and happy in my beautiful trans family and it's really distressing reading the rhetoric on here, so I generally avoid the threads.
This thread will likely be taken over by folk that hate trans people, but good on you for trying.

patrickharviesorganicmuesli Tue 23-Jan-18 14:59:58

I don't think you've really thought this through, have you OP...

Ask for this to be moved, feminism isn't the right place for it. This board is for discussion of women's rights and how the advancement of trans rights will negatively impact on them. Discussion of trans rights would be better placed on the LGBT board.

GinAndSonic Tue 23-Jan-18 15:00:54

Mate, read the room.

LizzieSiddal Tue 23-Jan-18 15:01:18

You’re right, Trans issues are a feminist issue and that’s because Women's’ rights are in the middle of being consigned to the dust bin, by Trans “rights”.

So don’t come and tell Women they aren’t allowed to comment on things which adversely affect them angry

patrickharviesorganicmuesli Tue 23-Jan-18 15:01:26

Yawn.... Nobody here hates trans people. Questioning trans ideology does not mean that you hate trans people. The only hatred I see comes from the trans community and is directed at feminists who are threatened with rape and violence for daring to question the trans movement.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 23-Jan-18 15:01:32

Really think that using the LGBT section would be a better bet. You say you're not goading, but I think it really does come across that you're asking for controversy.

Pagwatch Tue 23-Jan-18 15:01:49

There is no way you can control how people post on your thread.

If you posted in a different section it would be more likely that you would get the responses you want and less likely that you would seem to be goady .

But up to you of course. It entirely depends on what you are trying to achieve smile

100lbtolose Tue 23-Jan-18 15:02:00

Hello @hummusscot! I'm very glad it isn't just me grin I thought it was worth a try even though it isn't really working, but this way at least we know there are others xxxxx

This thread is not accepting new messages.